Better Call Saul - All Things Discussion*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

The ending episodes of both Breaking Bad and Six Feet Under are still the gold standard to me.

2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The point is that G&G could have created a better, more original show and painted their masterpiece. It's odd to characterize my posts as, "I could do better than this." Everyone knows I couldn't make a better show for millions of reasons--I couldn't make any show and don't want to. You're also wrong if you think I don't enjoy the show. I don't mind taking unpopular positions and don't really care what people think of me. I spent far too much of my life worrying about that obsessively and decided to move on.

RSteven and ubiknik like this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't care if you care what others think of you. I disagree that the should could have been so much better done how you like it, and it certainly IS original, but you make the same criticisms over and over. I'm describing how you come off, whether you care or not--it doesn't seem you enjoy it at all. I'll be glad when these discussions end.

Edgard Varese and siddhartha like this.
  4. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

Not to thread crap, but I am a big fan of the “Sopranos” ending. It was tight, character-driven, intellectually challenging, and offered finality in a very economical way. If BCS ends as well — and its central character certainly seems to be on the same trajectory as Tony — the finale will be a major success.

Edgard Varese, GMfan87' and GregM like this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

One thing we can say for sure. This series has been an interesting ride. As has the thread.

We are all different.

Some of us more pragmatic, some more story oriented, some more forceful, some more accepting, some more artsy fartsy and others more realistic.

An interesting soup of people just like the show. I appreciate everyone that participates. In my way of thinking there is no fun without frustration at times. Like a good Zeppelin song light and shade.

I need to see Mad Men I guess. Someone at work said I look like Don Draper. I dont know if thats good or bad lol

RSteven and Brian_Svoboda like this.
  6. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

it’s good.

GMfan87' and mpayan like this.
  7. Brian_Svoboda

I am fascinated by, and respect the show, when it goes contrary to my expectations. I didn’t “like” “Fun and Games,” but I very much respected it. I very badly wanted accountability for Jimmy and Kim, even while realizing that Jimmy, logically, wasn’t going to get it — yet. I wanted Cliff and Rich to figure out the truth about Kim, confront her, get her disbarred, and run her out of town. What we got instead was slower and more naturally paced — frustratingly so — but crafted to create an overriding impression of emptiness and sadness that was appropriate to the characters and the story. I marvel at how they did that.

Lonson, lschwart, GMfan87' and 2 others like this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thinking we will get Kim back in this episode. Sans ponytail of course.

I imagine like the scene with Mike and Gus where nacho is on the other line and we dont get to hear what he says, yet in the next episode we get the other side, they might do a similar thing with Kim's phonecall. Hearing from her side of the phonecall.

Im trying to imagine what kind of life Kim now has. Is she going to be the same stern confident Kim or is she a broken sad version also?

Will she have had in her mind that she is somehow responsible for creating the monster and Kim once again sets the kicked over trashcan up for Jimmy?

How much of her new life will we get to see?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

We've mentioned parallels with Saul and Walt. Which I believe there are.

Question though:

What do you see as Jimmy's main motivators as compared to Walts?

What was Jimmy ultimately looking for?

What was Walt ultimately looking for?

10. Brian_Svoboda

Jimmy wanted to be loved, but never was, except by Kim, who left him.

Walt wanted to be feared, and he was — by his family, whom he ruined and left.

mpayan likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I agree, Jimmy wanted to be loved. Which makes it even sadder.

Do you think though that Walt more so wanted to be respected?

I always sensed especially with the Grey Matter thing. He wanted to be known for something important.

GMfan87' likes this.
  12. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

It's very good, haha.
    Look up Jon Hamm.
    Yes you would really like Mad Men, it's like a novel, especially seasons 1-4 , great.
    You watch, start a thread :)

13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Cliff and Rich knew enough: that Jimmy was a bad seed and Kim was too close to him in words if not deeds. I didn't get an impression of emptiness and sadness. I thought Kim's decision might bring her some relief and Jimmy, if nothing else, would not have to worry about dragging Kim down with him--not that he seemed to worry much about this.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that being judgmental of "negative posts" is far emptier substance wise than being critical of the show for more substantive reasons. BCS is a spinoff -- by definition not an original cast of characters, each of whom was locked from the outset into certain predetermined arcs by their inclusion or exclusion in BB that we are now seeing bookended. Then we get very unoriginal scenes like that of the RV, where the actors, much older, are attempting to reprise roles that most assuredly are not original. Whether you, I, or the public overall would have liked a totally new show and cast of characters from G&G is I think an important question--and I hope they give us an answer by following up not with yet another borrowed interest spinoff in the BB world, but a real original.

