Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Yep, it’s the remix master that they used and I guess couldn’t tell.

spencer1 likes this.
  2. Joe Stark

Joe Stark "Sad wanker" - Michael Fremer

Next you're going to tell me Malachi is a journalist.

3. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident

:laughup:

cwd, mpayan, Joe Stark and 2 others like this.
  4. Otto Konrad

Otto Konrad Forum Resident

Bill has it right. The “Cover” was that upon an inquiry to MFSL about where Bernie Grundman and an analog mastering went from the press release, MFSL told him it was cut from tape but asked him to wait till he got back from Munich show when they would get back with more details. MFSL did NOT tell him it was mastered from a digital source. Tape. Mike sat on that. And why not. Nothing seemingly wrong. reasonable request.

5. Record labels will always prefer streaming over physical product today. Would you prefer selling your product and waiting weeks or months getting paid after big investments ? With steaming you get paid almost immediately and you can adjust releases and playlists almost at a flick of a switch.

sonofjim and Sneaky Pete like this.
  6. Otto Konrad

He is. Doing pretty spectacular record reviews for a “print” publication. Green but very talented.

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You just won the internet today... :biglaugh:

Mac B, audiotom and Mazzy like this.
  8. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident

I write news for a radio station. I was a straight D- student from 4th grade - 12th. It looks like I'm a journalist too!

cwd, Mac B, Joe Stark and 1 other person like this.
  9. kamchatka

kamchatka Forum Resident

Maybe the rental company assured him he was getting an electric vehicle, but when he looked under the hood he discovered it was actually gas-powered.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

An overqualified one...

Victor Martell, audiotom and FWatty like this.
  11. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Point taken. I'm not claiming that Fremer is a paragon of journalistic professionalism---he's not, imo---or that he's in the same league as Murrow, but he does qualify as a "journalist."

kundryishot and Joe Stark like this.
  12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Thanks Otto. Who knew there were so many lawyers here at SH Forums? And we've generally been well behaved too!

bruinuclafan and Sneaky Pete like this.
  13. Static

Static Forum Resident

Just flipping thru youtube and found this dude saying "Vinyl is a Farse" and turntables are a "hustle" LOL. Unbelievable.

So ...do you guys think this MOFI thing is supporting these clueless posters?

14. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

I did, and he doesn't
    Fremer's vid was considerate and measured

weirdo12 and thrivingonariff like this.
  15. Too old for people m here but it was an important ending for an article put out by a non audio industry publication. Most civilian readers wouldn’t know that so it’s new to them. Not old news.

16. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

My question, why are we believing that Fremer would have done an interview that would NOT have attempted to 'pivot' far away from the issue at hand here....the non-disclosure, malfeasance and possible fraud that MoFi has been committing to for about a decade! Since it seems that he is 'bought and paid for' by his own admission...:cussing:

Mac B likes this.
  17. PRESS to play

[​IMG]

Biff Jones, rischa, Curiosity and 3 others like this.
  18. Otto Konrad

Call him a cub reporter.

Some of us are equating a journalist as a “investigative” journalist. Fremer has a long history of researching topics, asking questions and writing cogent articles. I wouldn’t call him an investigative journalist. But definitely a journalist. Not sure what to call Mike E. RecordStoreOwnerYouTuberCos-PlayingJournalist” for a day?

MOFI tapped him to come in because they thought he’d be a friendly ear. They didn’t count on it turning in to the auto-asphyxiating party it did. More credit to MOFI stupidity than the very softball questions Mike E asked.

19. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

I'd think at least a quarter of the interview would have been about Fremer himself.

Mac B, Mr Olsen, DaveyF and 5 others like this.
  20. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Better yet Klaus Kinski rip

Who is playing Mike Esposito?
    How about Mike Pompao or Ron Desantis

reddyempower likes this.
  21. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

full of jitter unfortunately; the technology was in its early days

22. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Without getting down on today's standards for journalism (ahem), I think Fremer would say he learned to write from Harry Pearson, who was a journalist at Newsday on Long Island (environmental issues back in the day?).
    He's done a lot. He's written a lot.
    As an aside, I'm close to finishing (reading, not writing) a book on the history of surgery. It explains how early on, surgeons were separated from "Medicine" and doctors, who were more educated, but as needs arose, surgeons became professionals, had to adhere to standards, be part of professional organizations, write papers, do stuff in the field in addition to wielding a knife. Without going on at length here, the author traced the emergence of what you would consider a profession, as distinct from "barber-surgeons."
    I have huge respect for people that aren't necessarily credentialed but know stuff, how it works, and can explain it clearly. Fremer has certainly spent his time in the field, turntable set ups, hanging out with manufacturers and reviewing. I would consider him qualified even if some people find him annoying. But that doesn't mean IG Mike was unqualified for this purpose, as most of us acknowledge. Without IG Mike, the story may have eventually come out, but his expose lit up the Internet like a lightening bolt. And got MoFi to act.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    Biff Jones, Paully, I-OD and 4 others like this.
  23. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

This is a mischaracterization of Fremer's generally reasonable comments about Mike E's role in this.

Lemon Curry and kundryishot like this.
  24. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Check mate

indyalden and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Well, I figure that if anybody can say authoritatively that analog sounds more "natural" than digital, it is the guy who I know to have done many excellent masterings in both analog and digital formats, and from analog and digital sources. I also believe that he has first hand experience in making good sounding LPs from digital copies.

I've never heard "some of his stuff sounds just plain bright." Grundman is literally the only mastering engineer I've never heard a bad word about. But there's always someone to say an engineer's stuff is "bright." It's like saying a drummer can't "swing."

As to the statement about analog sounding more "natural" than digital - we don't know the context, we don't know what else Bernie said, we only have that snippet and the regularly scheduled outrage. I'm not worshipping at Bernie's feet, I'm just saying, whatever the context and the reasoning, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, at least enough to not write him off as an imbecile.