Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Randy

Randy Never Complain About The A/C On A Private Jet

Insubordination for speaking to the press.

John Schofield likes this.
  2. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

You guys are missing the point. You don't fire the guy with all the company secrets.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

That’s probably what they’ll do. They really don’t have any other choice if they want to continue reissuing vinyl. I don’t know if they’ll say much better but I’m sure they will say their method has some advantages over an all analog master.

4. This makes no sense and doesn't accurately describe Fremer's take on this.

Pretorius and Melele like this.
  5. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Of course, I never said it did. I was just throwing the question out there.

6. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

With a trend like that, who needs fremernies?

Pali Gap likes this.
  7. Reds622

Reds622 Forum Resident

We would need some of the big players to be cooperative here.. maybe an insider or two… but there is the outline of a movie here.

We have the underdog whistle blower with the challenging life story.

We have the lying and deceit from the multi million dollar corporation.

We have the nostalgia of vinyl records/classic music.

All we need is quick cuts and a fast pace by the filmmaker.

I can see it. Someone reach out to Hollywood.

8. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

Steve isn’t this essentially what Sheffield Labs did with their direct to disc process back in the day?

9. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

They actually created their own 'market trend'- premium releases cut from DSD files. They are the undisputed leader of that trend.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No. They cut live from a studio, like a record from 1888 to 1949.

DaveyF, Dmann201, Twinsfan007 and 3 others like this.
  11. So apparently there is one main whistle blower who told this MoFi digital thing to almost everyone listed in the WAPO article. We hear it is someone obvious. I still have no idea. I hope it doesn't take decades to find out like it took discovering who Deep Throat was.

12. monovinyl

monovinyl Senior Member

I hope so.
    Any lawyers here?
    If so...I'm in.

13. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Those were cut live from the actual performance in real time. They might have run a tape machine to capture it as well. But tape was not the source, it was the musicians playing the instruments sitting in the same room.
    I'm not Steve. :) Sorry.

John Schofield likes this.
  14. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Funny, people place whistleblowers on high pedestals (Snowden, WikiLeaks, etc) however, when a small record store owner breaks something wide open.....he is crushed by the establishment within that business sector and their fans.

Clucking likes this.
  15. qeter

qeter Well-Known Member

15 years ago there was still a local radio station that transmitted live performances of local musicians on FM radio all analog. That time I made 7,5 ips two track recordings on my Revox G 36 and had the opportunity to compare the live FM (on a Leak Throughline tuner) with the tape later on. Except the added hiss the result was pure Hi-Fi and I still play those tapes from time to time.
    2009 I purchased a Korg MR2000s and made FM live radio recordings on DSD128. It was fun to listen to the files on a portable Korg device (MR1).
    But the files played native through my tubed audiophile home system never worked out. They sounded always digital cold compared to the live FM or recorded tapes.

Biff Jones and BuyMeVinyl like this.
  16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Agreed. They could have just focused on titles for which they could get tapes that were stored in California. However, they would have lost sales on big name titles whose tapes were stored elsewhere. It all comes back to money. They wanted the big name easy home run titles for the audiophile crowd with middle of the road taste. Then they decided to make a marketing-heavy, FOMO scam product out of those titles. Easy money for them. Rinse and repeat.

timzigs, DaveyF, nosliw and 1 other person like this.
  17. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

Ah yes… forgot direct from the live performance in the studio. Thanks for the hit in the head! Didn’t they capture a “master tape” that was also running during the performance….. how they produced some of their later “Treasury” vinyl and cd’s? Sorry but thanks for the side track.

Bill Hart likes this.
  18. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Without getting into politics, the first two you mentioned got crushed too.
    I don't think IG Mike is getting crushed. Sure, Fremer is pissed at him and so is MoFi, but I'm not sure the industry as a whole (not even sure you can treat this as a monolithic industry) has blacklisted Mike.

Dayfold, Kyhl, Ingenieur and 2 others like this.
  19. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Deep Purple Throat

mpayan, Combination and Bill Hart like this.
  20. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Yeah, I think so. I still have the old Missing Lincs, etc. Haven't played them in eons.

John Schofield and Curiosity like this.
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Pretty much how I interpreted the quoted material in the article.

22. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Jim Davis was not as "out of the loop" as he portrayed...just my guess.

23. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I wonder if there are any Mofi’s you couldn’t resell and get retail value back on. What would the damages in a lawsuit be? I’m certainly on the side of being more angry about the deception than not, but a class action seems kind of silly.

The worst I can say for damages would be that I’ve certainly sold some good analog pressings that I wouldn’t have if I’d known what I was buying was not a AAA pressing.

BuyMeVinyl likes this.
  24. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

It's not so glamorous to be in the current position of Julian Assange or Edward Snowden, whereas Michael Esposito was fairly quickly vindicated and, far from being jailed or in exile, he is rightly admired pretty much all round.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  25. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Here's another question:

How do we know Fremer would ask the important questions the Esposito left out if he were the one flying to California in the first place? We assume due to the Monday morning quarterbacking.....we just do not know

DaveyF and patient_ot like this.