Is “Dedicated Listening” becoming a lost art?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Lawrence Welk had one in his car, there's a photo of it somewhere.

Khorn likes this.
  2. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

If you don't seriously listen to "muthafuka" by Xzibit back to back for 90 minutes, you just don't have any audiophile qualifications. It will also let you examine the black background, organic soundstage width/depth (organorganorganic) and determine if your gear is worthless or not.

Here you go, if this doesn't sound right or jive with your soul, you and your gear are no good (aka just don't meet audiophile standards). You will need to work for John Deere, drive a tractor, shop at Walmart and live a basic utilitarian life.

Khorn likes this.
  3. AstroFly

AstroFly Forum Resident

Sitting down at the end of the day to listen to and be immersed in music is the primary draw of this hobby for me. Being able to have that be all that is going on in my life for several hours in the evening is wonderful, very relaxing. I work from home and also tend to be a homebody in general, so I have music playing all day, but that time at night where there is nothing in the world but the music and the moment is special. I am very grateful to have it in my life.

Dave Mac, whaaat and Khorn like this.
  4. John76

John76 Forum Resident

The challenge is listening without me on my iPad at the same time.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    AndyCC72, Shawn and Khorn like this.
  5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

:righton:

6. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Nice post. My best listening sessions are often later when others have retired for bed.

Carl Swanson, AstroFly and Khorn like this.
  7. Khorn

I really need one of these to be transported to my listening room.
    But wait, maybe I could find some really small speakers….

[​IMG]

8. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident

Befitting of a King Khorn.

Khorn likes this.
  9. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

I like your reply a lot and I suppose "lost art" is a little over-dramatic. It's not like the Mona Lisa burned in a fire. But I think VERY few people sit down and listen to music intently without interruption these days; fewer than decades ago when I became a serious listener. That' doesn't really bother me, but I think it's true.

mcbrion, Dave Mac, shaboo and 3 others like this.
  10. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Because they became engrained in your mind, and the nostalgia factor. At least, that's how I analyze my affection for the music I heard during my adolescence and early adulthood.

AudioAddict, shaboo and Khorn like this.
  11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I listen these days when I'm doing something else at the same time - usually involving the laptop. I find I can listen to the music to get what I need of it. I don't really feel the need these days to pore over the lyrics in a sleeve, or whatever. I'm focused enough, all I need is the enjoyment. Maybe I'm just at that stage where I can sit back and enjoy the stereo doing what it does because it does it very well (IMO obvs!). I don't know. The days of forensic examination are maybe left to my teenage self.

Khorn likes this.
  12. Carl Swanson

This thread is about getting lost in the music.

Dave Mac and Khorn like this.
  13. Brother_Rael

It might well be, but how we enjoy or consume music is part of that no? I don't need to be focussed solely on that to enjoy it - at the time of writing this, I've the RHCP Stadium Arcadium (Kevin Grey / Steve Hoffman version) playing on the turntable and it's fantastic. That experience isn't lessened by me doing something else while listening to it.

Khorn likes this.
  14. Carl Swanson

For me, it would be.

To each their own.

Khorn likes this.
  15. Brother_Rael

Exactly that. :righton:

Khorn likes this.
  16. Khorn

Dedicated listening sessions resemble an insidious plot. They’re like a never ending maze coaxing me more deeply down a musical path that’s increasingly difficult to escape.
    I do escape but somehow always get drawn into it again the next time.

AstroFly likes this.
  17. Carl Swanson

Why do you even think of escaping?

You'd be escaping from an escape. o_O

Khorn likes this.
  18. Khorn

Hmm….that requires some deeper analysis although what you say is basically true.

19. Carl Swanson

OK, but save it for you non-listening hours. ;)

Khorn likes this.
  20. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

What the hell is "dedicated listening"? You have to dedicate yourself to listen to music like it's a chore to do so? Listening to music is a joy.

Khorn and Brother_Rael like this.
  21. Brother_Rael

It's an audiophile thing. Some folk like to sit down and just listen to music to the exclusion of all else, but these days, I can do that with a bunch of other stuff and not lose out. If that doesn't sit with what other audiophiles think of as being part of the whole "thing", I can live with that, pretty happily as it happens.

Gie663 and Khorn like this.
  22. Khorn

Yes. I happily dedicate my time and concentrated attention to music because it is such a joy to me. :D

JackG, slovell and rockin_since_58 like this.
  23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

You are correct. This is a reason why most stereos had a record changer rather than a single play turntable back in the old days.

Khorn likes this.
  24. Wasn’t this more for ‘party’ listening so the host wouldn’t have to mess with changing an album side every 20 minutes or so?

Khorn likes this.
  25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

This is another reason and in fact, most people enjoy the music the most at parties and also to play those old Reader's Digest or Longines Symphonette boxed sets consistently.

Khorn likes this.