Better Call Saul - All Things Discussion*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Jan 7, 2021.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I kinda miss this Kim and Jimmy...

Tim S, milankey and Edgard Varese like this.
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Finding all kind of fun stuff that Ive missed through the years of BCS...

Check this out..pretty cool..

Tim S likes this.
  3. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

i can not believe
    there a few , not liking
    the last 2 episodes

I think they have been a new peak, unachieved by any episode , in Episodic Television, History

4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

No one would put themselves through multiple rounds of chemo to fake cancer.

Ridiculous. Walt put himself in that position by cooking the best, purest meth and convincing Gus to look past Jesse who initially was a deal breaker because Gus doesn't hire junkies. Yes, Mike and Saul were conduits to put Walt in touch with Gus, but they were catalysts, not the explosive chemical reaction that unfolded in BB. To put this all on Saul, as BCS seems to attempt, is revisionist and dishonest. The people ultimately responsible for what happened are Walt and Gus.

I never saw the BBC series. I imagine it's more tame but let me know what you think.

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Boy I'll be glad when this is over and I don't have to read how people think the series ought to be rather than how it is.

6. I had previously stated that I don't think the showrunners will drop the ball at the goal line.

Well, it's 3rd down, and 2 yards to go, at the goal line, and they've just used two timeouts (episodes 10 & 11). A touchdown is the only way to wrap up well.

Tim S, Spitfire and TerryB like this.
  7. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

The phone call with Francesca shows that cartel money was buried in nail salons, laser tag etc.

Lonson likes this.
  8. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

where did they supposedly leave Howards car to be found after his death? did they drive it all the way from Albuquerque to the nearest ocean beach - San Diego is a 12 hour drive. didn't gas stations have cameras at the pumps in 2010?

9. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Yeah, "have to"... as though it's court-ordered.

The entire SH Forum is composed of threads featuring folks discussing and analyzing endless reissues, vinyl quality, gear, etc. These threads feature critiques and analysis.

If someone gets on a thread and just "craps" with something like, "Yeah, this {LP, CD box set, receiver, headphones, etc.} is just bull****" without any thought or explanation, I can see your point.

But if there's a critique, and it's a well-thought-out analysis expressing a plausible point of view, I think it's more than valid to post. I actually find the posts I don't agree with quite interesting.

For example, @mpayan often posts long analyses of symbolism and metaphors throughout the show while @GregM often posts critiques about story structure and character motivation. Do I agree with all of these posts? Hell no! But these dudes take the time to watch the show very intently and their posts are clear and all points plausibly substantiated. I find them interesting to read, and I'm not angered or frustrated if I don't agree with them.

The title of this thread is "Better Call Saul - Season Six Discussion" -- it's just a general discussion of the show that casts a very wide net.

This doesn't haven't to be the only thread on this show -- Anyone can set up a more slanted one, such as "In Praise of Vince Gilligan and All His Projects" or such and get the more focused line of comments that they wish to see.

proedros, stereoptic, Tim S and 3 others like this.
  10. Lonson

I'll answer you about this once again. I'm not saying these persons have no right to post in this thread. And I enjoy reading 95 percent of this thread.

I "have to" read some when I'm quoted, and try my best to read all posts but get so tired of the "I could do better than this" attitude that read both in and in between the lines over and over from a few persons. They don't enjoy the show, they just enjoy posting "criticisms" over and over and supposedly feeling superior to the creators (that's how it comes off). And I have a right to express this just as the others have the right to go on and on about how badly written this show is. Just a few more weeks to go.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  11. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

The diversity in this discussion is thought provoking and enhances my enjoyment of the show. The incessant, repetitive pounding of one point of view is tiresome IMO. But everyone has a right to their opinions, and this is an open forum.

proedros, RSteven, Tim S and 3 others like this.
  12. Lonson

I'd like to note once again that I never said otherwise. I've tried to not use the ignore function, perhaps I should. But there's just a few weeks to go.

Edgard Varese and mikestar like this.
  13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Mike's explanation suggested that the car would have mileage added to the odometer via some artificial means, not from actually being driven there. So I'd wager it was taken there inside a truck, and brought out in the dark of night relatively close to the beach.

14. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I'm looking forward to a spectacular and unexpected finish. Satisfying endings are as important to me as everything else in a story arc.

Edgard Varese, lschwart and Lonson like this.
  15. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

It's also awfully easy to swap out plates, innit?

Dan

milankey likes this.
  16. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

No art is above criticism, and yet, I do believe that some get off on over-criticizing in a bizarre Dunning-Kruger hoedown. There's an awful lot of OCD on SHF, in some cases where a given thing must satisfy an unreasonable amount of criteria before it can be "enjoyed". Indeed, it becomes hazy if and where the "enjoyment" exists. And I do legitimately have OCD, just not expressed that way. Opinions...everyone's got 'em, and I scroll past a few, just as I'm certain mine are, too.

Dan

17. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Right, they could have driven it with fake, then replaced with real. But I do vaguely recall Mike's language being commensurate with them just adjusting the odometer.

nosticker likes this.
  18. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Switched plates would just introduce the possibility of getting pulled over and found out.

19. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

20. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Tim S and mpayan like this.
  21. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I cannot think of very many great TV series that had great series endings. The only one that comes to mind is Mad Men. In fact usually the entire last season of the "greats" have been disappointing. Sopranos comes to mind.
    So far this last season of BCS has been very good.

22. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I liked the Sopranos ending and BB, and parts of Mad Men could of been done better imo but the actual end scene fit Don Draper in a strange way.
    As for BCS and the idea they seem to be pushing Saul as the catalyst for what Walt ended up doing , no way ! He was determined with it without Saul , and was actually adverse to him at first if you remember .

proedros and RSteven like this.
  23. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

And your comment has achieved a new peak of hyperbole in Internet history. Congrats.

proedros, GregM and GMfan87' like this.
  24. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Ha, yes this was surprising to see , to each their own of course. This last one , mixed, had some good points. Nippy was very good to me, except the scam didn’t need to keep being shown but that’s their style on this show.
    More Peter Gould?
    Didn’t seem to be Gillian on BB , unless he’s just approached this much differently.

25. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I think I had a similar reaction but I also found "Nippy" to be something of a mixed bag. It's not that I wasn't engaged, it was that for the first time in the show's run I felt like I was almost ahead of the storytelling. The most recent episode imparted a similar feeling in that I felt like I was watching some sort of forgone conclusion.

Also, the flashbacks to "Breaking Bad" felt a little unnecessary in my opinion--more like lazy fan service than genuine plot development. What's funny is that early in the show's run I was telling myself how cool it would be if Cranston and Paul reprised their roles without the public knowing, so that it was a great surprise. Instead, we saw it coming from miles away and it felt like something of a letdown to me. I hear that they'll appear in one or both of the next episodes so we'll see if that changes.

I know that anything can happen, so maybe the show will go in a direction that makes the recent two episodes seem brilliant in retrospect. But right now it feels like they're trying to drive home this kind of soulless vibe and it feels a little obvious and ham-fisted, to me. I think they should have done a bridge episode that paralleled "Breaking Bad" and showed more of Saul's world at that time, maybe even incorporating Walt and Jessie in an offhand or even funny way. Then by the time we get back to Gene, it feels a little more like we didn't miss out on an episode that never came. Or maybe that episode is yet to come. I guess we'll see.

thgord, Tim S, GMfan87' and 2 others like this.