Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Denon Destroyer

Denon Destroyer Forum Resident

This Year's Model is one of the few (maybe the only) new MoFi's I bought. UK copies of all EC's records are not pricey and sound great. They've been one of the great bargains in collector-dom--but I guess you have to like the music. And the US copies don't sound bad either, and are really easy to find.

Record collecting is pretty simple: just buy an original from the original country of issue. It's nearly always going to be the best-sounding pressing, and it's always going to hold its value.

I doubt I could detect a digital step when listening to an album. But part of the problem is 20 or more years of "Vinyl Revival" afficionados marketing crappy reissues with dodgy or deceptive claims (180 grams, etc.), which often sounded terrible and showed companies preying on customers with the most cynical consumer strategies. Over and over again, the reissues sounded worse than the originals, in spite of the hype.

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You are describing exactly what I heard in comparison clips. Blind comparisons might I also add.

audiotom likes this.
  3. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

One more question:

Where is the investigative reporting from our beloved Audiophile Journalists on this subject? Why does it take a mainstream Journalist from the Washington post get a few details that are new to us that an audiophile "Journalist" could not? It's been two weeks...crickets. I wonder why? There is obviously more questions that remain unanswered if you read this forum.

I highly doubt any "look at my records" Youtubers would do any better......they don't have it in them, except maybe Michael Ludwig.

4. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

AP posted it recently, because of the Acoustic Sounds Series with Contemporary,
    but the actual video was made about 7 years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cimwJwBKg4

audiotom likes this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Someone do a thread. Theyll close it if they dont want it I guess?

Experiencereunited likes this.
  6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It was not a well thought out plan?

This is on Jim Davis. All of it. He has no one to blame but himself. He messed around and now he’s finding out.

7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I have a vast Zeppelin collection although no UK pressings. Love the Ludwig and also the Piros of II. Have a 1969 Grenell of LZI that blows me away. Many various pressings of III and IV and love all of them. Give anything to hear the 45rpm’s though.

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

This whole scandal was about wanting the info to keep the public informed so each person can make his own educated decisions.

Not everyone's criteria will match yours; there's no right nor wrong.

This community could stand to lose a ton of nose-lifting toward others and caring about what they decide to buy with their money or why.

MonkeyTennis, bruinuclafan and trd like this.
  9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I had remarked on the deathly quiet from the "mainstream" audio press- there was a decent article in Dagogo which I linked to-- easier to just go to Dagogo to find it at this point. Fremer would be the obvious candidate but relations look a little chilly right now with MoFi. Perhaps they are waiting to see what direction this takes. I speculated previously that MoFi might work with one of the big audio magazines to do a whole photo spread and their preferred "narrative" (I'm beginning to get tired of that word), with a little more control over same with a compliant journal that would work with them to help their image. Pure speculation on my part, though.

trd likes this.
  10. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Reach out to Mike Lavigne, he is in your neck of the woods. He's usually delighted to play his stuff for people. He's got 'em all.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  11. trd

trd Forum Resident

Well Fremer already completely showed his a** on this one so thankfully he’s taken a step back. I’m genuinely pro Fremer but I hope he’s apologized for his behavior at the start of this saga.

As to the others, maybe someone’s working on it but I’m hardly surprised it was an outside writer and actual journalist who came at this. Most of the people we read are trade magazine writers, not really journalists in the traditional sense so I’m not surprised if they are gun shy.

Also, that’s not an insult - many of them are talented writers that I enjoy reading.

12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Have you looked at some of the recent comments below the WaPo article itself?
    That seems to be a common theme.

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Experience?

Fisher Price record player

Otto Konrad likes this.
  14. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Beginning to think we can't trust anything Jim Davis says. Beginning to think Jim Davis hasn't learned anything from all this. In a moment of clarity or was it integrity, somebody else decided to right a wrong and now regrets his decision. Wonder who helped him feel that regret?

OldSoul, Aftermath and Curiosity like this.
  15. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

When I was watching that video from Acoustic Sounds about Way Out West I thought to myself: what do all the Fremer 'dislikers' (I was going to use a different word) that have posted here think about his relationship with Chad Kassem?

Jam757 likes this.
  16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No it’s not

17. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Right — and my point is if you are buying them because of how good they sound (which why else would you?) then the source list really doesn’t tell you anything about how it’s gonna sound based on what we already know

18. Strat-Mangler

Tons of it here and in this thread. Reeks of insecurity. It's really quite ridiculous. People insulting each other because they prefer wax or bits to listen to music. Really? Oy.

And then people wonder why audiophiles are a joke to some. When people are this petty, it's tough to take them seriously.

MonkeyTennis, bruinuclafan and trd like this.
  19. Reds622

Reds622 Forum Resident

Who has a problem with Fremer? I don’t.. I like him and he’s been good for vinyl.

Doesn’t mean he’s always right though. And in this case he certainly isn’t.

He also seems to be a little bit close on this one to have really made a difference. I think he knows more than he lets on… in fact I think a lot of people “in the know” knew what Mofi was doing.

I will still watch Fremer’s videos though and value his opinions. No one is perfect I suppose.

20. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Of course streaming numbers would be exponentially higher and there's no cost involved to produce any physical product.

21. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Mike's interview w/ the engineers was around an hour and I imagine that the tour they gave him was least 30mins, so the timeline still makes sense when you account for the rental car line and potential traffic.

22. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Without that stuff, there’s nothing left other than some screwed over nerds.

23. Strat-Mangler

And my point is people buy records for all sorts of reasons, some that will be unrelated to your preferred "whatever sounds best to me is cool" reason.

For those who don't give a toss about the sourcing, there's no need to even check the list anyway. :)

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  24. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I was just joking of course. On a side note, those 5 Classics you mentioned came to my house (including a sealed copy of S/T) :hide:

audiotom and Jam757 like this.
  25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thats awesome man, congratulations!!

Pali Gap likes this.