„Star Trek“ original series appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Aug 3, 2022.

1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Keep an eye out, LaLaLand tends to find a few in their inventory later on and bring a few back. They've got an email newsletter as well as Twitter and Facebook.

Shawn, MikaelaArsenault and RSteven like this.
  2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The La-la Land set was a limited edition of 6000. I was one of the earliest to order it, as I assumed it would sell out quickly. Actually, though I haven't kept tabs on its availability, this is the first I'm hearing of it being "unobtainium". It was expensive - I think around $225, but this was the set I'd dreamed of since back in the 60s, so it was worth it to me to splurge. In order to rationalize the purchase, I divided the $225 by 15 CDs, and realized that $15 for a new CD wasn't unheard of.

Hearing every original score and every scrap of library music for the series - all so familiar - is a joy.

Shawn, RSteven and BeatleJWOL like this.
  3. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

I saw this picture briefly in a quick promo spot for the new series in 1966, the first I heard about it. Whoa! I thought "Now THIS looks good!"

[​IMG]

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

RSteven likes this.
  5. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

The actor from 2001 was Gary Lockwood.

Blastproof and RSteven like this.
  6. Yep, that’s a great set - I purchased based it primarily for discs 1 and 2:

DISC ONE features cues from the original, classic STAR TREK TV series (most of which were released on our TOS BOX SET, but have been sourced from newly discovered elements), as well the oft-requested STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE track “Inner Workings,” (featuring the wind machine more prominently) and STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KAHN’s “End Titles,” (without the narration as heard on previous soundtrack releases.)

DISC TWO showcases the official world premiere release of music from STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES, the beloved 70’s Filmation TV series, as well as original STAR TREK-inspired compositions from Ron Jones, and STAR TREK BORG, a score by Dennis McCarthy from an interactive 1996 movie/computer game.

RSteven and BeatleJWOL like this.
  7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Talk about not being on top of things, I apparently bought that 50th set years ago. As I recall now, I bought it for the animated music score on Disc Two, and have never even explored any of the other discs. This (Disc One) is a nice addition to the TOS full set.

8. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

My favourite show of all time from first seeing it in the 1970s

9. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Shame that Gilligan didn't get canceled before it aired.

10. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Star Trek TOS has about 30% really good episodes that are rewatchable again and again. It's when you stray from those that it gets pretty cringy. TNG has a lot more great episodes (but then again it was on a lot longer).

Vic_1957 likes this.
  11. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I created these maybe 20 years ago, only to rediscover them on an old hard drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

Call me old-fashioned, but one thing I like about TOS in comparison to modern TV series is that the stories aren’t too strange:p

Stratoblaster, Dyland and RSteven like this.
  13. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

That makes a lot of sense

14. You must not have watched Spock's Brain yet then ;)

[​IMG]

15. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I don't remember when I started watching or what my first episode was. I know it was definitely before 1982 because I do remember seeing Wrath of Khan in the theater. It was an "Obsession" :angel: by the time I became a teenager. I know it's been given the TOS moniker to help designate which series a person is talking about, but it will always be just Star Trek to me.

I know this is an original series thread, but I love the spinoff series also. Well, up to Enterprise. Haven't seen anything since Beyond, and don't care to. Nothing against the Kelvin timeline or the new series, but my personal canon stops in 2005 when ENT was cancelled. Even did a complete franchise marathon for the 45th anniversary in 2011.

It's funny this thread was started. I just happen to be in the middle of watching Season 2 of TOS. IMO, the best season of the three. Who knows, I may end up doing another marathon.

RSteven and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  16. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Brain? What is brain?

Blastproof, Shawn and Jerry Horne like this.
  17. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

I've only been a Trekkie since 2016 but I just adore TOS and the animated series. I can watch with my brain turned on or off: there's plenty of philosophical food for thought... but also blinking lights, candy colors, fun sound effects and weird aliens.

RSteven, Shawn and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  18. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

He’s worse than dead!

19. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Second generation but a huge fan growing up in the ‘70s. There is no substitute for the original.

Highly recommend two podcasts to TOS aficionados - Enterprise Incidents with Scott Mantz and Steve Morris, and Inglorious Treksperts with Mark A. Altman and Daren Dochterman.

20. glittering-girl

glittering-girl Beatles/Who/Todd R.: My Mount Rushmore of Rock

:agree:

21. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Me too. Was hugely disappointed to find it was just a dummy.

Beatles Fan 4 Life and Dyland like this.
  22. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Yup. I was awake half the night trying to remember, and eventually had to get up and go online. The missis said "What are you doing?" It was difficult to explain.

23. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

They have several formulae that get reworked over and over. In the end it's not about the content so much as how it's done. Even in series 1, the first few episodes almost all depend on the "intruder from outside" plot - either an alter ego of or mutated member of the crew. Another one is the alternate universe idea.
    I think a big part of the fun is watching them to figure out which episode does the best version of each formula.

24. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I grew up in the UK thinking it was a product of the 70s - was astonished to find it began in 1966. I mean, that's before the first Pink Floyd album!

matt_vinyl and AudioEnz like this.
  25. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Thanks for starting this thread, Sarge!