Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Rudy never did figure out how to do it, did he?

2. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Lol, I'm an idiot.
    It was "Carl's Jr." not Arby's.
    And there are apparently heaps of 'em!
    Saw a billboard recently, was first I'd heard. And I misremembered it as Arby's.

I probably shouldn't hi-jack this thread any further. :oops:

3. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Someone hasn't bought any used records in a while...;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    grx8, indyalden, contium and 2 others like this.
  4. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

OK, I’m finally caught up—I’ve been out in the nature, hiking and biking as the summer finally arrived in the PNW, and came to this late. 676 pages, oh Lordie.

This whole mess may drive a slew of AAA vinyl re-releases with prominent AAA marketing with all our favorite titles, like RAM for example. Opportunity knocks!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  5. Ron13a

Ron13a Forum Resident

Oh, you're one of those people. I'm not going to be able to convince you that the expensive stuff sounds different because they attenuate the sound in order to justify $20,000 from people with money to burn. You're not going to be able to convince me to drink your kool aid and blow money on cable when I can be spending it on something more important like a car.

6. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

They are not - vinyl colours the sound no matter the source. This is independent of the inherent disadvantages of vinyl. Some people like the coloration, others cannot get past the disadvantages.

BUT NO, LPs CUT FROM DIGITAL ARE NOT GIANT CDs.

v

( I apologize - I think people might start to dislike me or maybe mock me for going at the windmills... but I hate it when people just off the internet form thoughts in their heads then assume it is a wonderfully insightful universal truth without reading, researching and/or learning - sheesh - if only, right? I wish I had that confidence. )

rofffe, Goatboy, nosliw and 6 others like this.
  7. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I think this is a very reasonable video by Fremer. His last two videos on this subject have been very good even he doesn't really say anything new.

8. MielR

MielR THIS SPACE FOR RENT

"LAST" wasn't a store sticker, it was a spray-on record coating that was supposed to effectively eliminate record wear. I think it was Teflon, or something. I believe it came out in the late 1970s (?) You were only supposed to use it once, so they gave you these tiny stickers to affix to your records to remind you of which ones you treated.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Do you have an RL of the S/T?

10. Ron13a

Ron13a Forum Resident

You have the patience to correct the false statements. I have only so much and tire after a while. Although truthfully, I seldom tire of asserting that either Michael Fremer or Garth Brooks is the Anti-Christ

Victor Martell likes this.
  11. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

There are grey tones in life. It‘s not all black and white. You can ridicule everything with grotesque examples.
    Cables that give a benefit to a stereo system can be very inexpensive. Stating that, they are - IMHO - just a (small) piece in the puzzle.
    But ignoring details mostly never end up in a great result.

Written by a fellow „Kraut“.

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I enjoyed the One Step also. Never have gotten the beef with it.

But wait, they added a Texas drawl to Stevie's vocal? These guys are amazing, they can even add accents in digital now!

;)

davers, Kyhl and Jasonbraswell like this.
  13. John Herzog

John Herzog New Member

Am I the only one who has generally disliked the One-Step reissues. I bought four of them and sold them all as I had other versions I preferred. I wouldn't include any MoFi's in my top "best sounding albums" list.

14. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

Need to get this thread back on track and get an answer as to why MoFi won’t spin up their iMac and print us a second run (10,000) of the One-Step Abraxas on SuperVinyl. That sounds like a damn good apology that I would accept. Otherwise, they all should be chained to the side of a mountain.

bluesfan, CraigC, Goatboy and 4 others like this.
  15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Jamoca shakes are great though!

Doug_D likes this.
  16. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

While technically possible now that they admitted they are cutting from DSD - I think they might also be be limited due to their licensing deal....

v

17. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

One of those' people' --do tell, who are 'those people'?
    Nevermind, i really have no further interest in your diatribe.:shake:

hi_watt likes this.
  18. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

I have some great sounding all digital recordings, however I have also a bit of a fetish for analog originals. The question is not a sonic one, but simply getting what I paid for. Don’t own any mofi stuff, but this is false advertising plain and simple.

Vinyl_Blues, WhatDoIKnow and DaveyF like this.
  19. Ron13a

Ron13a Forum Resident

char·la·tan
    noun
    1. a person falsely claiming to have a special knowledge or skill; a fraud.

[​IMG]

20. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

I would like for MoFi to invite me to Cali so I can do a YouTube interview and grill them on this. Who is up for an hour of me harassing them with questions about the prospect of a second run of Abraxas? I’d make them cave.

21. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

I have the Krall 'The Look of Love" on DVD A and XRCD, the XRCD is in a different league, way superior.

grx8 likes this.
  22. Ron13a

Ron13a Forum Resident

I disagree with the the idea that benefit can be had from spending a large amount of money on cables. You and others believe that there is.
    There have been exhaustive studies and the results speak for themselves. Do a Google search.

puddleduck likes this.
  23. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

Except in this case it had very real substance, didn’t it. So all is well with the world. :)

DaveyF likes this.
  24. BuyMeVinyl

BuyMeVinyl Forum Resident

What are you talking about? I've long suspected that you have a dog in this race (despite your claims to the contrary) and this just about proves it.

Which of the confirmed AAA pressings sound inferior? Are you talking about the single Cars titles and using that to make a general point (lie) to suit your narrative? You seem to do this a lot.

As far as I can tell, the rest have been universally praised, at least compared to the digitally sourced abominations like Fragile, Iron Butterfly, Foreigner S/T etc

Also, haven't the two MFSL cuts (Eagles and Yes) been handily beaten by originals in that Audiophile youtube channel blind test series? Do you find that 'interesting' too?

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

If they did that people would get even more angry - the people who would see it devalued their copy and the people that paid a premium on the secondry market.

There is nothing the collector community hates more than being sold a strictly limited edition that then becomes not so strictly limited.

Doug_D, hi_watt, DeRosa and 3 others like this.