Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The only lawyers who might bring a suit are ambulance-chasing class action lawyers. The payout to the class will almost certainly be very small. But the lawyers will carve out an easy six figures.

scousette, Kyhl, Ron13a and 3 others like this.
  2. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

Each to their own, but, personally, I’ll continue to buy from Sam Records, AP, Blue Note, Speaker’s Corner, Impex. And the like.

Pretorius, Merrick and Leviethan like this.
  3. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

That was back when they were cutting from the master tapes. I was talking about future releases.

4. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I can't believe all the misrepresentations when people actually watch some of these videos or even read written words. Even the video azMike made, people have what was actually said in that video all twisted around as to how MFSL go about their process.

I don't care what any record manufacturer puts out as far as information about their records. I'm starting to believe a great majority of the population would be too stupid to understand it anyway, there is only so much hand holding anyone can do.

5. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

I wonder if Fremer will go back on Michael 45RPM’s channel and run him into the ground for not being a journalist like he did with Mike E.

6. He literally says in the video why he didn’t shout it out from the rafters.

7. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Can you list some "hard" questions that should be asked of the Washington post writer? That way we are not playing "woulda, shoulda, coulda" the day after the stream. Thanks ahead of time

Mazzy likes this.
  8. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

When I cancelled my pre-orders, I did so in the context of a longish e-mail that laid out my history with the company, what the issue was to me, and why I was cancelling my orders. I did get a response back from them saying that the company would be making a statement soon (obviously alluding to the statement that we got).

I agree with you that I thought a letter would get my point across better than just calling them up to cancel.

Bill Hart likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Well it was a hypothetical.
    Ironically regards to thee revelation.
    I think the one - step digital Beatles vinyl would sell

10. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

The best laid schemes of mice and men...

violetvinyl likes this.
  11. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

And yet MoFi puts an insert in their One Step releases which describes the whole process in detail. With pictures even. But without the DSD step. So this is not about the public being "too stupid to understand" or about the level of "hand holding".

12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I think it is part of the story. Among other things, the story played on a theme we recognized too-- the old guard establishment audio press, e.g. "the dean" of reviewers- pitted against "some guy" with a record store in Phoenix. And the repercussions were felt, not only by MoFi, and the haphazard way they handled it (Davis being quoted as saying it was not well planned); it also rankled within the audiophile community itself. Unfortunately, Mike Fremer got to play the role of industry apologist, caught somewhere in the middle. That may not be the entire story because I do think he got played, but that's the point- everybody, even the experts got played, or so the story goes. So, taking that approach to the story, I think Fremer is an integral part of it.
    I think the whole episode is a sad statement on the industry. I was, frankly, surprised. I know a lot of people-not just here- who were surprised. And it is a little like one of those sensational news stories in our hobby/pursuit/industry (depending on where you sit, I'm largely a civilian), where, appalling as it is, there is an element of fascination to watching it unfold. (The "train wreck" element). This is, for the "audiophile" record market, a big story. What has kept this story alive are, I think, the mis-steps in MoFi's handling of this, which just throws more fuel on the fire.
    I'm sure there are other perspectives on this. After the WaPo story, I wanted to take time to process this. Think about MoFi-- they are reacting, I'm sure stressed and have no idea what the impact is on their business (they may not know other than real time order cancellations, or a slump in new orders), the real measure of which probably won't be known for several months.

paulisme and ShallowMemory like this.
  13. Oscillation

Well maybe not, however until you give them the opportunity to make it right, we'll never know.

14. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

Haven't you seen the earlier video clip with MoFi saying it's all analogue?

DaveyF likes this.
  15. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Start here and actually try to understand what the engineers are saying about the process they take in making their records.

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Most people don't want them out of business. Just correct things and apologize properly. Also give us AAA records were possible and stop charging such high prices for digital LPs. One solution would be for MD to sell to an owner dedicated to honesty and delivering the best true analogue sound.

Twinsfan007, DaveyF, Tommyboy and 5 others like this.
  17. Oscillation

18. I’m not a Van Halen fan but Walmart does have an exclusive VH box set all analog and cut by Chris Bellman for about $140

19. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NOTE: I've forgotten to add the actual comment, sorry mods.

Well, well, well... Esposito seems earnest when he says how good Abraxas sounds. I can see the internal conflict of the feeling of being deceived and yet being somehow unaffected by it -as the album, he says, sounds pretty good. I do not own any MoFi albums released after the date he gives but if there were any albums that listeners found sub-par, it should dissolve this conflict among analogue guys and digital guys. But I know it is not so easy and I'm not sure whether anybody can indisputably argue that those MoFi releases were indeed below the standards of an actual analogue cuttings*.

The Washington Post article (just Google the title and click on the "cached" version to go around the paywall) was a good read because I've missed out on, like, over six hundred pages here. I don't have the time to listen Fremer and 45 guy -everybody's called Mike!- talk on Zoom for 45 mins. I heard Fremer say, "Some stuff are done digitally and they're better digitally..." and that's it, closed the tab on the other two Mikes. Why did he lash on Esposito with that "speculative click bait" tweet then? What was the point? I'm so tired of these upper-echelon guys...

*: These were my thoughts on the initial video. I know it has since been confirmed that they were digital cuts. I'm watching Esposito's interview at MoFi right now. It turns out that he's not only a record dealer but a better investigative journalist than most.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    paulisme likes this.
  20. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

And some of y’all have lost all self-respect.

Did I get that right, and what do I win?

21. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

Holy bananas. I find it fascinating that people are willing to spend so much on a single record. I'd rather spend the $3k in a good second-hand record store; imagine all the great, near mint originals you can buy with that money.

agundy, VQR, Twinsfan007 and 13 others like this.
  22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Yup, available by the case at Costco. Still not good for you but you can certainly taste the difference. Great product.

nutsfortubes and MonkeyMan like this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If you are one of the lucky ones to have a title that has increased in value, it would be far easier to just sell it online now than wait for a class action lawsuit which will likely never come or if it did and MOFI lost, wouldn't net you out as much as selling now.

DangerousKitchen and VQR like this.
  24. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

People who are saying 'i want my money back' - just sell them on ebay or discogs & you'll get your money back with interest! Saying that a lawsuit is the only way they can get their money back is BS.

Twinsfan007, OldSoul, Kyhl and 4 others like this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No role whatsoever... which is why he's even more salty than usual.

Aereoplain and folkfreak like this.