Wrong / Alternate Tracks Used In Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mollusk, Jun 9, 2022.

1. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Interesting, I wonder how that happened. Must be 2 different versions out there I guess, since obviously the song wasn't new when CDs came out

Michael and Mollusk like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that was the only flub with that song...just mistakenly on a few CDs back in the 90's.

Mollusk likes this.
  3. classicrockguy

And my Shell gas station giveaway cassette back in the 90s, mostly big 60s/70s hits.

Mollusk, R. Totale and Michael like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

probably the same as the CD...

Mollusk likes this.
  5. MielR

MielR THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Was that the first Budokan CD? I know there was a different take of one of the songs which is why I kept it, but I thought it was "Clock Strikes Ten".

That's interesting. The Ryko release is the only one I have.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    Mollusk and Mylene like this.
  6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The first pressing of Pere Ubu’s The Art of Walking had the ‘wrong’ versions of two tracks Miles and Arabia. Rough Trade had asked David Thomas to add vocals to those tracks before they released it. He did. And yet the first pressing has the instrumental tracks. They had used the wrong master. Rough Trade then repressed with their preferred vocal versions.

Since then there have been various cds and represses with or without the band’s preferred original instrumental tracks.

Sometimes Arabia is an edited shorter instrumental version and then the names of the tracks change. Miles, Tribute to Miles or Miles in the Basement. Arabia or Arabian Nights. One of the tracks was remixed when they added the vocals.

I’m not sure there’s one correct version on CD. At least not one with the original unedited versions and the best dynamic range.

I think it’s the kind of messy release history that David Thomas enjoys. Each time it’s rereleased he changes something about those two tracks.

Mollusk likes this.
  7. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Rickie Lee Jones - The Magazine. The LP track Rorschachs was a really nice vocal effort. Pretty disappointed when it was replaced by an instrumental effort on the CD release.

Mollusk likes this.
  8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I hadn't heard that it was Rough Trade's prompting which had anything to do with the Ubu example above, and it sounds fishy anyway. David has control. I'd be more likely to think it was a prank aimed at "exclusive" track fetishists. Like all of us in this thread.

Mollusk likes this.
  9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

These cassettes?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My parents had the complete collection of both of these series, and played them endlessly while I was growing up. These tapes basically represent the beginning and foundation of my musical knowledge!

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This is the one that is still in print too, which is annoying!

Boom Operator and Mollusk like this.
  11. classicrockguy

I don't think it was those, had a red cover. I remember It had "You Can't Hurry Love" and "Mama Told Me Not to Come" and "Your Live Keeps Lifting Me Higher", as well as Red Rubber Ball. May have been the late 80s/early 90s

ARK and Mollusk like this.
  12. classicrockguy

ARK and Mollusk like this.
  13. Con

Con Forum Resident

I have a copy (cd) of The Who Sell Out that plays the Cornerstones album by Jimi Hendrix , does that count, probably not :rolleyes:

Mollusk likes this.
  14. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Senior Member

Mollusk and MielR like this.
  15. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

When "Face The Music" by ELO was first issued on CD, they mistakenly used the banded DJ copy of the LP, which cut off the first minute and a half of "Fire On High"(!), as well as doing away with the segues between several tracks. They fixed the error later on.
    [​IMG]

ARK, wayneklein, Lewisboogie and 2 others like this.
  16. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

The Rascals Anthology on Rhino had an issue with an incorrect track or two used. They pressed a corrected cd to replace the incorrect one.

Lewisboogie and Mollusk like this.
  17. Knowing Neil, yeah.

18. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Fleetwood Mac's 1990 Tusk CD used an alternate mix of "I Know I'm Not Wrong". This was repeated on the 2004 CD but finally corrected on the 2015 reissue. The original cassette of Fleetwood Mac's Mirage used a different mix of "Straight Back" than the vinyl.

The original 1994 Bong Load vinyl press of Beck's Mellow Gold used an alternate version of "Pay No Mind". This was corrected on later pressings. The 2008 deluxe CD issue of Beck's Odelay used alternate mixes of certain album tracks by mistake.

ARK, Lewisboogie, pwhytey and 2 others like this.
  19. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

This may be slightly off-topic, but I enjoy this thread a lot so consider it a bump. I've just obtained the SHM It's Only Rock 'N' Roll, and I can confirm the following:
    • "Fingerprint File" is slower than the Columbia and Virgin CDs (about 6.689% slower, to be specific). Or, more accurately, the Columbia and Virgin CDs – and the original LP – have been sped up by about 6.689%.
    • "Luxury" is the longer (5:00) version present on the Virgin CD, and not the edited (4:30) version on the Columbia CD. It's simply an earlier fade on the Columbia CD, unlike "Slave" on Tattoo You (I haven't compared "Wanna Hold You" yet).
    • "Time Waits For No One" has about 15 extra seconds of the "ticking clock" drumbeat at the end of the song. The Virgin and Columbia CDs both fade out at the same point; the SHM-CD keeps going and starts slowing down about 5 seconds after the previous two have faded out.
    I would love to do a more detailed comparison of "Slave", but my SHM-CD of Tattoo You arrived destroyed and I'm trying to find a functioning copy at a reasonable price. :disgust:

20. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

The slow Fingerprint File is the correct speed. They released it at the wrong speed initially and it remained that way for decades. I fixed it in Audacy a while back. Beggars Banquet was released at the wrong speed as well originally. Runs fast

Jake362 likes this.
  21. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

Beggars Banquet?
    The songs used to be longer...
    Corrected speed... 2002

pablo fanques likes this.
  22. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

was it acknowledged as a mistake. someone had to locate the mixes.
    and there were a lot of different names and versions of those songs.

i noticed they didn't really promote they were unreleased. but maybe
    that was intentional. not really sure on the history of them.

later

c-eling likes this.
  23. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Pretty sure they were goofs. Good for us, that mix of Hold Back The Rain is excellent!

negative1 likes this.
  24. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Ok I might have that one backwards but yeah, 2002 they finally fixed it

Jake362 likes this.
  25. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

The Only Ones... There's an Only Ones one, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was - possibly on the Sony CD reissue of the first album, self-titled - probably a wrong bonus track. If not that, it was something on the Edsel 2-CD compilation Why Don't You Kill Yourself. Anyone else know?