Why Does Good Remote Control Design Elude so Many Companies?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Helom, Jul 15, 2022.

1. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

That BRAMA amp is one of the most attractive pieces of audio gear I've seen. If I ever find myself in a position to spend $30k+ on an amp, it'll be heard first. The remote looks pretty nice too.

Khorn likes this.
  2. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

We have one of those and as I posted up thread found it immediately intuitive to use. Different strokes, I guess!

carrick doone likes this.
  3. mled

mled Forum Resident

This from Amazon; replaced tv, cd, and preamp remotes. Learning remote so you can program each button to any other IR command from your existing remotes. My system is simple so pre volume, tv channel and oppo dvd basic functions are all on this one -
    CHUNGHOP L102 Learning Remote Control Use for TV/SAT/DVD/CBL/CD/DVB-T for Samsung LG Sony Philips Copy

4. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

His is great.. The stupid Aron remote has just one button I use - to turn 24/192 on and off. Normally I like it off, but there are may be 10% of recordings when oversampling sounds better, and the only way o tell that is by pressing remote while seating …

5. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

It is easier to adjust the volume from the listening position. Also change it as mentioned already.

John B Good and Tim 2 like this.
  6. rangda

rangda Forum Resident

I use my remote to adjust volume all the time. Mono/stereo as well although that is more due to forgetfulness than an actual need.

BilboAlaska likes this.
  7. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

Could be… I'm an engineer and can't say I've ever used a truly bad remote.

Personally I detest decontented remotes; the best ones are the ones that allow you to access virtually any feature from a dedicated button.

I don't really like the newer LG TV remotes where you have to move a cursor around the screen Wii-like.

8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Roku got it right.

BilboAlaska likes this.
  9. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Comparing streaming device remotes, I much preferred Roku's to either Amazon's or Apple's. Apple's is actually the worst. Not being a regular Apple customer, I'm frankly a bit surprised that a company with a reputation for making easy user interfaces designed a remote that's so frustrating to use at times.

10. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

PIONEER's 1987/1991 CU-AV100 series. rugged, reliable, flexible in it's programmability, and looks and feels like it means business all around;

(CU-VSX007 derivative model depicted)

[​IMG]

Khorn likes this.
  11. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Most of the Pioneer remotes I’ve had previously provided comprehensive “functionality”.

12. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

For volume I actually like my Apple remote these days the best. The newest one that is:

[​IMG]
    Much nicer to use than the previous generations being harder to fumble and thicker to hold. Controls my Apple TV fully and my integrated’s volume via IR which I also use for light HT duty. Doesn’t distract me with too many buttons when all I need is volume usually.

My integrated being a Yamaha doesn’t have too bad of a remote, as others have commented they seem to be one of the few competent mainstream manufacturers. Still, guess what, even as a designer I’ll take a crappy remote over no remote. Years of being a “vintage only” guy lets me appreciate any remote really.

BilboAlaska, Tim 2 and cut-out like this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Don't like the ones for the Ultra, though...too easy to accidentally hit those side buttons! :mad:

14. Dillydipper

By the way, have you thought of this: a little velcro on the back of all your remotes...and stick 'em onto a clipboard, or even the bottom of your teevee tray! :righton:

15. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Fast forward to 25 seconds.

Dillydipper likes this.
  16. Khorn

My preamplifier comes supplied with a relatively light but quite capably functional plastic remote. You can order a much more substantial remote metallic “upgrade” for about 10 times the price.
    Being a rather fumbling old guy and seeing that I could order replacement original plastic remotes for $20 I now have the original and two backups in case if damage or loss.

Although I’ve had heavy metal “brick” like remotes before I actually feel more comfortable and secure with this situation.

BTW I’m still using the first remote and I don’t see it misfunctioning any time soon. Seems like a win win.

17. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

I use the iPhone as a streaming remote. Using BlueOS app or Auralic app. Works great with display etc.

18. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

Just ordered one!

The earlier apple tv remote, which I've been using, is utterly maddening to use sometimes. I've lost count how many times I've pressed wrong buttons as that teeny remote slips around in my hands (that is when I can find it between the sofa cushions).

19. Khorn

I use one of the aftermarket “casebot” covers. Makes all the difference.

Tim 2 likes this.
  20. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

My favorite remote is the one that came with my Oppo player. When you pick it up the buttons all light up which is great at night. Everything is clearly labeled and easy to use. A lot of buttons, but they're very clearly labeled so I don't mind. And yes, I use the OPEN button a lot because it can take a while for the machine to unload, and pressing it before I walk over gives my life 5 more seconds of free time. :agree:

I hate remotes with tiny little labels that are printed in a color that doesn't stand out. The "sculpted" one that came with my LG TV fits the hand nicely and it's easy to know where the buttons are without looking.

But it's true that remotes seem to be the ignored stepchild in AV gear. I think it's just very lazy design, and absence of real world testing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  21. thebisch

thebisch Forum Resident

Why?

22. Dillydipper

So you can take 3 of them out of your way when you're only using two others. We're not "coffee-table people". Just two nice, jumbo TV trays in both rooms. This saves clutter.

23. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

With complexity of modern electronic devices and number of possible adjustment, it is time to abandon remotes altogether. Proper solution will be to use app for tablet or phone. Even if someone wants a dedicated device - cheap tables are available in $100 range and one unit can be used to unlimited number of devices to control.

24. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Nice, but it looks like a simplified b&o remote from....30 years ago with the screen. So, not that unique.

Khorn likes this.
  25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Not sure what kind of equipment some are purchasing but I've got no complaint with the remotes I use.

I miss the old days of Mark Levinson's 2 pound $1000 remotes.

Ayre's remotes are also light up.

COBill and MGW like this.