Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Joe Stark

Joe Stark "Sad wanker" - Michael Fremer

I won't make you do that! Maybe an unfortunate use of wording from Fremer? He specifically said that twice though, I remember that.

Otto Konrad likes this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I mentioned confirmation bias in that very post so of course I understand it. My point is that these people are usually making a statement of preference (because that is literally all it can be) and not a claim to having a superpower. Almost all arguments of analog vs. digital or vinyl vs anything are arguments that happen because people mistake statements of preference for statements of fact, because they cannot intuit the difference without being told. But personally, I don't give a crap if a small minority of people prefer vinyl to CD or prefer analog to digital and that confirmation bias plays a part in their opinion. Their opinion is literally not my business to judge.

But I will judge the heck out of a company that charges 5X the average price for a single vinyl LP with the clear presumption that it's all-analog from source to press, and then it turns out to be something else.

Doug_D, Mac B, Elofan and 7 others like this.
  3. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I need to know why you've included Fremer under your profile pic...o_O

4. Static

Static Forum Resident

Is it me or did MOFI just reduce the price of Thriller to 100$...or was it always that price.

5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Yeah, it wasn't clear, but what I wrote was my best understanding of what he meant. Of course I could be wrong. I'm not big on watching YT videos for info. Much prefer text.

Joe Stark likes this.
  6. simonux

simonux Custom Title

Do we know since when Sony doesn't let tapes out from vaults ?

7. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

As I've previously indicated, I think Fremer misspoke when he said he "covered" for MFSL. If you hear the word in context, it doesn't, imo, mean what you're implying it means. In any event, the idea that "real" journalists don't withhold facts -- facts involving more significant matters than this one -- for periods of time in order to accommodate important sources is mistaken.

8. Joe Stark

Because he called me a "sad wanker" on Twitter - I never said he wasn't funny! haha

9. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Single LP price is $100

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. DocWatsonSees

DocWatsonSees Forum Resident

Price hasn't changed.

11. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I can see why you may not have announced the info. However, I can see why Mike made the video when he did. Mike has numerous reviews and the "top analog albums" which have influenced some of his customer's purchases. If I were in Mike's shoes, I would worry about my integrity with customers, who were influenced by my recommendations, in thinking I knew all along and was in bed with MoFi since I sell their products. If Mike was wrong....it would have been a black mark on him...not so much MoFi.

12. Joe Stark

Of course, but he gets himself wrapped up in these controversies in an unprofessional manner all the time. He's a hobbyist with a newsletter. He allows his opinions to be shaped by the companies he promotes. This happens all the time. Next time you read a magazine article look for the little "promoted" typeface at the bottom of a normal looking article. He's not a journalist and to think he is at this point is absurd.

Mac B, mpayan and Catunderthestars like this.
  13. Pali Gap

This explains a lot, thanks for clarifying (LMAO)

ElevatorSkyMovie and Joe Stark like this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Fremer is not a journalist. He’s just a guy who writes for audio publications.

Verification before publishing an opinion/speculation masquerading as fact never stopped Fremer before...

Mac B, rofffe, Mr Olsen and 6 others like this.
  15. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

The Washington Post article seems to indicate what the real lasting result of this fiasco will be. Non-audiophiles feeling smug and vindicated that audiophiles are crackpots and digital was always better than analog. After all we paid big money for LPs cut from digital and couldn’t hear the difference. In fact, we raved about how great they were.

When in fact the whole situation is much more complex and nuanced. This will be one more source of mockery and derision. It is a set back for the vinyl resurgence and the survival of high end audio. This is not a defense of MOFI just a statement. of fact.

The big winner will be streaming services, and they already dominate the music business.

16. Static

Static Forum Resident

Oh...I thought it was 125$ originally.

vinyldad62 likes this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im sure he knows a lot about mastering etc. But I dont hold any of these fellas as the last word on sound. Some of his stuff just sounds plain bright.

Not saying you are worshiping at his feet, but this is why folks sometimes get in the position they are now in with Mofi. They trust that everything they say is the last word on expertise and knowledge.

Not saying that is what you are doing but I think if anything the debacle (I have been waiting to say that word again) proves, it shows its better to take things with a grain of salt.

rofffe and MielR like this.
  18. Joe Stark

In 2022, when everyone has a camera in their pocket and a Twitter account, its more important than ever to understand what makes someone an actual member of the press, with real responsibilities, and the (albeit very knowledgeable) hobbyist.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  19. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

Your bias makes you miss the key point. Some vinyl lovers would prefer to play & listen to analogue records, and that is not only allowed but also doesn’t need to be justified, but MOFI deceived them & others by making their product digitally sourced.

You only listen to digital, which is your prerogative. You may think digital sounds better than analogue that is also your prerogative. Why the need to be a smart-ass against those folks who prefer analogue to digital ?

I listen to both by the way.

20. Pali Gap

jour·nal·ist
    /ˈjərn(ə)ləst/

noun
    1. a person who writes for newspapers, magazines, or news websites or prepares news to be broadcast.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Either him or one of his half-dozen other journalist friends...

22. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

With the exception of an instance where an onlooking dimwit drops a Junior Mint into an open body cavity in the OR, when anyone should be allowed to intervene, surely.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    FWatty likes this.
  23. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

A very good article, worth the wait IMO. The article gets down into the weeds of this whole debacle which is what a journalist should do, expose what they can. Why do I feel that if Fremer was the one doing the MoFi interview it would have been much different than what MikeE did? I still feel like I did 400 pages ago :agree:, that what MikeE accomplished was good for the consumer. It clearly was not good for JDavis and in some ways also MFremer, neither looks very good in the interview. And man John Wood inviting MikeE before consulting with JDavis....holy krappp!!!
    Kevin Gray and BGrundman comments are damaging to MoFi, IMO.............

indyalden, GyroSE, audiotom and 5 others like this.
  24. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Regarding the Washington Post

I didn’t not like the way they portrayed Michael Esposito’s past or that he might not be able to handle himself with regard to MoFi.
    Mike is a very seasoned music lover (that’s a big step above an audiophile) and knows the intricate details of pressings.

MoFi Wood’s coming clean yet regretting it and Davis having a Seinfeld moment at the rental car check out were classic.
    I feel sorry for Wood’s and the engineers although they were a big part of this

There was too much emphasis for my taste on Steve Hoffman members and a feud with Michael Fremer (who has done incredible things for keeping vinyl alive. Kudos for interviewing Grundman and Gray who were very professional yet open on the issue.

The analog purists can’t recognize digital narrative is getting old too

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Definition of journalist

1a: a person engaged in journalism
    especially : a writer or editor for a news medium

Fremer is a glorified blogger/influencer - which is why he is steamed he had no influence on the events and now comes across like a totally self-interested a**.

Mac B and Victor Martell like this.