Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - USA & Europe 2023 tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Old Fart At Play, May 23, 2022.

1. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

that tour also featured the guy in the bear costume, Bruce comedy routine with a map of NJ and Nils bouncing on a trampoline.

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

At £15,000 a ticket, thanks TM, he'd better start showing up in a few living rooms and putting out some deep cuts before treading the boards next year...

3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Worst Bruce show I ever saw was SPAC 2009. Mediocre at best

4. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Those we're the Ruthless Rhymes LPs that Vicky Vinyl and others in LA pressed. A take on the National Lampoon "Buy this or the dog gets it" ad with the dog and a gun to the head label. Hammersmith 75, Bruce Springsteen 78 (Cap Theater 9/19/78), E Ticket, among others had those labels. Lots of other bands had boots with those labels.

The original 45s mentioned had "Hangman" labels with a 19th century gunman kinda feel. That producer also did the Great White Boss box set (Bottom Line 8/15/75) and the original Paid the Cost to Be the Boss (Palladium 11/4/76) LP.

jricc and Dr. Zoom like this.
  5. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Agreed. I was never a huge Springsteen fan up until 1984. That was the first time I saw him and the E Street Band during his run of shows at the Meadowlands. When the lights went down and he started with Born in the USA, it was one of the most powerful and stunning moments I ever witnessed by a performer.

JSKC and GMfan87' like this.
  6. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

....good efforts, but the park bench and baby photos on the next tour was a whole 'nother level.

7. gobillygo

gobillygo Forum Resident

Yes.

My understanding is Landau pushed touring with the band when Bruce, at least initially, considered a solo tour.
    I think the distance between Springsteen and the band, literally and figuratively, showed on stage and negatively impacted the quality of the shows, hence “a whole ‘nother level.”

GMfan87' and babyblue like this.
  8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I have seen him a mere 30 times, but can't really say I have seen a bad one. Some were better than others for sure. I have seen The Stones a similar amount of times, and there were a few bad ones there, but also some transendentally good ones. Worth a few mediocre ones for the one that hits the heights. Bruce, in general, is way more professional and I think if he does do a bad show it will hurt him deeply.

* That's 1 "other band", 1 Seeger Sessions, 4 solo and 24 E St Band shows

GMfan87' and Rockford & Roll like this.
  9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I would put Rod’s first four solo albums, as well as most of his work with Faces up with Springsteen’s best, and having never seen him live, I’ll take your word that his show is comparable with that of the Boss.
    I also agree with you that many Springsteen fans can’t conceive that other artists might be as good — or better —on stage than Bruce.
    But Rod has put out so many mediocre albums and cheesy songs for going on 45 years or so — you actually have to go back 50 years to give Rod his props as a first rate recording artist that I can understand why some would believe he’s no match for Springsteen

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's not.

I used to see Rod every time he came to town from 1982 to maybe 1995.

But the shows all became the same old same old. Rod seemed less and less interested/invested with every passing year.

Say what ya want about Bruce, but I never get the impression he's just cashing a check onstage.

I did get that vibe from Rod.

He was still enjoyable for those 1982-1988 or so concerts I saw, but after that... meh. Just kinda felt like he couldn't be bothered to do more than go through the motions...

pocketcalculator and J_D__ like this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

No doubt about it, Rod Stewart's first four solo albums on Mercury Records, plus his late-60's work in the Jeff Beck Group, along with his work in The Faces, is among the best music ever recorded in rock and roll history. That said, he hasn't produced a lot of consistently strong work over the past 20+ years, but frankly, neither has Springsteen. Granted, Springsteen has produced better original material than Stewart over that stretch, but it has been decades since Springsteen truly delivered greatness.

With respect to his live show, some of the Springsteen faithful find his live shows akin to that of a religious experience. Rod doesn't generate that kind of reaction and devotion from his audience, but the guy is one of the great frontmen in music history. Historically, he has put on a great show. I made the comparison to Springsteen as something more theoretical -- if Springsteen were to put together a larger-scale band with multiple horns, maybe strings, extensive backing vocalists, etc. to enhance some of his arrangements and to allow for a section of the show to be devoted to the Western material, then it would be like Rod devoting a section of his early 2000's shows to his Songbook projects.

