Prey (2022) - New Predator movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeline Man, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I quite enjoyed it. Good flick.

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Quite good. Watched it with my 90 year old mother and she really enjoyed it too.

JohnK

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

This looks good, but please tell me she doesn't make friends with Predator and they team up against a common adversary. "Ah, he wasn't so bad after all!"

4. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I watched Prey on the hulus this evening. Enjoyable film, better than any of the other sequels IMHO. Gets back to basics with a cat-n-mouse plot in a milieu kinda like The Revenant (including a bear).

The dialog was English with some occasional Comanche terms. The French dialog was subtitled in French (huh?) and I know enough to translate but the gist should be sufficient for most regardless.

Geoff

Chrome_Head likes this.
  5. I wouldn’t worry about that.

Murph and Chrome_Head like this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yeah watched it, it was as I expected.
    Pretty typical TV type of movie.
    I think alexpop said, the Predator doesn't look quite scary enough, I think he's right.
    It's a bit like comparing the original TMNT character's to those in part 2 or 3.
    I'd rather see the franchise go down a more dark path like Batman, than this sort of light hearted/part funny type film.
    Not enough scare or gore factor.
    I do like all the films, but nothing stands up to the original Predator 1 and 2 at this stage.
    I'll give it a 6/10.
    Watch it, miss it, it wont change your life...

GowG and alexpop like this.
  7. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I actually liked it more because it wasn't an over-the-top gore fest--plenty of those around. Much of the killing/dismembering takes place offscreen or in the background, though there were a couple of squirm-inducing moments highlighting the aftermath of Predator's actions.

JohnK

Chrome_Head likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thx for the acknowledgement.
    I’d be watching it for a period Native American perspective who take on a monster / alien/ whatnot. Not as a “ Predator “film. Looks enjoyable.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  9. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I finished this film which is some sort of nod toward its entertainment value, I guess. But I'm so tired of CGI animals, comic book-style action sequences, and ham-fisted themes that it's sending me backward in time to find movies that might look much crappier by comparison, but nevertheless deliver far more nuance and emotional impact.

PS. Despite my cynicism, this is probably the best "Predator" film after the first one.

Chrome_Head and Rick Bartlett like this.
  10. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

I was fine with not understanding the French. I saw it as being in the same place as the Commanche since they can't understand French either. We understood Commanche by it being in English. I didn't think anything specific the French said was that important. It was through their inflections and actions they got their point across.

Regards,
    Dave

Chris DeVoe, HiredGoon and fuzzface like this.
  11. Watched it last night, thought it was quite good - entertained throughout. In fact, it would have been a good movie even without any Predator element.

vegafleet, Chrome_Head and RSteven like this.
  12. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Naru studied her Prey, outhunted him, and took a trophy as the master Predator.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  13. SSoundLtd

SSoundLtd Forum Resident

Watched it this afternoon. I liked it a lot. Great setting and I enjoyed the characters. I thought the AVP films and The Predator to be forgettable but if this one is released on blu ray I may add it to my Predator collection.

Chrome_Head and RSteven like this.
  14. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I searched online and it was pointed out that, in contrast to Netflix, Hulu has a good track record of releasing original programming on blu-ray. The tentative release date is November 22nd.

Chrome_Head and SSoundLtd like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife and I just watched it on our home theater. We really would have preferred to have seen it in a proper movie theater, but at least we weren't watching it on a television screen.

Here is me standing in front of our screen. My arm span, fingertip to fingertip, is exactly 6 ft.

[​IMG]

We enjoyed this more than we have any Predator film since the first one.

16. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Easily the best sequel in the series for me. I loved it!

17. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

My lady and I just saw it a couple of hrs ago and feel the exact same way. A really well done movie with a great job by the lead actress. I thought it looked great on my Samsung QLED 75" television, but I am a bit jealous of your theater setup.

18. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

How about - SPOILER ALERT!?!?

Good lord it just came out yesterday.

Pizza, alexpop and Chris DeVoe like this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Thank you.

From the very beginning, our goal has always been to duplicate the theatrical experience as closely as possible. We control the lighting and it's in a room dedicated for this purpose. It's kind of funny, we have a two bedroom apartment, and the larger of the two bedrooms is our theater - we'd rather sleep in the smaller room, and have a really big screen.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  20. alexpop

Ditched your hat. Impressive screen.

Chris DeVoe and RSteven like this.
  21. alexpop

No point in watching now.

22. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Geez...what kind of Predator fan are you?
    You should have got a shot of yourself with those red laser target dots.

23. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

You mean to say you think it's even better than Predator II?
    Maybe I saw another 'Prey' film to some others....
    :sigh:

GowG and alexpop like this.
  24. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

Is there a way to hide spoilers? I wanted to ask something spoiler-ish. Thanks.

Regards,
    Dave

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  25. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

My girlfriend and I watched it last night, we enjoyed it.

Well done all around, good lead. Didn't skimp on either the action or the gore.

One thing it violated to me is the leaving behind of evidence of the creature at the end, something the other movies usually didn't do. Small point that didn't ruin my enjoyment.

So is the gun Naru used on the Predator the same one the Preds tossed to Danny Glover at the end of Predator 2? I'm thinking that's what inspired the plot of this film.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022