Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

I’ve watched a recent ‘Rachels Ghost’ live stream and have to disagree with that statement.

CBackley and WillBithers like this.
  2. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I happen to be of the same opinion. But you’re overlooking the biggest factor. Their whole schtick about “DSD is so awesome, man” is based on the reality that they just can’t often get master tapes.

So you’re believing a story that is an explanation necessitated by lying about something else. Doesn’t mean it isn’t true. Might be.

But to illustrate the point, let’s say Sony said; “Hey MoFi, we will send you the Bitches Brew master tapes by Overnight Express if you put up the insurance and you can work with them for a week before sending them back.” Does anybody really believe that these MoFi “audio geeks”, for all their talk about how great DSD is, would copy those master tapes to DSD?

I don’t.

See, I think their DSD angle is probably part truth but also part based on their situation at hand. They’ve decided it is the best way for them to operate based on their circumstance.

Actually, this is just an opinion.

3. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

When it effects you personally it means everything. If it effects someone else it is just business, or just a game.

I don't understand those wanting a refund when they would make a profit selling on the used market. That is if they really want to get rid of their copy.

Personally, the thought of buying these because they were AAA never occurred to me. My decision was made by asking myself if I wanted to pay for "that" title. I buy music to play and enjoy. Not for a provenance that affects value.

If these titles are worth more on the secondary market there is no financial damage to the owner. So the sentiment to ask for a refund must be based for punitive purposes as opposed to financial loss. People feel wronged and want retribution. I feel wronged too but don't think there is value punishing someone for it.

JFSebastion and Ron13a like this.
  4. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

Agreed, but surely better value than 3k on a second hand record?

5. WillBithers

WillBithers Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. I've tuned in to Rachel's livestreams a few days this week for short periods and even in that time I've heard very tasteless jokes about that subject which I won't repeat here. I've enjoyed some of the conversations there and the candor that livestreams allow for but they also result in some "jokes" that really miss the mark.

JFSebastion and CBackley like this.
  6. Blackdagger

Blackdagger Forum Resident

I only know, good digital is good digital. Good analog is good analog. They are not better or worse, they are just little bit different. 40 years ago, people were listening music on crap sistems, now they are fighting which is better analog or digital. Point is?

Karmageddon likes this.
  7. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

An interesting question ( perhaps for a poll, although for some reason I cannot post polls here) is whether the a'phile consumer will pay good money for a 'One Step' release with the full knowledge that the album is a) digitally sourced and b) NOT from MoFi ( therefore no so called 'label' attached). This could be as easy as yes or no answer. If the consumer is willing to pay $100+ for such a release then i would suspect MoFi's business going forward is safe. Personally, going forward i would not entertain paying this kind of $$ for a digitally sourced record, regardless of the 'One Step' process...or MoFi's name attached to it! ( Specially after the 'reveal' of MoFi's ethics and business practices).

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  8. Joe Stark

Joe Stark "Sad wanker" - Michael Fremer

Point is I want to know what I'm buying when I buy it. Period. Fin. The end. Over and out.

Biff Jones, Elofan, John D. and 4 others like this.
  9. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

MoFi deceived & lied.

Biff Jones, VQR, Elofan and 8 others like this.
  10. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

This particular issue didn't change my mind.

I decided I was done with 1 steps after the first two one steps I bought.... after my first two steps (this is confusingto type)?

audiotom likes this.
  11. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

No, by my logic labels should dabel and experiment with how they can improve records. Records are a media storage device, they started to improve them in the 80s but that got cut short with the efforts all going to CDs. I'm also not saying records are not archaic and have no flaws, but they are an enjoyable media that clearly can be improved.

The same can be said for the playback equipment, it was only getting better and better in the 80s, and then abandoned. Hell I got a Pioneer turntable built in 1984 that was designed with the convenience of a CD player. Front load, motorized platter tray that came out the front and back in, fully auto, programmable track order, shuffle, repete, continuous repeat of one song, the program order or the side.

I also have the info and photos for an aftermarket arm that can mount on any table that can do interchangeable arms. It's a remote control air bearing tangential arm that you can cue up or down, skip and select tracks, adjust VTA, VTF while playing the record.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    Ron13a and Library Eye like this.
  12. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Bait and switch which in essence is what they did, is illegal and immoral … period.

I am however going to continue to listen to my MFSL “In a Silent Way”, “Jack Johnson”, “A Salty Dog” and that Costello/Bacharach record because man do they sound good to these old ears. ;)

spewey, DaveyF, Karmageddon and 3 others like this.
  13. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

LOL, not only do people want to dictate the tools mastering engineers what to use to do their job. It appears they need to say who can own a record label and manufacturer records.

