Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

That WaPo article reads like an episode of Veep :laugh:

OldSoul, MonkeyTennis and bopdd like this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Massive assumption.

3. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Fremmer is not a journalist. He's an opinion writer/reviewer who is all together much too cosy with the industry itself. On a bad day you could call him a shill.

rofffe, piepants, Ed Casey and 12 others like this.
  4. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Finally being upfront about their process is one thing, but I'm surprised they're still sticking with DSD for most (all?) releases and not coming out and saying "fine, you want AAA, here's some upcoming AAA releases". But seems like they're just sticking with the digital step, good or bad.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yep, that...and the comment by the guy who concludes analog is the clear winner over digital because his German analog pressing of the White Album of the original mix blows away the 50th anniversary pressing of the digital RE-MIX. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    Randy likes this.
  6. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

I don't know. Maybe all this is total BS. Maybe the car broke down in between. Who knows ?

7. The strangest thing in the article was that revelation that Mike's father was murdered when Mike was 11. Sad as that is, WTF does that have do with with any of this? I understand the concept of adding background to your main protagonist but that was crazy.

The writer had previously written an article about something to do with the Eric Clapton problem. And he didn't have the courtesy to interview me after my When Did Eric Clapton Become Such a Wanker video. :tiphat: :D

troggy, April Snow, OldSoul and 6 others like this.
  8. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Reading the article, it seems the truth came out because of the lack of journalistic chops, and knee jerk bungling from MoFi folks. Had this whole laurel and hardy episode not played out, we may have never known the truth.

RobCos02330 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  9. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

Remember the good ol' days when all we had to stress about was buying a LP with a skip?

vinyldad62 and mpayan like this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Good luck with that.

mpayan likes this.
  11. digilog

digilog Forum Resident

I think that DAA or DDA are just fine if done correctly. And I disagree that “early digital “ A/D is generally poor. Plenty of counter examples… especially in classical… Telarc, Denon, etc.
    The 3M recorder was used in film soundtracks as early as 1979. And Soundstream was 50khz in the late 1970s. And LPs and tapes made from them were getting rave reviews from leading audio mags like Audio and High Fidelity. I know… my closet is fulla back issues!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  12. Yes it did, but there were many more follow up questions that should have been asked. Like why did you continue to infer these were all analogue? Who make that decision?

13. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Jim Davis stuck at the Avis or whatever line is utter BS.

Lying fools!

4-2-7, monovinyl, WonkyDonkey and 2 others like this.
  14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Good point. I thought all that background on Mike's troubled upbringing didn't add much at all, and the stuff about how he was previously an antiques and mattress seller kind of demeaned his standing. ("Records are just the latest thing this high school dropout has decided to sell"). I guess you could argue it was helping to paint how he is "David" to MFSL's Golliath. But it just seemed unnecessary.

15. Segasonic91

Segasonic91 Forum Resident

Ha, well said. The Jp pressings bashings really peevs me off. I often read comments like "I didn't like XXX, too bright and no bass!". For those titles I own with one of those comments, I often wonder if the poster has even really LISTENED to said Jp pressing, because it is usually complete bulls**t.

patient_ot likes this.
  16. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Yeah, maybe. It does seem strange.

Any chance that Wood was involved in the leak? The article states that it was he who was behind the invitation to Esposito. Hard to believe that he would do such a thing on his own authority without Davis being consulted…

…Unless he didn’t want Davis to know he had made the offer. If he could spin this as an emergency decision, maybe he could cut Davis out entirely? So create or facilitate the leak, extend the offer (and, guys, it is strange that Esposito was called in like this as opposed to Fremer or somebody better connected in the vinyl world), get the DSD word out. Why didn’t Davis get picked up at the airport? At first I laughed at that detail, but now I’m wondering if maybe there’s some significance to it.

As to why he Wood did this in the first place, that’s another mystery. Maybe he was tired of the lies?

(Alternatively, maybe I’ve been reading too many Michael Connelly novels.)

17. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I respectfully disagree. Mike E brought it up, apparently Fremer knew about it for awhile but did not.

A journalist is not a record producing expert.
    One was not required for these simple questions:
    Is there a digital step? Yes
    What is it? Tape to DSD, processed, DSD to DA to lathe.
    We got those answers.

Detailed technical content would have clouded the issue. We didn't care about 'how', only 'if'.

timzigs, rofffe, mpayan and 9 others like this.
  18. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

The more cynical take is that DSD because a solution to the problem that Mofi could not get physical access to take "Original Master Tapes" back to
    their mastering studio. They had no choice but to go the route of digital copy. The process they came up with clearly works well, but at least in the beginning,
    the choice wasn't theirs, they made the best of the hand they were dealt.

sunspot42, patient_ot and FashionBoy like this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

IMO Fremer sees himself as a card-carrying member of the expert class. As I see it, he was completely upstaged (and even embarrassed) by a non-member of the expert class. Then he was put out because he had no ability - even as a gatekeeper - to control the narrative.

Scott222C, NapalmBrain, wpjs and 20 others like this.
  20. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

21. Reds622

Reds622 Forum Resident

I’m sure this has been said countless times throughout this forum, but I’m going to say it again.

It really is amazing the decision In-Groove Mike made to blow the whistle on all of this. Perhaps it would have come out eventually anyways, but what he did I would argue certainly went against his own personal and monetary interest… and yet, he did it anyways, all in the name of transparency and information for his customers.

Pretty amazing when you think about it. I think he deserves credit for that.

22. 100% spot on. That is exactly how I read this. The normal cabal of protectors of the industry lost the ability to spin what has transpired.

rofffe, DaveyF, mpayan and 8 others like this.
  23. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

It's called 'background' by 'journalists' to give insight into a subjects character.
    It says a lot about Mike E's character as did Fremer's email did about his.

Perhaps he did see your video and that is why he didn't? ;)

spencer1, mpayan and Mazzy like this.
  24. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Based on that story, I now have this idea in my head that Mike E nobly quit the mattress industry after realising the chemicals used in memory foam were actually killing his customers LOL! (I switched to latex mattresses several years ago, I recommend everyone do the same..)

mpayan, sunspot42, Fruff76 and 2 others like this.
  25. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

They're gonna keep doing what they do best, they've proven it to be (generally) a winning formula.

mpayan likes this.