I'm a big fan of everything about the Sopranos (except the after-the-fact prequel, Many Saints) and there's no way Jimmy deserves a fate like that of Tony. Jimmy is no murderer and if the show makes him one in these last couple of episodes, I would see it as out of character, and if Jimmy dies that would be a real sour ending, a real downer. Not sure if that's exactly what you're driving at by the "same trajectory" comment. Tony was a murderer and deserved his fate--yes, nice touch for the ending to avoid gratuitously showing the obvious. But Jimmy, I would like to be able to remember fondly or feel like he somehow redeemed himself. Of course the writers seem to be charging hard the other way with the previous episode. But it could be misdirection.

14. Brian_Svoboda

I honestly don’t know what a proper ending for Jimmy would be. I am curious to see what the writers come up with. I don’t think it’s death. I somehow think it involves judicial action — a trial — but maybe where his strengths (his showmanship and initiative) become weaknesses, and are turned against him though some legal jiu-jiutsu. I think it also involves ruining literally everyone else remaining in his path: Francesca, Jesse, and Kim.

GMfan87' and Tim S like this.
  15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

We shall see, but I don't think that can be properly executed with just a couple episodes remaining. Court cases don't happen overnight, they have wonderful complexities, and if they go to trial, that's often months or years in the making. In Sopranos, Uncle Junior's case evolves for nearly 5 seasons before it goes to trial. For a trial to conclude BCS, we'd have to go from hearing nothing about it to some sort of climactic court scene very quickly and such a thing would be forced, contrived and rely yet again on nonlinear exposition.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sometimes we just need Mike to bring us all back down to reality...

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im usually not in favor too much of the de-aging thing because the eyes look dead. But since this scene is so dark and Jesse looked so old, I think this would work..

Im not sure how the voice would work though. Maybe they could do some alteration of some sort. Even so, I could just play like Jesse was real tired from digging that giant hole and got horse from the wind. Walter probably wouldnt be able to help much.

I also realize that this isnt all the sudden going to make the scene better. But at least more believable. Maybe they could deage Saul also. The lighting and distance might just make it more believable and decrease the slight plastic look the deaging effect has.

18. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Obsessive? Just the 335 posts in this thread ....

AudioEnz likes this.
  19. Lonson

Well I continue to disagree with your assessment and modus operandi. Please don't quote me again. I'm out of discussing this with you. I don't want to say what is "far emptier" in my opinion again.

AudioEnz likes this.
  20. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Haven't seen it again yet but wasn't he very tan looking ?
    Jesse was always fair skinned.
    But his voice, lackluster line reading took me out of it more than anything.
    Oh, well, far more important what's going on with Gene.

RSteven and mpayan like this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah his attitude was unJessse. Like he was pissed. Jesse was more a dumb kind of goofy pissed at Walter at this point.

I do remember reading that when they where filming this and Bryan was getting into the character Peter kept telling Bryan "More Walt less Heisenberg"

Bryan caught on and captured that Walt time period. Maybe they should have told Arron something also :sigh:

RSteven and GMfan87' like this.
  22. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

In seeing some of the posts, I just want to nicely say, maybe we can finally put that to rest, all agree to disagree on what this should or shouldn't have been, and just focus on these last couple episodes . We've heard it loud, clear and it's done, just a show after all .
    The creators made it the way they wanted to, accept it, watch or don't.
    I do believe when this wraps, it is time for them to move on to new ideas, though.

23. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

I agree G&G should move on. But maybe Schnauz or somebody else might want to tackle a Kim sequel. I think it would have potential and Sony is pushing for a third series.

24. Lonson

Rhea Seehorn is so amazing. . . she needs to be in another series, not necessarily connected directly to these.

mpayan, RSteven, nosticker and 2 others like this.
  25. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Hmm I think the Kim character was icy and didn’t have enough charisma to carry a series.

GregM and George P like this.