Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [2019+]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Dec 9, 2018.

1. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Sean, marklamb, tug_of_war and 4 others like this.
  2. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Better make sure Deep Deep Feeling is on a 12", though... :nyah:

3. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

Quite a few Back to the Egg videos on YouTube have been blocked due to copyright claims. This has also happened before some previous archive sets and Beatles releases so maybe a Back to the Egg archive set is on the horizon.

4. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

We can only hope and keep our fingers crossed. The Big Barn Box was announced in October, so we have some time yet for a 2022 release.

theMess, Sean, Lewisboogie and 6 others like this.
  5. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Woo-hoo!!! The happy pineapple here is ready to jump and dance. Just needs a confirmation, or at least more rumours.

6. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

According to last rumour, it's being worked on. Which would then mean the videos are blocked because they may be included in the future box.
    Unfortunately, there's no sign of one on the horizon. Personally, I have a feeling the next Archives will be pushed forward.
    My guess is that 2022 may end with the documentary with Glastonbury, the CD/BR of Glastonbury, and/or something related to Wings' 72 tour because it now has a specialized store on Paul's website.
    2023 will definitely see Red Rose Speedway and Band on the Run get half-speed vinyls announced, and High in the Clouds is now scheduled for summer '23 as well — plus I think we'll get in the middle of it an announcement that Wings' greatest year will also see the final Wings-era Archives released.
    Keep in mind that 2022 has a new Ringo EP released, there's very strong indication of Revolver and Some Time In New York City in October, and we have an outstanding Concerts for Bangla Desh due as well.

Bilbo Swaggins likes this.
  7. Bilbo Swaggins

It looks like Back to the Egg is on the very, very distant horizon then!

I also wouldn’t rule out a new studio album from Paul next year in addition to the High in the Clouds soundtrack. We know he was in the studio last year with Andrew Watt and it will be 3 years since McCartney 3. Although MPL might not want two release of new Paul material so close to each other.

Maybe there’s room for the Back to the Egg release in 2024!

tug_of_war likes this.
  8. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Well, 2018 saw MPL release Egypt Station and the Big Barn Box.

Sean, Who Cares, JDeanB and 3 others like this.
  9. Bilbo Swaggins

That’s true, fingers crossed! There’s also the it’s a wonderful life soundtrack. I imagine they’ll release Paul’s demos/versions of these songs, even if it’s as part of a box set.

10. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Sean, RAJ717, Who Cares and 1 other person like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

theMess and Oyster Boy like this.
  12. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

... in addition to the Beatles (White Album) Anniversary box and John Lennon's Imagine Ultimate box set... :cool:

Sean, Lewisboogie, supermd and 5 others like this.
  13. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well, I would highly doubt there would be a Back To The Egg Archive that did not include the Goodnight Tonight [full length version]... [I mean, it's not like they just looped additional beats in, like, say, Say Say Say. This is the original unedited version.]

But, yeah, I can see getting tired of waiting for it.... :waiting:

Sean, Lewisboogie, supermd and 3 others like this.
  14. Brian from Canada

It was digital before, on the now-deleted iTunes edition of Back to the Egg in 2007.
    The 12" 80s has the extended mix of "Once Upon A Long Ago" for the first time digital.
    The Now yearbooks/extras for the 80s also have McCartney tracks. It looks like MPL or Capitol doesn't mind licensing out for comps now.

15. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Oyster Boy likes this.
  16. TomBart

TomBart Forum Resident

I maybe 90 by the time London Town & Egg come out

Shak Cohen, Sean, JLPMacca and 7 others like this.
  17. mcvoss

mcvoss Forum Resident

I assume you're 50 now..

Michael

Sean, boggs, Beatlebug and 1 other person like this.
  18. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Frustrating to say the least

JLPMacca likes this.
  19. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Yeah, the Archive Series was rolling along at a nice clip, but then it just stalled after the last set. I'm guessing maybe sales have been sluggish. So, just print fewer copies. But finish the series already. SMH.

