Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. layman

layman Forum Resident

Franz Konwitschny's excellent stereo Beethoven and Schumann cycles have just been re-mastered and re-released on Hybrid SACD by Tower Records Japan.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manutius, Daedalus, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have that recording in my playlist but didn’t reach it yet. What did you think about it? I am also wondering if that is contained in the DG mono box-if so I have heard it ages ago when I got that box.

3. broos

broos Senior Member

I liked it, i found it a very energetic performance, also i am a lover of the tone and violin playing of David Oistrach.
    It is also part of the 111 Years Of Deutsche Grammophon The Collector's Edition Vol. 1, i believe you also have this boxset, so you probably listened to it then.

Daedalus and TonyACT like this.
  4. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Took delivery of the new Ashkenazy box set yesterday. My first listen (since I usually gravitate to something I haven't heard before) was his J.S. Bach Well-Tempered Klavier.

I was genuinely shocked (in a good way). He plays these pieces in an almost romantic fashion. I love Gould's versions and appreciate the brisk, mathematical approaches, but this is definitely an interesting interpretation.

It's like he took Pollini's approach and decided to add a bit of drama to it.

jfeldt, jɑmbo, Daedalus and 5 others like this.
  5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

6. broos

broos Senior Member

I am staying with the Karl Böhm- Great Recordings 1953 - 1972 boxset.
    Now playing Cd 15. Richard Strauss - Ein Heldenleben, Tod und Verklärung*.

Karl Böhm
    Staatskapelle Dresden
    Recording 2/1957 (MONO) and * 8/1972 (STEREO)
    cover of American Decca release
    [​IMG]

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

How do you like the sound? There's been some criticism about the sound restoration and mastering.

harvard75 likes this.
  8. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

I'd second that. I have a number of recordings with Konwitschny conducting that I'm fond of, but you don't hear much about him. In fact, one of the two recordings of my mother's that I used to listen to as a pre-teen (in the midst of listening to Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, and the like) was Oistrakh doing Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 5 with Konwitcschny conducting. This was the first classical music that really drew my attention.

Mozart, David Oistrakh, Staatskapelle Dresden, Franz Konwitschny, Fritz Lehmann – Concerto No. 5 In A Major, K.219. For Violin And Orchestra ("Turkish") / Symphony No. 32 In G Major, K.318

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  9. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Super conductor, especially so at the price I found last year :agree: (about US $13 delivered):

[​IMG]

I've listened to some Beethoven and Schumann so far and enjoyed both; early 60s stereo recordings with the Gewandhausorchester, Leipzig.

jɑmbo, Daedalus, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  10. harvard75

harvard75 Forum Resident

I've listened to 3 of the discs thus far--the Sibelius 1st, Rachmaninov Second Symphony and the pot-pouri with Kodaly, Enescu et al. I am finding the sound very enjoyable, and have no complaints. Previously, when listening to the Rachmaninov via streaming and on headphones, I thought I heard some distortion at some of crescendo's, but I am not hearing it now. As we know, these are 90 year old recordings, and if I want sonic splendor, I'm not going here. Nevertheless, for their age and in their own way, these recordings sound to me as satisfying as the mono recordings in the Giant Ormandy Box. Others will certainly have their own judgments. As for me, I am a satisfied customer. Now bring on the stereo Ormandys!

Daedalus and TonyACT like this.
  11. nostromo53

nostromo53 Bon Vivant-At-Large

Settling down into my favorite chair for the first listen:

[​IMG]

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks. I'm on the fence about the Ormandy set; I'm not a fan of pre-1940s orchestral recordings, for me the generally boxy, often distorted sound gets in the way of the music. There was some improvement during the 1940s, but things really began to fall into place from the 1950s onwards as far as orchestral recordings go.

Daedalus, Eigenvector, CMT and 3 others like this.
  13. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Michael Tippett: Fantasia Concertante on a theme of Corelli (1975, Argo vinyl)
    The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields
    Neville Mariner

Jamsterdammer, CMT, Daedalus and 4 others like this.
  14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to new arrival "Tenebres" on Olive Music.

[​IMG]

15. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Spinning in the CD player: Interesting, but exhausting to listen to....

Boris Tishchenko, Viktoria Postnikova, Alexander Rozhdestvensky, String Orchestra of St. Petersburg, Moscow Symphony Orchestra, Gennadi Rozhdestvensky – Concerto for Violin, Piano & String Orchestra, Dante-Symphony No. 3 "Hell: Circles 7-9"
    Fuga Libera – FUG702

[​IMG]

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

17. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Senior Member

[​IMG]

Mahler-- Symphony No. 5 (Bernstein)

Jamsterdammer, layman, CMT and 7 others like this.
  18. Daedalus

I dug out my DG mono era box set this morning. The Konwitschny/Oistrakh album posted earlier is not in the box-but this Rachmaninoff/Sanderling is in the box. And the sound? Rich and full.[​IMG]

19. Daedalus

If you get tired of it send it here.

layman and TonyACT like this.
  20. Daedalus

Thank you for the reminder-yes I have the complete 111 combined box set so I do have it. In the meantime I have found another gem in the DG mono box-the Sanderling/Rachmaninoff as posted earlier.

broos and TonyACT like this.
  21. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

This was the first disc I listened to when I bought the box some time back. Still my preferred version of this excellent symphony.

layman and Daedalus like this.
  22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Lombards & Barbares" performed by Dialogos directed by Katarina Livljanic on Arcana.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Daedalus

This is a wonderful performance in my opinion also and the mono sound is no impediment to enjoyment in this case. Sanderling shared conducting duties with Mravinsky and the discipline/virtuosity in the Leningrad Philharmonic at that time is on full display here. Speaking of Mravinsky-perhaps it is time for Melodiya to collect all the sporadic releases, supplement them and issue a large comprehensive box set as they did for Richter, Gilels and Svetlanov. Of course, if they do we may have difficulty obtaining it under the present situation.

broos and TonyACT like this.
  24. Daedalus

In the meantime this is one Mravinsky box I have which is very good.[​IMG]

25. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Some of the Hanssler boxes have been interesting, though availability has been mixed. I picked this one up around a year ago:

[​IMG]

bluemooze and layman like this.