stargate

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zombie dai, Aug 5, 2022.

1. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own Thread Starter

any stargate fans on the shows or films? i'm gutted they didn't make a third series of SGU, it was a real grower. sg1 was good at first but lost its way. atlantis suffered from the main actors trying to impersonate sg1. is the animated series worth watching?

darth caedus likes this.
  2. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I didn't get into the series in which they ran around Vancouver forests every week, but I really enjoyed Stargate Universe - the one where there is a crew of people on an out-of-control alien spacecraft (occasionally stopping at Vancouver forest planets). I don't think I finished watching the second season but I recall it was cancelled so needs to be revived to finish the story!

Curveboy and zombie dai like this.
  3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Never saw the tv show but love the movie.

But! I never understood what the point was of Kurt Russell's character being shown initially as being despondent and suicidal. This is not mentioned or referred to for the rest of the movie.

bru87tr likes this.
  4. zombie dai

it's covered in sg1

his 9 year old son accidently shot himself with jack's gun

5. zombie dai

yes, s2 ended with the most interesting part of the series!

6. Wildest cat from montana

Yes...
    That's alluded to at the beginning of the movie but what's the point of it?
    Russell is shown as depressed and dishevelled.
    The next time he's shown he's looking fresh and sharp and in full military mode.

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

It's amazing how this franchise has grown and mutated and spread and somehow...aside from the completely-intriguing title, "Star...Gate"...I am not interested in the least.

Why is that. Seems to me I would be on this like white on rice, yet I've passed on it so many times. [​IMG] Not snarking in the least, I'm being serious. Why has this not hooked me.

8. Wildest cat from montana

Try the movie.

Dillydipper likes this.
  9. Dillydipper

Dealbreaker...no Amanda Topping...:sigh:

10. zombie dai

i think the point was that he is the 'perfect' soldier and so puts on the 'front', however, i think his relations with skara (?) are the consequence of what happened

11. zombie dai

some of it is a bit 'bland' to fit in the prewatershed timeslot. there is also a lack of complexity in some characters such as sam, the human embodiment of white rice.

which have you tried before?

12. Dillydipper

Just the movie, actually.

13. Wildest cat from montana

What relationship?
    All he did with that kid was laugh at him when he tried to imitate Russell smoking.

14. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

I love Stargate. SG-1 is a top-tier sci-fi series, and Atlantis is fun too. I haven't watched Universe yet, but it's on my list.

It's a shame they never gave proper endings to any of the series.

15. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

That Zippo's gonna run out of fuel in a couple of days.

16. There is a plan to do a new series. I don’t know if Richard Dean Anderson is involved only as a producer or would be cast at this stage.

17. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I liked SG-1 quite a bit, though it did start to lose steam around seasons 5 and 6. I haven’t seen any of the other series but I’m hoping to check them out at some point.

zombie dai likes this.
  18. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I liked the tv series at first.. after while I said to myself.. there getting us into conflicts with alien races that should left alone..
    Many times earth threatened by there interference..................... of the thought we must we this poor aliens
    despite the damage.. Only star trek had good solid object.. this series got beyond bad in it's final years..

19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

His character is so distraught and emotionally damaged that he's willing to take part in what could very well be a suicide mission. He's not concerned with his chances of coming back alive because he feels like he has nothing to return to.

20. zombie dai

my view may be skewed because i saw SG1 before i saw the film. in SG1 the relationship between ska and O'Neill is a thread that runs through the series. i reckon this was built upon him finding someone to help with his catharsis

21. zombie dai

and then he finds skara and has a child to fight for

22. zombie dai

try the pilot episode of sg1. i enjoyed it more than the film when i saw it, but i saw sg1 first

23. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

I always like how in the movie they made a big deal about how ancient Egyptian may have evolved over several thousand years among people whose ancestors were from earth….and the initial problems communicating with them. Then in the tv series virtually everyone speaks English.

24. Wildest cat from montana

His wife?

25. Unfortunately, it’s one of those conceits that, as a producer you have to make. Creating a new language and solving that barrier every episode would impede narrative development. Star Trek did much the same thing as did other shows but, at least with Star Trek, they suggested in later series that they had universal translators built into their communicators. They did have some civilizations that didn’t speak English where they had to use the Universal Translator as I recall especially when the life forms were so different from humanity like the Gorn, etc. but Klingons and Romulans spoke English. As did Earth-like societies.