UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

Curious what you think of the Money Mark. I occasionally see that one and Mark's Keyboard Repair, which I used to love. Not %100 sure that I ever heard PtB.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I loved Mark's Keyboard Repair back in the day. I used to have the vinyl. I thought Push The Button was only OK back then and playing it last night, still though the same.

Flannel likes this.
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I didn't rate "Push The Button" much either, though was pleasantly surprised by how much I got for my limited version of the vinyl a few months back.

Flannel and Man at C&A like this.
  4. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

5. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Scottish Fantasy is one the best violin concertos, and this Accardo performance of it is highly acclaimed.

Putrifiers II, Alexlotl and Flannel like this.
  6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Flannel and MC Rag like this.
  7. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Lovely sunny car boot today, and asides from finally stepping in dog poo (happens at least once a season), a good time was had. I tried not to use my phone in the field given everything was so cheap, but may have picked up some duffers as a result.

[​IMG]

Young Knives - Superabundance. I haven’t listened to the other Young Knives CD I picked up a few weeks ago yet, but it was worth taking a chance for 20p.

Kristin Hersh - Hips & Makers. A friend had this back in the day, although I can’t really remember it. Worth a try for 20p, and I love early 90s Nimbus discs.

Depeche Mode - Ultra. 50p, and a good complement to the copy of Exciter I picked up in the charity shop yesterday.

The next three were 3 for £5:

The Fall - 50,000 Fall Fans Can’t Be Wrong / 39 Golden Greats. I’ve been looking for a way in with The Fall, hopefully this is it.

Felt - Clean Cut Kid. Or vice versa, as I’ve just discovered. I’ve always meant to check out Felt/Lawrence, and thought this was a Felt album. It actually seems to be an album called Felt by a band called Clean Cut Kid. There should be laws against this. Oh well.

Nic Jones - Penguin Eggs. I have heard lots of good, if non-specific, things about this album, and Topic CDs don’t turn up often.

A row of randoms:

Bellowhead - Broadside, £1. Haven’t heard this one.

Hunchback of Notre Dame OST, 50p. You know, for the kids.

Dusty Springfield - The Silver Collection. Nice old silver core Philips disc. I recently said that my Dusty appetite was probably about one good Best Of, and this could well be it. £1.

Jean-Michel Jarre - Revolutions. Looks a bit wanky TBH, but was my break-the-seal purchase along with the Dusty, and I’ve meant to give him a go. £1.

Bottom row were three for £1.

Aretha Franklin - Queen of Soul. A Rhino comp with Ted Jensen mastering, figured it was worth a go.

Django Reinhardt - Peche a la Mouche. No idea, but an artist I’ve always meant to check out in a lovely 2CD Verve fat box.

Bach - Sonatas & Partitas for solo violin, John Holloway. ECM in the wild alert! These works are a gap in my collection, although I’ve no idea how these performances compare.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  8. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Great finds there. I've grown to really like the JMJ "Revolutions" - it's more industrial than his previous stuff, and maybe lacks the tunes as a result. But London Kid is cute, with the Hank Marvin guitar twang.

Hips & Makers has the wonderful Your Ghost, with Michael Stipe guesting.

EG.

Lars Medley and newelectricmuse like this.
  9. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

Worth reading the following for the low-down on it: Copyright extension: good for Cliff and the Beatles, bad for the little guys?
    There are forum posts elsewhere on sites like Mudcat which go into the whole story of the Leader/Trailer masters.

As for Topic, from about 2013 they reissued their entire CD catalogue for streaming/download from sites like Qobuz, as well as new digital transfers of their back catalogue which had never been reissued on CD before, e.g. Frankie Armstrong, Hedy West, Ewan MacColl, the Fisher Family.

I don't tend to buy the CDs as I have most of them already, as well as most of the CDs, but the above reissue programme was really the best tribute possible to the label's 70th anniversary.

Alexlotl and newelectricmuse like this.
  10. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

The Nic Jones is superb!

11. minibreakfast

Car booty.

[​IMG]

Anthology 2 was £4, George and Freddie £2, everything else £1.

12. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I’ve recently chased down the first five Topic Carthy/Swarbrick albums on CD, which are quite hard to find, particularly the first two (which, I think, are also the best).

I never knew about Nic Jones’ earlier albums - that’s pretty depressing. Makes you think that there should be some rule similar to those in film option rights, where they have to release a new film every x years or the rights lapse. Just sitting on the recordings is a tragedy.

newelectricmuse likes this.
  13. Balcanquhal

Yeah, they've always been a bit of a nightmare to get hold of as the ownership of the masters is slightly questionable. They had to license them from Polygram so the quantities produced may have been limited. I still don't have a copy of Martin Carthy's second album except on LP.

