Any Orbital fans on here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JeffMo, Apr 14, 2012.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

:agree:
    [​IMG]

JeffMo and Dave 81828384 like this.
  2. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

No wonder it took a week, only one has a paddle! :laugh:

c-eling, JeffMo and Groovy like this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic Thread Starter

My sweaty mailman doesn’t look like them! :cool:

4. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

When I went to the Orbital online store today to look at the T-shirts I noticed that the only thing available in the '30-Something' store is the deluxe CD set, there's no trace of the vinyl at all.

I had thought it was strange that the signed copies were still available recently. It seems they were willing to sign every single copy ordered until release day, knowing that they were all done after that.

5. JeffMo

They did a few in store signings at places like HMV (in the UK of course).

I was eyeing the 4LP set at Deep Discount yesterday. It is in stock there if you are interested.

Groovy likes this.
  6. JeffMo

7. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Thanks, Jeff, mine arrived on Wednesday. I just thought it was interesting.

JeffMo likes this.
  8. JeffMo

Please let us know how you like it?

My subwoofer was getting a serious workout playing the cds earlier! :cool:

9. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

It's going to take a little while to soak it all in, I've only listened to it all once while making digital rips, but I'm definitely glad I bought this set.

Despite being aware of Orbital for a long time it wasn't the kind of music I paid much attention to until about ten years ago when I bought 'Wonky'. I liked about half of that but I absolutely love my 'Monsters Exist' deluxe box. Other than buying 'In Sides' a couple of months ago, I don't have any other Orbital music so most of this revitalized old stuff is actually new to me.

So far, all the 'Chime' remixes have caught my attention the most.

As for the vinyl, they're the best pressings I've bought all year - just a momentary patch of static in the middle of 'Belfast (David Holmes Remix)', otherwise they're perfect.

Someone on Discogs said it was a little hard to get the covers out of their box but I had no such issue.

The slip mat looks great.

And this morning I became aware that the 'Belfast (ANNA Ambient Remix)' is download only (not on the 2 CD set and there's no download with the vinyl) so I got that to complete the release and, as the guy who wrote the review on The Edge site said, it is one of the better versions.

10. JeffMo

There is also a b-sides rarities mix only on You Tube.

Groovy likes this.
  11. Dave 81828384

I mentioned to Jeff that I really liked that track.

JeffMo and Groovy like this.
  12. I-OD

I-OD Forum Resident

Although this is thread is about Orbital, (Also a fan from the 90´s) I would recommend you have a listen to Bicep if you already haven’t, they got their own identity but you might find similarities :) they have released 2 albums and new single is out and it sounds great to my ears.

black sheriff, JeffMo and Groovy like this.
  13. shadowlizard

shadowlizard Forum Resident

This is good to hear — I really love Monsters Exist (although the proposition itself isn't one I look forward to debating with my almost-four-year-old). As the author of the review also notes, the later albums do tend to get dismissed. I do feel like it's not as well sequenced as some of their other albums, but that's probably just me.

14. YarRevenge

YarRevenge Forum Resident

Snivilisation is a masterpiece electronic album, I don't like rest of Orbital.

15. Dave 81828384

I bought Orbital Green yesterday because I wanted to hear the original version of "Belfast". I don't know if this is the original version but I'm listening to it now and loving it. Love all the remixes too.

Jeff, thanks for getting me to listen to this stuff. :righton:

JeffMo and shadowlizard like this.
  16. JeffMo

17. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Thanks, Jeff, I was just wondering yesterday about the album previously promised for the Fall.

I like 'Dirty Rat' quite a bit but, with all those collaborations in the track list, I'm hoping for a deluxe edition with a second disc of instrumentals.

Here's the album cover (the album is already up on Resident but not the official store).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  18. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Although details still haven't appeared on the Orbital site, Townsend Music have the official store items up:

Townsend Music store - Products

The only things of note are the usual signed items and a mystery bonus CD, the contents of which are not being divulged - here's hoping that it has the instrumental versions.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    Disco Robot, JeffMo and Dave 81828384 like this.
  19. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    Disco Robot and Dave 81828384 like this.
  20. JeffMo

This could be a really fun listen. Not too many electronica albums get released in surround (Air, Eno come to mind).

@jamesc brought to my attention that The Altogether had a 5.1 release on DVD. Anyone on her have that? Is it any good?

shadowlizard likes this.
  21. shadowlizard

@jamesc brought to my attention that The Altogether had a 5.1 release on DVD. Anyone on her have that? Is it any good?[/QUOTE]

This is probably the only album of theirs that I'm pretty much completely unfamiliar with. I'm not actually sure why — I seem to recall it wasn't very well received, but I tend not to pay much attention to that. Would you recommend it?

22. JeffMo

This is probably the only album of theirs that I'm pretty much completely unfamiliar with. I'm not actually sure why — I seem to recall it wasn't very well received, but I tend not to pay much attention to that. Would you recommend it?[/QUOTE]

It's okay, but easily my least favorite album by them. It probably would have been a good to decent single album, but as a double one it's a sprawling mess with filler.

I should probably revisit it myself...

shadowlizard likes this.
  23. shadowlizard

Oh, that's right, over here it was released with a second disc of B-sides and things.

Thanks... I think I will probably end up getting it sooner or later anyway, but it sounds like I don't need to make it a priority...

Disco Robot and JeffMo like this.
  24. JeffMo

You can probably find a cheap used copy next time you pop into Bull Moose! :righton:

I actually found the rare/original 2cd of In Sides with complete version of "The Box" at the Salem store a few years ago for $2.99. It took me years to track that down after only having the crappy US bonus disc version.

shadowlizard likes this.
  25. Disco Robot

Disco Robot Forum Resident

The bonus disc is one of my favorite "albums" of theirs. Lots of fantastic stuff on it including all of the great Style reworks they did.

Orbital are a top 5 favorite group for me, so ended up getting a bit silly and ordered the LP/CD/Bonus CD from Townsend then also the Amazon UK CD with the bonus tracks, although might kill that one depending on the bonus CD contents. Debating also getting the bluray which has the bonus tracks as well.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    shadowlizard likes this.