Sean, Christopher B and tug_of_war like this.
  20. Brian from Canada

It's not sales and it's not stalled. Consider:
    1. 2008's Electric Arguments is the first HearMusic release to offer a more expensive multi-disc release instead of just the standard one… but there are issues with distribution,
    2. 2009's Good Evening New York City fixes those with a website-only version that's in a more traditional-style packaging,
    3. 2010's Band on the Run tests to see if there is a desire for such larger releases when it comes to previous titles being revisited,
    4. 2011's double release of McCartney and McCartney II tests to see if pairing up the releases can sell – even if it means a higher price point,
    5. 2012's Ram needs to go beyond the book into a box format, offering more additional materials,
    6. 2013's Venus And Mars and Speed Of Sound get moved to 2014 because the blu-ray of Rock Show! forces Wings Over America to come earlier – and, when they do, the decision is made to use less discs in favour of pocketed material in the book,
    7. 2015's Tug Of War and Pipes Of Peace signal that the series is going to go past the initial titles on the "Coming Soon" card, and MPL experiments with another limited, website-only edition,
    8. 2016's release of Flowers in the Dirt is pushed to 2017 because the HearMusic contract closes with another multi-disc set instead (the 4 CD Pure McCartney), and then Paul's decision to limit the CDs for cost leads to fans angry about download-only tracks,
    9. 2017's release is followed by an interview with his manager that says other titles are now being proposed to Paul to fill in the gaps,
    10. 2018's Wings 71-73 experiments with the idea of a more expensive, limited edition version with extra material — and insiders tell us soon after that Flaming Pie is done, work is starting on London Town and Back to the Egg (the latter with legal issues), but there's no start on Broad Street, Press to Play or Off the Ground as of yet,
    11. 2019 opts to offer a more expensive, limited edition version with extra products of Egypt Station… and, while disappointing fans in the way it handled musical content vs other content, the set encourages MPL further,
    12. 2020's release of Flaming Pie offers both the standard Archive edition and, for the first time, a larger more expensive set,
    13. 2021 opts to offer a different retrospective: Lyrics, which is approximately the same price point as the Archives pre-discount,
    and now, in 2022, it looks like MPL is hoping to use the combination of McCartney I/II/III to fill that place while the next Archives are prepared.
    Other releases are being delayed – High in the Clouds was originally planned for this summer but pushed a year, while the theatrical closures due to covid likely delayed It's a Wonderful Life.

It's possible that MPL may choose to use the remaining months of this year to get a release out: London Town we now hear is finished while Back to the Egg is being worked on, and they may split them, or they may go for another release.
    It's also possible that MPL may see a softcover edition of Lyrics may match with McCartney I/II/III to complete this year's release and those Archives are being delayed for next year, which gives time for MPL to get back into pre-covid production on other titles.
    After all, we're still seeing delays due to covid… such as George Michael's box getting pushed six weeks at the very last moment.

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

And my wallet became much lighter that year. :laugh:

theMess, Sean, jmxw and 1 other person like this.
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I want the Cold Cuts tracks from this era so bad! I wish they would release a separate Cold Cuts as it was in its 1980 version. That’s the best one, I think. I’d honestly love a Cold Cuts box with multiple versions of it over the years, as they also got different mixes; I don’t believe any mixes were recycled going to each iteration.

23. Bilbo Swaggins

The Toy album box set by David Bowie is a similar comparison and that was really well received, I don’t see why Cold Cuts wouldn’t be either.

24. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

May the Gods of unreleased material allow this to happen!

25. Brian from Canada

Toy was new remakes of his earliest material with some other tracks, got abandoned in favour of a different project, and had some Toy tracks become b-sides for its replacement.
    Paul's abandoned follow up to Press to Play would be a more similar comparison, though it would be two more projects before those cuts became b-sides.
    Cold Cuts is more of an unreleased rarities collection that was, at one point, conceived as a companion piece for a hits collection in the same period.
    The only similarity is that their existence was well known amongst fan circles.
    At this point, though, MPL is likely still thinking of Cold Cuts as the guaranteed tracks for the Archives: note that the only ones missing are the two Paris '74 cuts ("Proud Mum" and instrumental "Tomorrow") which can be on Anthology because they're not really full songs, and the songs from '77-'80.

Personally, I think that, if you are going to issue Cold Cuts at long last, that should be the extra disc in a Wings '77-'80 set which combines London Town and Back to the Egg.
    This way, the fans that shell out more get only alternate mixes of tracks that those who miss out aren't carping about never getting a copy of.
    It also allows the '79 tour material to get a separate release which, based on the spreading of the Glasgow bootleg, definitely has a demand for.

Sean, steepien and Lewisboogie like this.