300 Fender Employees Get Laid Off

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KT88, Aug 5, 2022.

1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member Thread Starter

-Bill

Charile, head_unit and Tone? like this.
  2. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

I watched the video. So my understanding is, these were only US Fender employees, not worldwide. And the main reason is because a bunch of International made Fender products are sitting in a warehouse somewhere unsold?
    The guy was hard to follow in his explanation of things. At any rate, this sux.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  3. KT88

Yeah, that was my take. Basically a bunch of suits like making rent on the backs of Chinese girls, all the while dumping on a legendary US mfg facility.
    -Bill.

Charile, head_unit, Revolver and 9 others like this.
  4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

US employees are for the most part paid higher than non USA based employees. Most companies just look at the bottom line and have little to no loyalty to employees or their location. It is all about costs.

Charile, wgb113, kt66brooklyn and 4 others like this.
  5. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I thought it was mostly second shift and some product managers. My guess is they are adjusting to the demand/production schedules of the Fender USA guitars. They can’t make Fender USA overseas or in Mexico.

Tim 2 and kt66brooklyn like this.
  6. KT88

Nor should they, IMO. I can see a bit more affordable Mexican counterpart, but really ...crippling US production of decent gear in favor of Asian crap? I am a service tech for this stuff (no relation to any brand or make) and I can tell you that the new Asian stuff, specifically the mainland China stuff is junk.
    -Bill

7. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

8. KT88

9. captwillard

The Fender Classic Vibe series is pretty solid and, I believe is made in Korea or China. Fender Japan is pretty nice too, but much of that doesn’t make it to the us. Gretsch stuff coming from Japan and China is pretty solid, as well. I am not a guitar tech, so I don’t get to see problems.

10. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I get crap every time I say buy Made In USA , this is what happens when you don’t. American labor has been going overseas since the 70’s and 80’s. This is the fall out from that . Thank you corporate greed .

11. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Things just haven't been the same since Freddy died.

Gibsonian and Joel S like this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

300 people? Fender has so many employees? Far different from the pre-CBS days when they had 10.

drmevo, marcb, Dave112 and 5 others like this.
  13. sfoclt

sfoclt Forum Resident

Freddie’s dead.

14. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Most of my system except for BluRay player and SMS 1 is Made In USA , those are made in China

My DACs are made in Greece and Germany and are excellent quality . One tuner is Canadian the other is US. Amps , preamp and speakers are USA.

I’m not saying everything made in China is bad , but I’ll avoid Chinese when I can. They cut too many corners. B.O.M. on most stuff is the cheapest way out almost every time. Bean counters will save penny everywhere they can without respect to quality

Charile, head_unit and Tim 2 like this.
  15. I’ve liked what their Custom Shop has been doing the last couple years so really sorry to read this.

16. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    jonwoody and Tone? like this.
  17. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I try buying things made as close to where I live, as possible. Often times this means finding a used version (before production was moved), or simply going without.

Paully and Tim 2 like this.
  18. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I can't comment on build quality lately, but does Fender USA really need to make the simple Strat/Tele line so confusing? There are literally dozens of models for each - and it's often hard to tell the difference. Marketing seems overly cluttered with these model variations.

19. captwillard

Rotel has had a factory in China for decades and their quality is excellent. The same can be said for Eastman and Blueridge guitars. I think you have to look at manufacturers independently. Sure, there is some low quality stuff coming out of China, but there is also high quality stuff.

20. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

In 2017, the Washington Post published an article, The Death of the Electric Guitar, describing the "slow, secret death" of the electric guitar. It painted a picture of Guitar Center and the two large manufacturers, Gibson and Fender, being up to their neck in debt, and the third largest manufacturer, PSR, laying off staff to make way for producing cheaper guitars. Gruhn Guitars was quoted in the article describing the market was not growing, calling the business "not sustainable".

Then in 2020, the New York Times published an article, Guitars Are Back, Baby, talking about the surprising surge in guitar sales during the pandemic. The manufacturers and retailers could not keep up with demand.

Now Guitar Center has filed for bankruptcy, Sweetwater was sold to private equity, Fender has too much inventory and is laying off staff ...

It's been a wild ride for the guitar industry these past few years.

head_unit, Dan C, jonwoody and 4 others like this.
  21. It’s simple math too - guitars tend to survive but people don’t. It’s been nearly 70 years since mass production of the modern electric guitar started, there are a heck of a lot more instruments than players. And as players get older they sell off collections. Supply and demand.

head_unit, Paully, Revolver and 5 others like this.
  22. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

With stereo equipment (and many products), a novice who wants to get into great sound can jump into hobby at their price point, high or low, and enjoy it immediately.

Guitars are an odd industry in that you have to get the customer to learn to play the guitar, then later you sell them the expensive models. Few beginners, even if they have money, will buy a custom shop guitar or a vintage Les Paul as their first one to learn how to chord. You have to keep feeding cheap guitars into the market to get people to learn to play guitar, then move them up the price ladder over time.

I have seen guitars dealers discuss whether vintage Les Pauls will collapse in value once the boomer generation passes. Aging boomers with money have been driving up the prices of vintage Les Pauls. But there doesn't seem to be a younger generation interested in inheriting the Les Paul as their guitar of choice. As between Gibson and Les Paul, Gibson seems focused on selling expensive, high-quality guitars to older guitar players, while Fender has been focused on selling cheaper guitars to beginners. Like the 1980s, before Slash re-popularized it with his Les Paul (which was actually a copy), you don't seem to see a lot of Gibsons (or Les Pauls) being favored by younger musicians.

23. captwillard

It’s been wild for a lot of manufacturers. Crazy spending during the pandemic wasn’t going to last. Supply chain isles are being worked through. However, big box retailers also have a surplus of small appliances, home goods, outdoor furniture, etc. It just isn’t guitars and amps.

For Fender USA, the entry point appears to be at $1,399. That is a lot of money for some people. Fender Mexico have an entry point of $850 which isn’t cheap, either. It’s quite possible the economics are indicating that they don’t need to make as many of these models.

head_unit, Tim S and Shawn like this.
  24. captwillard

Gibson utilizes Epiphone to sell their entry level stuff. It’s hard to say what young guitarists are gravitating towards because it’s so trendy. Jazzmasters/Jaguars, Telecasters, SG’s, and 335s all have had a run of being the trendy guitar the past 10-15 years. Gretschs also appear to be more popular. In Nashville, you see a lot more PRS and Gibson’s in the Country touring arsenals than you used to.

head_unit, SteveFord and Turnaround like this.
  25. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Agreed. Peloton was the poster child example.

head_unit likes this.