Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Randy

Randy Never Complain About The A/C On A Private Jet

I ditched it for reasons of convenience, NOT sound. Never said analog was bad, unlike those who blast digital regularly.

hvbias, mpayan and sunspot42 like this.
  2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Revenue literally is income… go ahead and check a dictionary if you disagree.

MonkeyTennis and ParloFax like this.
  3. Otto Konrad

Otto Konrad Forum Resident

No, I think he was trolling for biased analog purists like me :)

Plenty of great sounding digital sourced recordings. No argument there. But as Bernie Grundman observes mastering from an analog tape results in a more natural sound.

Which leads me to another point. MOFI has ALWAYS been about goosing it’s masterings to get a sound that appeals to audiophiles. Think Stan Ricker and his famous smiley face eq (bass/treble boosts). MOFI has never been about doing flat transfers to capture what has been on the master tape, regardless of their sources. Mastering from DSD just facilitates that aesthetic.

Mike E in his follow up video to his trip to MFSL carried on about how great the pending One Step Thriller test pressing sounded with all of Quincy Jones compression taken off. I thought, wait a minute, wasn’t that Quincy’s choice to put that compression there in the first place.

NorthNY Mark, DaveyF and jo66hn like this.
  4. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

No it’s not.

timzigs likes this.
  5. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Seems like a lot of boo boo hurt audiophiles because they were taken for marks strolling the midway at a carnival.

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

ok:
    Revenue vs. Income: What's the Difference?
    • Revenue is the total amount of income generated by the sale of goods or services related to the company's primary operations.
    • Income or net income is a company's total earnings or profit.

Income = Revenue - Expenses

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's enlightening to read your comments, in light of the vocabulary that you use; golden eared crowd, egos, analog sycophants, etc.

I think you've proven your point regarding bias but not in the way that you'd have hoped.

rangda, spencer1, Pretorius and 10 others like this.
  8. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Revenue = Gross sales. Go ahead and check a dictionary if you disagree…or check the irs.

9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

MonkeyTennis and Joe Stark like this.
  10. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

“Not that you can’t make good records with digital, but it just isn’t as natural as when you use the original tape,” says Bernie Grundman, 78,

I can't roll my eyes enough. "natural," he says. is that like the "natural" they put on every food label these days, the ultimate meaningless word?

dheath, rofffe, rubberhead and 4 others like this.
  11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, it was a cheap shot and in jest. But let me tell you from the analog side there's a LOT more people who blast vinyl regularly. There's people here whose whole reason for posting about vinyl is to brag about how they ditched it all in the 80's and what miserable experiences they had with it. I cannot think of one person who says the same thing about CDs and digital. Even the most ardent vinyl advocates usually retain the ability to play digital music but there's many people who ditched their turntables and their only relationship with vinyl is to "blast" it.

timzigs, NorthNY Mark and Classicrock like this.
  12. Randy

I would expect nothing less from you, and that's OK. I respect your opinion, nonetheless.

13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

That’s profit.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, it's just Bernie Grundman, the guy who's been mastering records brilliantly for 50 years, analog and digital formats. What the hell can he possibly know?

15. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Thank you for confirming the essence of my take on your WP quote.

Strat-Mangler and FunkJazz like this.
  16. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

If you blindly believe that Mofi makes the best pressings across the board, that might be the real story.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  17. captwillard

You are reading it wrong. Revenue equals sales price x number of units sold.

18. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Disagree completely with your strawman. That quote of his is totally bogus.

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. Randy

I really dig vinyl, and have not said one bad thing about it. I don't dig people trashing the sound of either vinyl or digital ... they both have their merits. My point throughout has been that NoFi-Gate should serve as a wake-up call to the digital trashers.

20. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Let’s not turn this into an accounting or GAAP thread. MoFi lied!

21. Otto Konrad

Otto Konrad Forum Resident

What?

FashionBoy likes this.
  22. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

earnings, profit, and income are all terms that refer to the surplus after expenses are deducted.
    "revenue" is the gross amount of sales, it's not the same thing.

23. captwillard

Profit is generally sales less cost of goods sold. Net income is profit less sga, other income exp, and taxes.

24. Booyaa73

Booyaa73 Often wrong, never in doubt.

There might be different definitions for income for individuals vs. companies. For example my "income" is my salary, but I have expenses. Boy do I have expenses! I get taxed on my income (my revenue), but not by how much it exceeds my expenses (assuming it actually DOES exceed my expenses!)

grx8 and Big Blue like this.
  25. Randy

I don't believe that, but good point.

Revolver likes this.