UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. nytechy

nytechy Forum Resident

I just acquired the singles cheaply following their stints in a jukebox.

2. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

First, a few CDs that I picked up between my last post and today. Hopefully I haven’t pictured any that I’ve posted before. Mostly Film and TV soundtracks.
    [​IMG]

A bumper crop today. I’ve been looking for Love Deluxe for a while. From a town centre stall the top 3 cost £6 after asking for his best price for the 3. The Mirror Conspiracy is another that I’ve been after for a while, condition isn’t great but hopefully will play well after a clean of the disc.
    [​IMG]

This next lot were all in one shop. Early issues of the Wings albums, they also had BOTR but I already have that issue. Top 3 are on BGO, which I always pick up as many of the are now out of print. Some other interesting looking stuff to try out as well. £6 for this lot. I also picked up the Tymes LP below at this same shop for £4. It’s destined for Man at C&A, hopefully as an upgrade of the sleeve of his current copy.
    [​IMG]

£6 seemed to be the price of the day as all of these soul albums cost me that in another shop. Really pleased with Modern Soul Connoisseurs. The Soul Supply comps are out of print I think. More Maze and Wind Down Zone to add to my collection, I just need volume 4 now. Ron Cartier seems to be a real rarity.
    [​IMG]

Finally a few LPs and the remaining CD. I have had the Swing Out Sister on CD before but the LP seems like one that is perfectly formed without the bonus tracks.
    [​IMG]

3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Wow, what a haul. Spotted some brilliant albums in there.

EG.

newelectricmuse and Rossman like this.
  4. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Wow!

newelectricmuse, Rossman and Dubmart like this.
  5. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

Fantastic!

I bought that Three Man Army album 49 years ago when Charisma Records had a sale. LP, not CD.

6. Good times!

7. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

It's as good a start as any, featuring a chronological and thoughtfully curated near career-spanning collection. I'd be interested to know what you think. They're a difficult band to crack but once you do the rewards are enormous.

8. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

I'd buy almost anything for 20p ! I'm sorting out the piles of CDs in my music room & found 3 Edmundo Ross CDs that I bought in March for 20p each!

If this doesn't do the trick, I don't know what will !

9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Ste_S

Ste_S Forum Resident

I think, probably, everyone posting in this thread is somewhere on a spectrum/neuro-divergent, and I include myself in that. Otherwise, we'd all be
    content with streaming, like 99% of the rest of the population.

I often see people with their carers shopping in HMV Vault in Brum. My carer/wife refuses to go in with me :laugh:

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Even in the photo that sleeve is a lot better tham mine. Thanks, it's much appreciated. I really like the album. Charming stuff. :righton:

Rossman likes this.
  12. AlmostHeavenWV

I certainly am. Went in one charity shop last year and spent half an hour sorting out a couple of hundred CDs because they were all over the place, higgledy-piggledy. Was told I could have a job there if I wanted. Getting worse as I get older.

13. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

I'm a little obsessive about straightening the messes other people leave.

I guess it's normal to tear through records and CDs and leave it that way so the next person has a worse time.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  14. minibreakfast

A whopping 90 pence spent at the boot this morning. I'm not a fan of Richard Thompson's voice, but I couldn't leave it for 20p and it already has a taker on Twitter, as I knew it would.

[​IMG]

15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Nice find on the Pigbag, we actually put an album of theirs out.

mark e, Man at C&A, phillyal1 and 2 others like this.
  16. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

back in the day you used to get pretty good stuff cheap in charity shops, old books, old scratched up Beatle albums for 50 pence,cd's nowadays are old budget titles

that no one really wanted in the first place...at one point thrift shops fancied themselves as record stores and marked some stuff up 1000%...

nothin' lasts for ever or even very long in the 21st century....

17. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is there much buying and selling of CDs on Twitter? I don't use it.

18. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

Having more luck finding books and the odd decent blu ray movie than CD's recently in the local Chazza's. :(

Rosebud indeed.

19. AlmostHeavenWV

Barnardo's this morning. The 'buy 2 CDs, get the cheapest one free' offer is still going, and still the same CDs linger on. Time to bin most of them, guys.

Argent
    - God Gave Rock And Roll To You. £1, which I thought was a bit steep, but I don't like Argent enough to want to buy a compilation, but do like their singles.
    ABC - All Of My Heart. 50p, but no postcard inside.
    The Keith Newton Sound - Never Ending Song Of Love, a 1971 release on N.D.S. The Northern Dance Services record label operated out of Shipley, Yorkshire (betwixt Leeds and Bradford). As Discogs puts it "They specialized in Strict Tempo releases for the Sequence and Ballroom Dancing scene." I got this one because I'd never seen a pre-punk independent record label from Yorkshire before. 50p

A Ngaio Marsh 3-disc audio book for £2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. minibreakfast

I don't know, I just offered it for free to anyone I know who wanted it. I know there are a few fans of his. This happens a lot between crate diggers in my circle; helping each other fill gaps, picking up stuff you know that someone would like etc. Bit like this thread!

21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

So here is today's "I'm moving and giving all my CDs away" haul all for free, you really need to let everybody know you like vinyl and CDs, because people are dumping them like crazy here, and they aren't going to charity shops.

[​IMG]

22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Some good stuff there.

23. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I got Amnesia from a charity shop, probably my local Air Ambulance.

minibreakfast likes this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It baffles me why there's never been a Prince Buster anthology type 2CD or box set.

AlmostHeavenWV and Dubmart like this.
  25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Buster was a nightmare to deal with and at least two deals that would have likely led to a comprehensive reissue campaign collapsed, I guess the family/heirs aren't much easier, or they've left it too long and nobody wants to spend money on it, the two Japanese Rockashaka compilations are well worth getting though not cheap and if you ever see the Sony CD of the RCA album it's the best sounding Buster material there is, if only they hadn't extended copyright to 70 years we'd have everything available.