Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Says the guy with the Fremer quote calling him a wanker.

Pali Gap likes this.
  2. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

She has a good perspective. I do believe this whole thing makes us all look stupid.

Kyhl, Mazzy, MielR and 4 others like this.
  3. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

women are smarter than men
    That is a given ;)

4. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

:laughup:

5. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

I bet AP could have more variety if Chad wanted to go digital.

6. And he states he's not allowed to reveal sources used unless the label does or unless they specifically allow him to state for a particular release.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Well I don't feel stupid, but then I never claimed that I could hear a difference between analog and digital. And I haven't spent a boatload of money on MoFi either, maybe $175 total. And I'm still happy with the Mofi records I own.

mpayan, Chemguy, Fruff76 and 2 others like this.
  8. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

layman speak:

Let's start with an insult, that will make them receptive to the rest of the diatribe: 'lost your minds', you eff'ing idiots

'Elevate': wahhh, why him and not me

'Inexperienced non-journalist': heap on the slag: why not non-journalist or inexperienced journalist. Fremer really isn't a good writer imo.

'Necessarily to me': which means I am referring to me, but in a sneaky way by saying there are others.

'seasoned journalist': I can spin it

he sounds mean spirited

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

This is the important part that many here seem not to understand.

nosliw, audiotom and ElevatorSkyMovie like this.
  10. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I like Mike
    Mr Fremer is why I got back into vinyl in a serious way in 2002. Thank you immensely.
    You had to special order your upgrade turntable as no audio dealer carried any.
    Yo could pick up all sorts of original pressings people were getting rid of

There are plenty of people on SHF that can write just as detailed a review and compare original sources as Michael Fremer. He doesn’t have the exclusive set of golden ears, flashiest keyboard, or only grasp of the audiophile vernacular. Sure, you won’t hear Michael’s colorful name dropping, complaining about his critics or neat stories about when he first picked up Abbey Road but these other people love music in its purest form, and have solid artistic and sonic reviews.

Mike Esposito is one of them. His shoot outs are very extensive and consistent. His equipment profile would probably meet most people’s standards and he isn’t listening in a 14x 10 room once the record shelves are factored in. On the other hand there are many new to vinyl spokespersons like Mike 45 who is a nice guy that touches on the latest expensive remasters and is just learning that original pressings usually sound better than all those flashy audiophile remasters. There are a huge # of youtube Vinyl celebrities - I had no idea before the MoFi saga.

I did find two I really like
    Tim at University of Vinyl (very detailed and helpful reviews on artists, mastering engineers, pressing plants, etc)
    Steve Westman (very insightful and interviews relevant industry stalwarts).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    NorthNY Mark and Chemguy like this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I disagree completely. It just makes MFSL & Fremer look dumb but no one else, really.

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Can't help what people will do with their money. Weird social media auctions of common and semi-common records are a thing now. Personally I think it's a game for suckers, but that's my point of view.

mpayan, nosliw and snorker like this.
  13. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

I may be mistaken, but I believe this earlier post of mine addresses what the poster whom you were responding to is talking about:

14. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I only see one

highfell likes this.
  15. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Really? Wow. Go back and read the last 16,000 posts or so.

jonj and Fruff76 like this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

There are smart and dumb people all around. I don't think this situation makes everyone look stupid at all.

lucan_g, Chemguy, Uglyversal and 3 others like this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Again though, based upon their released statements (Jim Davis and the John Wood most recent) do we seriously think that they would have seriously answered those questions in a straight forward manner?

They would have waffled around those type questions of "who?" "What specific at the meetings were discussed?"

They arent going to answer that type questioning.

And Mike E most likely knew this.

Plus, as he said, it wasnt his purpose to throw Mofi under the bus. It was to get answers to the basic questions. And we got them.

18. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

That is one more than me

Joe Stark and Catunderthestars like this.
  19. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Even all the people who believed they could truly tell the difference between digital and all-analog releases? Certainly seems 'dumb' in hindsight.

mpayan, sunspot42 and Starquest like this.
  20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

So much for me taking a vacation from breathlessly reading this thread because nothing new is happening.

jonj, OldSoul, 4-2-7 and 1 other person like this.
  21. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Seems to me this all adds up to one thing: Digital audio has caught up with analog. In the end, it's probably a good thing for everyone.

mpayan, FulhamTarheel and sunspot42 like this.
  22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I don't think you should assume anything about anyone's experience with vinyl (or anything else) based on the stuff you see in a video or forum post. If you want to know, ask them directly. For all we know this person could have been listening to records as a kid or teenager and then gotten back into it later in life.

23. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Or it tells you the importance of mastering

indyalden, syork56, mpayan and 3 others like this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

This has been explained so often that if you still don't get it, it's a waste of energy to even copy/paste the dozens of posts which talked about it.

25. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

She’s coming from a totally unbiased approach.