If you're into LPs, the original Fontana/Philips LPs play very well and aren't particularly pricey. The covers are definitely superior though, the cover of Byker Hill especially. I think that it is throughly iconic and really captures the essence of Martin Carthy & Dave Swarbrick and how they were really at the cutting edge of the scene at the time. It is firmly in the ranks of classic covers such as Chorus from the Gallows, Bright Phoebus, Anthems of Eden, The Iron Muse. I could probably name others but those all made an impact as well as having stunning cover art.

Topic seems to have a funny relationship with its cover art. The originals were frequently reprinted with entirely different cover art (before the advent of good quality photography and certainly before scanning), with mixed results. The CDs had no excuse and some of the covers on the reissued CDs are pretty unsatisfactory. The CD version of The Iron Muse additionally cuts out much of the original tracks and replaces them with the bonus tracks which were added to numerous other Topic CDs at the time. I don't think that that one has actually been reissued in its original form.

14. vvmax

vvmax Forum Resident

Todays pickups at a market (not a charity shop but kinda similar),

Phil Collins - Going Back
    It’s… Madness - Madness
    Greatest Hits - The Hollies
    Greatest Hits (and more) - Dr Hook
    The Final - Wham!
    The Very Best of Deborah Harry and Blondie - Blondie/Deborah Harry

Albiegator, Mylene, Flannel and 6 others like this.
  15. minibreakfast

Looks like the Adam & the Ants CD from this morning was taken from this rather peculiar 2012 box set. The seller also had the Clash and Primal Scream discs for sale. I wonder why the set was separated?

Various - Great British Albums

16. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Probably because it's such a random selection of albums! Guess it's unlikely that anyone would want to keep them all. But who would buy it in the first place?

minibreakfast likes this.
  17. Balcanquhal

It looks like the sort of overpriced set which HMV/Fopp has around Christmas time to appeal to a certain cohort of gift-buyers.

18. minibreakfast

It really is. I can't see who it could have been aimed at.

newelectricmuse likes this.
  19. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

As previously mentioned my brother had made some finds at his local St. Peter's Hospice shop, he then phoned to say he'd picked up a pile of Soul LPs in another shop, unfortunately my brother can neither work out how to take and send me photos nor grade vinyl properly, so I've spent much of today on buses to go and see him and then ended up rejecting most of the LPs as they were worse than my existing copies, I did come home with a few bits though.

The Jackpot single is Little Boy Blue "Dark End Of The Street" and actually in nice condition.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I gave in and copied the rest of you, getting a Barbara Dickson as I didn't want to be left out.
    [​IMG]

The Toots is top of my nephew's wants list so nice to find that from his other uncle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That is a really weird box set, not sure who would buy it other than people who wanted a wide selection of British music all in one place.

21. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

After my last visit to Southport (one CD from nine charity shops, and even that one's since been re-donated), today was a little better.

In the Cats Protection shop every CD was £1.50; mostly tat, but right at the back was a Neil Campbell CD. The other CD I have by him I'd also found in a charity shop; he plays his own jazz compositions on classical acoustic guitar.

At the PDSA shop - The Jam - Beat Surrender comp, and a 5CD comp of 60s pop stuff, even got a Benny Hill track on it. 99p each.

I had a look in Parkinson's on Lord Street, which sells used books, collectibles, music, and shells. The LPs were terrible MOR rubbish, the CDs weren't much better - loads of 50s and 60s cheapo various artists comps - although quite a few classical CDs too. I did find one by Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu (Aboriginal Australian singer/songwriter), so I went downstairs and asked the owner how much the CDs were. Answer - £3 each. I bet he doesn't sell many.

Back in Preston, I had nine minutes to spare before my bus left, so nipped over the road to AgeUK. Only half a shelf of CDs there now, getting less and less every time I go in, but I saw a MOJO magazine comp. - The Roots Of The Sex Pistols, which, oddly, has a Sex Pistols track on it. Might have passed on this, but it's got a Peter Hammill track, so I snapped it up for 99p.

[​IMG]

22. IanD41

IanD41 Forum Resident

Nice find on the sealed (I presume?) George Michael and the Adam & The Ants albums in particular.

23. minibreakfast

Yep, still sealed. I'm very pleased as I have LWP on vinyl and it's a huge favourite, but have never heard the other album.

IanD41 likes this.
  24. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Musically random, but all under the Columbia/Sony umbrella.

EG.

minibreakfast likes this.
  25. minibreakfast

Maybe something for overseas tourists to pick up on a trip to That London.

Dubmart likes this.