12. PacificOceanBlue

I worked a number of Rod shows circa 2004, and I thought he was producing a first-rate arena show, better than the reunion era Springsteen shows I saw in 1999/2000/2003. He came out and launched into a spirited hits set (the guy has a big, hit-laden catalogue), and then came out in a tux and played set of his Songbook standards with an orchestra (his Songbook projects were huge at the time). It caught me by surprise, but he delivered the goods.

J_D__, rs4951 and budwhite like this.
  13. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I’ve posted either in this thread or elsewhere that the only performer that I’ll put at a similar level to Bruce, despite their styles being completely different, is Rod’s good friend Elton John. What he and Bruce both have is a genuine appreciation for their audiences that goes beyond respect. Bruce shows it with the crowd surfing and other similar stunts, while I’ve seen Elton sign autographs for those in the front row across the entire stage between the last song of the set and the encore.While Elton doesn’t approach the four hour mark, I’ve seen him top three.

rcb30, robcar and JoeF. like this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

Bruce is a great "performer," no doubt about it. That said, I have seen a number of great shows by other artists that musically have surpassed anything I ever saw Springsteen do.

musicaner likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:shrug:

All I know is that after a few shows over a decade or so, I got tired of Rod's shtick and thought the shows seemed increasingly mailed in.

That's not happened with Bruce.

The Elephant Man likes this.
  16. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

we will see what happens with no pit. the pit was instituted because during the original Reunion tour the crowd remained seated for the first hour. They would stand up cheer and sit down again, reason given was the age of the fan, that the Bruce fans were too old and contented. That was 2o yrs ago.
    I dont foresee an influx of millionaire teenagers into the first 10 rows.

JoeF. likes this.
  17. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

But there still IS a general admission pit.

The difference is, at previous Bruce tours, the entire floor used to be GA, at the arena shows. Now it's just GA Pit for the front 1/3 of the floor only, with reserved seating on the floor behind the pit.

(And most of people in the reserved floor behind the pit will be standing for the duration of the shows anyway. They'll have to, if they want to be able to see anything.)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  18. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

75 percent of the 'crowd' will be 60 plus IMO
    the last few shows I attended there was a pit -first '1o rows or so'- then a barrier then GA all the way to the back.
    no seats behind the barrier. very little activity behind the barrier not that many people, most leaned against the side walls.
    there used to be uber fans that would come up to you and ask why were you quiet and chilling but I dont think they will be around this upcoming tour.

side note- Ive only seen Rod Stewart once but I didnt notice any more shtick at his show than what you would have to deal with at a Bruce show, with the signs and the singing kids.
    that is really annoying, the kids coming onstage and singing.

19. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Why not?

20. gobillygo

gobillygo Forum Resident

Did you attend a Broadway show? Cruise control.

Jimmy B. and musicaner like this.
  21. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Unfair to compare a scripted Broadway performance to a full-on rock concert.

J_D__ likes this.
  22. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I saw Rod years ago at msg.
    He kicked soccer balls into the audience.
    Great show.

The only comparable rock performer I’ve seen that is on Bruce’s level is Eddie Vedder.

Rough&Rowdy likes this.
  23. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

I think Rod once got sued for injuring a fan with a soccer ball. Wonder if he gave that up or is still doing it. It's been a while since my last Rod show, but he was still kicking them then.

(I was supposed to see him earlier this year but had a last minute change of plans.)

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  24. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

I’ve seen Rod a couple of times - around the time of Tonight I’m Yours. Great show. I remember he kicked soccer balls into the audience. I was very tempted to go to a recent show with Cheap Trick opening. Couldn’t go because of work.

JoeF. likes this.
  25. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Curious as to what made the one show bad?