The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Petie53

Petie53 Forum Resident

It is pine with a supposed rosewood stain. Can’t make out the corner joints. Could be dowels or biscuits. They should have been able to make the sides with solid pieces of pine as it is relatively cheap - not a bunch of short scraps. Pass!

Ingenieur likes this.
  2. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to use full pieces? Cutting, fitting, gluing, finishing,etc. all those pieces surely would take some time.
    Perhaps he was going for a butcher block look?

Not my taste, but imo looks good.
    Still want to see how the TT is supported/suspended.

3. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Yeah auction text are lacking.
    How does it fit with lid hinges and feet attainable for adjustment,? does the plinth have some protection below like a rubber dot to a buttom ?
    pictures and information needed

4. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

5. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but I’m seeing some things recent things posted about an SL-1000RE-S - is this some sort of new model/upgrade over the existing SL-1000R?

6. JP

JP Forum Resident

Specs on their site look identical, and none of the descriptions seem to have changed. I also notice a lot of the articles posted are identical as well. Off the cuff it smells like a marketing re-launch.

Did find a 1200GEG-S as well.

MrRom92 and Danmar like this.
  7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I think it's just the model number. My SL-1210G is actually model SL-1210GEG-K

ubiknik likes this.
  8. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

Correct. The standard global designation is SL-1200G/GR (1210 for black) with the trailing letters being the country/region for its intended sale and colour designation. The final S or K refers to silver or black. See these posts from late last year:

MrRom92, Danmar and punkmusick like this.
  9. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Both of my 1200Gs are labeled 1200GEG-S. I purchased them new out of the UK a couple of years ago and had them shipped to the US. Of course I had to come up with my own US spec power cables. There were a couple different power cables provided in the box along with some adapters. None of them US spec though.

10. JP

JP Forum Resident

Popped down to the basement. Seems this is all about nothing,

[​IMG]

Ingenieur, MrRom92 and punkmusick like this.
  11. punkmusick

By the way, have you written a post comparing your SP-10R to your GAE?

12. JP

JP Forum Resident

Nope

13. punkmusick

What tonearm do you use with the SP?

14. JP

JP Forum Resident

Haven't used it several years. Was an EPA-500.

punkmusick likes this.
  15. Ingenieur

please say that is an empty box...
    :)

Joel S likes this.
  16. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Those last few letters are the region indication.
    For example:
    The full product code of my 1200G is 1200GEG-S, which means the unit was made for mainland Europe.
    The full product code of the SL-1200MK2 I had was SL-1200MK2-EH, which meant it was made for "Holland" (the Netherlands is often mistakenly called Holland).

17. JP

JP Forum Resident

Ya. MC used to be North American in old Technics nomenclature. Strange to include region destinations in a marketing push. On the other hand, new Technics has never been good at marketing by any stretch of the imagination.

It is, but only because the 10R is in a plinth sitting on the photo bench, sans arm. Last time I used it was a couple (?) years ago to measure W&F performance across different torque settings. A review magazine had published strange result that didn't make sense so I wanted to try to replicate their findings as people were taking the erroneous report as gospel.

My main 'table is one of my SP-10MK3 - I've 5 of them. Don't ask me why. If I make a temporary change I'd probably want to live with my TX-1000 or L-07D for a bit. The DP-100 has a 3012 on it as that's the armboard it came with and I don't have any cartridges that really suit it, and I find nothing endearing about those arms anyway .

MrRom92 and zombiemodernist like this.
  18. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Always been fascinated by the DP-100. Assuming an equal tonearm, how does it stack up to an SP-10 MKII and MKIII?

19. Ingenieur

only 5?
    Piker
    :D

I'm thinking upgrade in the long term. I can't reason that a 1200G would be a justifiable upgrade over my 1200GR.
    There is a NIB 1200 GAE on the market, but is is a 'special edition' G afaik.

20. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Are you saying the GAE is justifiable and the G is not?

21. Ingenieur

I question whether either is.
    But does a hobby require justification.
    The G makes more sense to me than the GAE.

But I have it on good authority, my wife, I'm senseless. :)

22. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Yeah it’s dreadful, hard to watch their campaigns from the sidelines honestly. On the bright side if they were more effective at marketing these decks the wait time would be even longer.

23. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Ok. Quick question. I am installing my Denon DL301MKII on my brand new 1200G

to use or not to use is the question — hardware that came with the Denon Cart or the hardware that came with the 1200G for installation of the Denon onto the Technics head shell ?

what you say experts ? :)

thanks peeps :)

24. JP

JP Forum Resident

I've never used it due to the tonearm/cart issue. Would love to find a DA-1000 and matching armboard for it.

FalseMetal666 likes this.
  25. It shouldn't make a difference. What looks better?