1/2 Speed Masters series misleading with that label?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FuturisticWorkshop, Aug 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was thinking about these Abbey Road - 1/2 Speed Masters series. Isn’t is misleading to call if 1/2 Speed Masters? It’s playing off if the old analog way of using the TAPES at half speed as the title spells out. Why would mastering a digital file at 1/2 speed make any difference whatsoever? I think the Abbey Road prestige and the 1/2 Speed Mastering is just a way to make most assume it’s from analog tape, not a digital file of the tapes. After the long running and exhausting Mofi digital thread, it’s made me hope for a more straightforward labeling system that tells you if it’s truly AAA or not and what the tape source was (copy tape, etc)
    Any thoughts?

2. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

3. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

I don't think the half speed proces itself is misleading, it means the cutting is done at half speed and that says nothing about the source. Also, Miles from Abbey Road was always very clear about it that he likes to work from digital files. So there's that.

4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Your comment on half speed mastering kind of kills the issue for me. The recent revelation of a digital step in the LP production processs post-dates the half speed master by many years.

5. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

You know you don't have to buy them if you don't want to.
    The recent Electric Warrior and Tommy half-speed masters are pretty good.

Filling up my Honda Civic costs about as much as an Abbey Road half-speed master.

By the way the source isn't played at half-speed the lacquer being cut is done at half-speed.
    The hype sticker on my Tommy doesn't mention analog anywhere.

hutlock likes this.
  6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

That would result in a record with sound that plays at double speed.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    mr.datsun, Myke, Tommyboy and 2 others like this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thick As A Brick :

[​IMG]

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Say what you want about the Abbey Road half speed masters series, Miles Showell has said from day 1 that he cuts from digital. At least he’s been honest.

I purchased a copy of his version of Electric Warrior recently and it’s very impressive sounding. In fact, I think it’s probably his best mastering effort to date.

sharedon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.