Help me pick a pair of speakers in the 3-4k range

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bananas&blow, Dec 17, 2021.

1. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway Thread Starter

I have not considered it. How would you do it? Or do you mean putting them on stands with spikes? What speaker are you considering?

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

one way would be a low platform that includes the spikes, most likely DIY. it could help clean up the bass and resonance if you feel there is a need.
    i am looking at volti audio with caution. because of their size they would be a big commitment.

Bananas&blow and mreeter like this.
  3. CoryG85

CoryG85 Forum Resident

@Bananas&blow , this thread is too good to let fade into obscurity. We need updates at least every week lol.

Kidding aside, you've had your Fortes about 2-3 months now? Any updates on placement or break-in?

I've had my Cornwall IVs over a year now (and they're paid for, yaaay) and I'm still just absolutely obsessed with them.

For a while I was dead-set on adding a pair of expensive subs but I'm over that phase.

For 2-channel music, they don't need bass supplementation.

Bananas&blow and mreeter like this.
  4. Bananas&blow

Fortes are the sh!t. I haven't noticed much more break in passed 150 hours or so. In my room the Fortes need to be 32 inches or so from the back wall and lighter powered tubes (KT77s) to tame the bass. I absolutely love the live sound they make. They are slightly over toed-in. Since I got them broken in and dialed in I've changed nothing in my system and I have no desire to. I cannot believe people power the Fortes with solid state amps unless they are putting on a rock concert, which these speakers would be fabulous for. I can't imagine changing up my system. It's just time to listen. I still use cheap interconnects on my CD player and I don't care.

5. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

I’m very glad to hear this. Enjoy, you earned it. :cheers:

Bananas&blow likes this.
  6. Bananas&blow

I promised a pic of my setup once my new credenza arrived and I had a chance to clean up the wiring disaster.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ermylaw, Clonesteak, CoryG85 and 16 others like this.
  7. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Check these out Salk BEPURE 2.

8. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Looks great Pete! If I moved my speakers that far out they’d be sitting on my lap :laugh:

Slippers-on and Bananas&blow like this.
  9. Bananas&blow

That's why you need the Heresy IV which like to be close to the wall. :)

CoryG85, George P and Cupids_bow like this.
  10. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Tony - I was processing one of my (many) unprocessed boxes of LP's that I've accumulated over the years - and it had a Dimeola LP where he collaborated with DeLucia and McLaughlin, "Passion Grace & Fire" John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucía - Passion, Grace & Fire and I recalled our exchange on Dimeola above in the post.

Honestly I didn't even know this compilation existed until I pulled it out of the box today, unless I just completely forgot about it...

But it was very enjoyable... :)

11. woody

woody Forum Resident

That's a classic.

Bananas&blow and TheVinylAddict like this.
  12. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

That’s heavy into new age riffs bro! More like a William Ackerman.

Here’s a new age artist,Michael Hedges doing a Jimi Song, All along the Watch Tower, back in the early days before he died in 1997. New Age artist aren’t always laid back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqGHE5GqZ44

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    timind, TheVinylAddict and avanti1960 like this.
  13. avanti1960

Very cool VA, thanks! I just got the new release of "Saturday" night in SanFrancisco and can't wait to play it later today.
    Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucía - Saturday Night In San Francisco

Kyhl, Djohm and TheVinylAddict like this.
  14. avanti1960

thanks for the clip ! i have a michael hedges record and definitely want more !

Slippers-on and TheVinylAddict like this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

I am actually listening to it again as I type.... I am thinking the only reason this has not been on my radar (the one I mentioned above) is in 1983 when it was released, I was in my third year of Comp Sci / Eng degree at Arizona State, had two roommates, a girlfriend, a wicked party schedule.... and was well, busy for lack of a better term! :)

I'll have to check out the one you mention above...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  16. TheVinylAddict

I've amassed four or five Hedges LP's from collections I've purchased over the years.... now don't ask me to recall by memory his works / titles, but I was enjoying one the other day I found in the same box as the Dimeola I'm listening to now.

timind likes this.
  17. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

bonus points for the Fox Box

trd and Bananas&blow like this.
  18. trd

trd Forum Resident

Looking good man

MikeJedi and Bananas&blow like this.
  19. Bananas&blow

Hidden Gems, Volti Audio Razz Speakers - Photo4340076

avanti1960 and Bern like this.
  20. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Bananas&blow likes this.
  21. lana lang

lana lang Well-Known Member

Does the A2 have enough bass ?
    I am interested in the A2 because I think it might be a good match to my room [ 21 long x 12 wide x 8 high ]. I listen at low levels, mostly classical, using the Naim XS2 + A7 about 8 in from the long wall, and beleieve it or not the volume is never higher than 8 'clock! This makes me wonder if the A7 speaker is too much for my room and listening level.

the A2 is a smaller cabinet and woofer -- would I miss out on bass ?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
    adamos likes this.
  22. Helom

Helom Forum member

The A7s are a good fit for a room that size IMO.

timind likes this.
  23. lana lang

lana lang Well-Known Member

in my 3 year experience with the A7 + Naim XS2 they would probably perform best in larger rooms. These dont perform their best at tolerable [8' to 9 at most o'clock] listening levels in my 21 x 12 x 8 ft room.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
    jonwoody likes this.
  24. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

You could certainly try pairing the A2 with a sub Lana which would give you more flexibility if the A2's bass was unsatisfying on it's own.

timind likes this.