Kyhl likes this.
  14. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Lots of people won't agree with that. I myself have something around 2000 records, of those less than 30 are MFSL. In contrast I have more real first or at least early original pressings of the records I like.
    I think many MFSL records sound great or at least they are pleasing to listen to. If you calculate the percentage of MFSL I have vs the ones that aren't you will get a picture of how much in a frenzy I get when MFSL issues something.
    That is despite me generally liking what they do. So, are those signs I think MFSL makes the best records?
    I am not sure and I mean it! There must be some reason behind on why I try to get originals instead. I would certainly get even more originals if they weren't as many liars in the second hand market.

4-2-7 and Adagio like this.
  15. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Step down over this MoFi thing? No way. Besides owning the joint, Music Direct can run things fine WITHOUT MoFi. I could see some new guidelines for public confidence......that's about it. This is hardly enough for the owner to step down. Companies make decisions every day that are bad and hurt sales. I don't think Davis answers to a board of directors.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It's not a "cultish belief system", whatever that means. It is a desire to hear a vinyl record cut from the original master tape, or a tape that is as close as possible. Most of us have experienced vinyl cut from poor "copy tapes", and have done "shoot outs" between CD's, SACD's, original pressings, remasters, MQA-CD's. blu-rays, etc. Most of us have been disappointed with new reissues of many classic albums. We aren't holding up technological innovation - it's not as if we don't give other formats a chance. The problem is, at the end of the day, it seems that all the technology in the world can't make a better Exile on Main Street. Now, is that because the original 1971 UK version was cut from an analog source close to the master tape? Maybe not; but I haven't heard a better digital version yet. It's not a "cultish belief" - it's just rational thinking. . . . and a hobby.

[​IMG]

grx8, CraigC, VQR and 7 others like this.
  17. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

I agree with you but here is the point

Each of us makes purchasing decisions based on previous experience with pressing quality and sound quality and personal preferences.

In my case, my ears, experience and sound preferences, I have found when an album is cut from digital it doesn't sound quite as good to my ears. It still sounds good but not quite as good as AAA. Based on this experience I may choose to buy albums cut from digital, but I make the choice with a clear understanding about what I'm getting and, in my case, I won't pay a premium audiophile price.

18. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Hmmmm. I don't know if I buy that completely. I'm not saying Bernie does not feel that way.......digital is really, really good in today's world. I still prefer my vinyl to be all analog and I'll buy sacds or downloads for digital. However, I think I would have a heck of a time telling the difference between the analog master and a flat transfer of that master. If Bernie wants to invite me out to his studio to compare, I would be more than willing LOLOLOL

19. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

40 years ago people were already arguing analogue was better than digital and in those days much more so. These days plenty of people still listen through crap systems or even worse, phones!

20. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

At 2:20 the guy from Mofi says: " is it analogue? it sure is"

Uglyversal and Adagio like this.
  21. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

He's also on record saying digital has grown leaps and bounds over the last few years, to the point most couldn't tell the difference.

If you yourself are stuck on a belief you formed 10 or so years ago you may very well be behind the times.

Look I like all records as long as they sound good, and we keep hearing improvements in records being made. None of this is saying many old records are bad, some may still be the best to date. But weighing the quality of a record on AAA is total BS, come on we had thousands of very bad sounding AAA records in the past we can still listen to today. There is far more in making a great sounding record than just an analog source.

dheath, VQR, HairyWeimer and 7 others like this.
  22. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

You honestly believe Jim Davis was out of the loop on all this? That lame story that Wood decided to come clean ON HIS OWN without consulting the owner of a 9 million dollar business? You actually believe Jim Davis was stuck at the rent a car when his own people picked up Mike E? You guys have to be smarter than that.

23. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Just went through the past four years of back issues of both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. Interestingly, neither publication was completely unqualified in its praise for MoFi records, including the One-Steps. I’m fact, the only two I could find that received the kind of breathless praise that too many people think is the default audiophile reaction to MoFi product were Fragile and Run-DMC’s “Raising Hell”. That’s it.

Not sure what this means, but I thought it was interesting.

BuyMeVinyl likes this.
  24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

No reason to step down from Music Direct obviously. But installing someone to be the face of and run MOFI… to create some optical distance? Again, for an industry driven by reputation, seems to make sense.

25. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

Unbelievable. How could this guy say this with such conviction and then have the company come out shortly after stating that almost all their current catalog is not AAA. Either he (or someone feeding him info) is clearly lying. Wow.

Karmageddon and kundryishot like this.