Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The search function is your friend. No mistakes were made by anyone here; only the liars working at MFSL.

That in itself is something many people seem to need to be reminded of constantly.

Elofan, DaveyF and Paully like this.
  2. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Let's not
    He said he was not telling the truth, that is the same thing, and may have actually used the term in video.

he has yet to apologize
    https://mobile.twitter.com/tracking_angle/status/1548289987682021376
    Low class

no.nine likes this.
  3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Dont go too far back is my advice...

4. The 'In' Groove

The 'In' Groove Forum Resident

I didn't say $2k I said $2k More. ($7,000)

Aftermath, Elofan and struttincool like this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I had to laugh at that..good one..:laugh:

Music makes for strange bed fellows? ha.

6. The 'In' Groove

The 'In' Groove Forum Resident

He does.

7. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

My problem with this, isn’t I haven’t seen a single example of it in 650 pages. I may have missed it, and, if so, I’ll stand corrected.

From a personal perspective, I keep saying the same thing: I don’t care a jot that I was listening to digital. I listen to digital all the time. But, as I’ve said up thread, it really does get on my t*ts to have strangers on the internet explain to me, ‘the real reason why I am annoyed’. I know precisely why I am annoyed: given that I am a sentient human being. And a number of us have patiently explained our reasons multiple times.

And this is intended more broadly than you or this particular post.

8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Hello confirmation bias!

(The fact that two different albums sound different proves nothing.)

weirdo12 likes this.
  9. Otto Konrad

Otto Konrad Forum Resident

Alright! Well you have some serious skin in the frenzy too. :)

Fullbug likes this.
  10. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

If that is true then it makes even less sense that Fremer mentioned this in relation to this DSD story as this was about whether a single reissue was digital.

In other words, the issue at hand was Mike E breaking the news that MOFI was doing digital for years. Fremer holding a story sbout a single issue has nothing to do with this and is not the same story.

JFSebastion and audiotom like this.
  11. Otto Konrad

Ahhh.

12. Strat-Mangler

Because we were lied to. I'm not in the wrong so I don't feel guilt or shame at all. Zero. I'm not the guilty party.

As for praises, I've sold 2/3 of the MFSL records I've owned because of better pressings. I have 11 right now but a handful (I think) that I haven't yet compared to anything. The 3 pre-scandal pressings I own are terrific, as are the handful of post-scandal ones that I've compared and enjoy. The rest? I'll eventually compare: it'll be interesting to see how they fare.

All that to say it is quite far from universal praise. MFSL has made some terrific records and done real dogs, just like any label. The ratio of success to failures isn't good in my experience but that is purely subjective. The MFSLs I've enjoyed still get plenty of spinning time and that won't change unless a better pressing comes along (as always).

bmusic, BuyMeVinyl, ndoheny and 5 others like this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

See how slick they are? Theyve even been able to make us think that theyve reduced prices :(

;)

Static likes this.
  14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

That happened by the mid-'90s. Unfortunately, just in time for everything to be ruined by excessive dynamic range compression...

Bingo!

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  15. Otto Konrad

Can you send me a link to the article or interview where fremer says he knew MOFI was cutting from digital and he admitted to sitting on it to protect MOFI. Thanks.

16. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

The 'you tubing' is WAY more significant and valuable to this hobby than you could ever imagine.

17. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Yet another example of the oversimplification and misrepresentation of the pro-analog (so to speak) attitude. Yes, there's a grain of truth in this, but it's ultimately a caricature.

18. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

We're on totally different wavelengths lol.

19. Strat-Mangler

No kidding.

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, that was addressed about a gazillion posts back. Can I help you? :)

21. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

MFSL didn't use the reels from the actual studio sessions? Buncha clowns.

22. MielR

MielR THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Wasn't it the "detached and uninterested" that the article was aimed at?

I think the writer did a good job of explaining the inexplicable to non-audiophiles and most of them who stumble upon this article will come away with the same impression she did.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  23. Yeah. My iPhone actually compresses the comment I’m responding to so you just see one paragraph unless you click to expand it.

ZippyPippy likes this.
  24. Otto Konrad

How so? I see a lot of superficial monologuing and self promotion. Look at Ryan Fortnine’s motorcycle content and show me anyone in the audio world doing anything at that level.

The chatter in the you tube record world just really ends up being look at me and my valuable records. I really am interested in your take on why it is such a good thing.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    mpayan likes this.
  25. Well in a way it was his job to ask all the important questions since he was the one invited to MoFi after making accusations.