Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Fred1, yesstiles and KJTC like this.
  2. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Just gettin ready for some old stuff. Live version too. Still needs to work on that dancing but she’s so cute

3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Where did the time go? It feels like it was yesterday. (Sort of. Lol!)

Song4U, KJTC and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

I think Primary Wave is making a big mistake if they issue each album individually, and with considerable time between each release. While ONJ did have some popular albums at the time, most of the specific albums have been forgotten by the general public, and she is remembered primarily for her classic singles. They would be much better off issuing a series of chronological box sets in a similar manner to that of the David Bowie series of box sets. Package four or five albums at a time together in mini-lp sleeves, with additional discs for bonus material and a DVD or Blu Ray with video content. While this would force fans to purchase albums they may not wish to, I just don't see how individual releases for every album will be economically feasible in the long term, and I fear the series would be cancelled after a few albums are reissued and don't sell very well. Only the most hard-core of fans are going to buy reissues of albums such as Come On Over, Making A Good Thing Better, etc.

Song4U, Mezepokaj, Mike24137 and 4 others like this.
  5. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

She has a natural charisma, but it's really amazing how she grew in confidence and presence in just a few short years.

6. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I fear you could be right. The most obvious potential seller for a reissue was/is Physical. Totally Hot could match it if it came out in a Deluxe Edition with Grease and Xanadu material to beef it up. But other than that, there are no albums that would have mass international appeal - even her two US #1 albums aren't particularly well-known in other territories.

Song4U, KJTC and fsutall like this.
  7. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

The only other album besides Physical that I think is likely to be a strong seller as a standalone release is an expanded/deluxe edition of Xanadu, but you have to assume it will be the most complicated of the reissues to put together. Who owns the rights to the rare and unreleased material? Olivia? The film producers and/or studio? Would Jeff Lynne need to be involved? Could the Hollywood Nights TV special be included on DVD? I just don't see any of the other albums generating that much interest, with the possible exception of Totally Hot, albeit to a lesser degree than Physical or Xanadu. I suppose we'll find out soon enough...

leicbri likes this.
  8. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Unfortunately, I don’t see Hollywood Nights never being released on DVD. The legal issues between singers, actors, performers and estates of those passed away would be an enormous feat.

Karen Carpenter
    Andy Gibb
    Elton John
    Tina Turner
    Toni Tennile
    Cliff Richard
    Gene Kelly

I’d image it would be held up in legal issues let alone how much each performer or estate would want as a fee. I’d also highly doubt Richard would allow Karen’s performance. He is very careful about what gets release especially video content.

fsutall likes this.
  9. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

Yeah, the whole thing is being mismanaged. The fact we didn't even know which album was dropping on streaming beforehand tells a lot. It's also startling John Farrar isn't involved at all with these releases. I'm sure he would be open to at least give some interviews.

leicbri likes this.
  10. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

I just wonder if Olivia's 1966 debut single "Till You Say You Be Mine" and the b-side "For Ever" will be on the bonus cd aswell, i really hope so. :)

leicbri likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

It would be a nice touch. Those songs aren’t easy to find on CD.

Rosewater and leicbri like this.
  12. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I have my doubts that Xanadu will see a DE release through this deal. The ELO tracks (including Xanadu) may be a sticking point. I still think Olivia’s bonus Xanadu tracks will turn up on the TH DE.

And the fact that we didn’t get Let’s Get Physical - her most successful TV special - in the Physical DE (and very mediocre copies of the videos and ‘82 concert) makes me sincerely doubt we’ll get things like TV specials.

Rosewater and Bobby Morrow like this.
  13. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

The lack of involvement from Farrar in the Physical DE release was pretty striking. And nothing from Brian Grant (who, I noticed just the other days is now a member of the official ONJ Facebook group) or Fleur Thiemeyer (who regularly posts vintage photos of her and Olivia in Insta). Such wasted opportunities - it seems obvious that they would have been willing to contribute/comment.

Mezepokaj, Rosewater and Bobby Morrow like this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

I’m all for DVDs, but they have to be of decent quality. Obviously this might not be possible with a lot of Olivia’s early appearances, so perhaps they shouldn’t bother. DVDs drive up the prices of reissues too.

leicbri and fsutall like this.
  15. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Isn’t she just a pretty face.

16. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

You seem to have posted in the wrong thread, don’t worry it happens.

17. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I almost wish that Physical was not the first deluxe edition. They rushed it and when you rush stuff errors occur. One person who worked on the discography said what they did didn’t even make the release. So it’s clear time constraints played a role. They could have done a better job on the DVD. They could have included interviews with JF and Brian Grant and those close who were there in creating the tv show and music videos. The potential was there for this to be really great and done right but it was just ok.

Rosewater, leicbri and KJTC like this.
  18. Pizza

Bite your tongue. ;)

I was very happy with the price of the Physical Deluxe that included 2 CDs and a DVD. I would gladly pay that for future deluxe sets with a DVD.

The recent Debbie Gibson sets have been pretty nice. But Cherry Red does a great job and they’re quicker on the releases.

KJTC, Rosewater and leicbri like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Unfortunately Physical was classed as an import here and priced accordingly. Even now on Amazon it’s nearly £28. That’s a lot for a 3 disc package. Especially one with a DVD like Physical has.:)

KJTC and leicbri like this.
  20. Pizza

They had to charge extra for the BZZZZZZZZZZ at the end of the video. ;)

21. Bobby Morrow

Well, I suppose it made up for the weak audio on the Physical video album.:)

22. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to Physical 50! Surely they'll mark that occasion with a tidied up version. We should all offer to write the liner notes for them!

KJTC and Bobby Morrow like this.
  23. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

I've got a feeling the songs from Xanadu will be on the "Totally Hot" deluxe album, beceause the songs from the movie "Two Of A Kind" was also included on the "Physical" deluxe album. I also notice that almost all the Olivia songs (exept from the song "Xanadu") from the album Xanadu isn't available on Spotify here in my country, so i gues it's a owners right issue here. But a deluxe version from "Xanadu" would be amazing but there are four more other artist involved "Gene Kelly"-"ELO" - "Cliff Richard" and "The Tubbes".

Song4U, leicbri and KJTC like this.
  24. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

We really need some videoclips form her early periode before Grease, so I hope they do a another dvd release in on one of her early albums with all her tv performances, i would like to ee some videoclips from her hits of "If Not For You", "Banks Of The Ohio", "Don't Move Away", "Take Me Home Country Roads" (I have still that one on a videotape), "Let Me Be There", "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)", "And I Love You So", "Long Live Love" from Eurovision", "I Honesly Love You", "Have You Never Been Mellow", "Please Mr. Please", "Sam" and some many more.

Song4U, leicbri, KJTC and 1 other person like this.
  25. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

Yes it would be nice indeed, there is a Jackie DeShannon cd with Olivia's version on it from "Till You Say You Be Mine", but i don't like to buy a whole cd with different artists on it just to get that special song, i'd rather wait for an own release from olivia, and this could be a great opportunity for all olivia fans .

[​IMG][​IMG]