Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I believe Mike stayed the night. Jim Davis could call and say...."don't do anything until I arrive". Back in my prior life, phone calls to hold things due to late planes, etc were not uncommon.

Wounded Land, Kyhl and Joe Stark like this.
  2. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

Well, I did purchase Steve's Willie Nelson Stardust release today thinking those albums will be selling well considering the process he went through remastering and producing them. I've bought a few MFSL vinyl recently and got the Carole King Tapestry One Step, but doubt I'll be buying any more. Looking at older releases now.

3. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Was Blues Hammer recorded analog or digital?

Because I like authentic blues.

4. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

So you are saying Esposito should have just kept quiet? Looks like Mike's sources were correct. Mike seems like a pretty smart person, I would bet Mike was quite sure or he would not have released the video when he did. How would you have handled the info if you were in MIke's shoes (before chatting about it with Fremer)?

folkfreak and JFSebastion like this.
  5. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

Great article , a very enjoyable and amusing read, but still managing to hit the bullseye. I think its fair to say that as far as Journalists go , you are in a different league to Fremer.

rofffe, JFSebastion and markmck79 like this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You got a custom black t-shirt too? :p

7. The 'In' Groove

The 'In' Groove Forum Resident

Close. The industry changed from locally made products to chemical foam beds stuffed in a tube made in China. When the industry changed I refused. I've always bought and sold records but for decades it wasn't a feasible way to make a living. On a side note I've slept on latex for over 20 years.

dheath, Aftermath, Doug_D and 26 others like this.
  8. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

'someone' reached out to me saying 'they' did not 'reach out' to you. Lol

Mike E said multiple sources and he confirmed? And some actually contacted him.

video:
    -A lot of information
    -sourceS
    -contacted MOFI prior to releasing the video
    -More and more people contacting him, the more and more sources
    -Multiple creditable sources

Are you saying he is lying? He has only 1 source?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2022
    rofffe and folkfreak like this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

Isn't that what they call Julliard? :)

10. Joe Stark

Joe Stark "Sad wanker" - Michael Fremer

Dave Wasserman voice "I've seen enough, Mike Esposito for President"

11. Strat-Mangler

Cool. I heard that until recently, Fremer was in bed with MFSL. :D

12. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

So the Washington Post article is out. What does everyone think of Davis not knowing that Mike Esposito ( In-Groove )
    was out interviewing until he was there!!

13. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I gotta say I have always thought the Double Vision MoFi LP sounded way better than the Self titled Foreigner LP. .. I’m not kidding .. no joke here !! Now we know why. I’ve always thought that , even before this fiasco that the Foreigner S/T MoFi LP sucked. :). Just my opinion only. :) And maybe it has nothing to do with the digital step vs the analog step but there’s something weird going on :)

spewey and BuyMeVinyl like this.
  14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Again we get into this one or the other thing.

And its both. Both conclusions are correct.

Mofi lied. And people are disappointed and feel cheated. They are ethically and morally outraged to varying degrees. As they should be if they feel so.

It is now more supported that people cannot "hear" digital. And the years and years of the vast majority of Mofi dsd lps back this claim up.

Im not sure why both points cant be true. They are.

Again, its the "tone" that matters. One can express things in a tactful way and still make the points.

no.nine, rofffe, patient_ot and 3 others like this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Discussed a number of times in the last few pages.

16. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Ok, he published my email response from Mofi in one of his videos without contacting me for consent, or making any effort confirming or authenticating the source.
    He said in the comments section that since nobody has disputed it, it must be true. So his standards apparently are: I publish things I read on the internet!

17. Strat-Mangler

Get a US 1st pressing and you'll be thoroughly happy. Not an audiophile-caliber recording anyway but this is as good as that material has ever sounded. I have no idea what transpired; either MFSL royally screwed the pooch on that one or what they were given was not the master tape but something else (old transfer, 4th-generations copy, etc).

Mac B and JFSebastion like this.
  18. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Yesssss- integrity and latex! :righton:

19. The 'In' Groove

The 'In' Groove Forum Resident

NOBODY knows who told me what. I haven't even told my wife. Don't assume we were all working from the same set of facts and sources. We were not.

20. Joe Stark

Joe Stark "Sad wanker" - Michael Fremer

Yeah of course, he mentioned a few times in his video with German Mike he offered to "cover" for Mofi. Real journalists don't do that. If you need more receipts please let me know.

21. No I’m not saying that at all. I’m simply saying I probably wouldn’t have. At least I’m not sure. It would depend on if I had several other separate verified sources. Basically someone who worked at MoFi or at Sony who was collaborating with them on many of these titles.

Curiosity and DaleClark like this.
  22. Fair enough. I don’t know yours. But I’ve now heard from three different people who were told from the same single source.

23. Fizzle

Fizzle Forum Resident

I think Fremer’s own words have made it very clear that’s what he was saying.

Mac B, April Snow, mpayan and 3 others like this.
  24. simonux

simonux Custom Title

Isn't Live/Dead a remix ?

25. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Hold up there Joe. My understanding is Fremer got some info that was wrong, posted it or tweeted it or whatever, and MoFi reached out and told him it was wrong. Fremer removed it, but didn't get a "correct" answer from MoFi at the time. They told him they'd get back to him but didn't. Then IG Mike released his July 14 expose video. Fremer used some words like "covered for them" but I don't think he meant he hid an answer he knew to be correct; more that he extended the courtesy of sitting on the story in exchange for MoFi getting back to him (first?) I think Fremer felt he was "used." (I'd have to go back and watch the German Mike/Fremer videos again to get the precise language but please don't make me do that). :)

grx8, bluesfan, Twinsfan007 and 5 others like this.