TV Shows That Became A Different Show From How They Began

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Solitaire1, Feb 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I have never understood how/why people say the color episodes of 'Gunsmoke' are a soap opera, since they don't contain any sort of continuing story-line like a soap opera has. If anything, the show became a story/character of the week with the core cast intertwined with them in one way or another, but no way did it have continuing story arc like a real soap opera would/does... (And yeah, I know there were a few two part episodes of 'Gunsmoke', but those are not soap opera either.)

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

No, I wouldn't call the latter GUNSMOKE a soap opera, but more of an anthology with some recurring background characters. The townspeople, Matt, Doc, Kitty, Festus, etc., were there to ground the series in Dodge City as the center of the universe. But it was the guest star(s), and their predicaments, about which most of those latter episodes focused. The writers would tie in that weeks story with maybe one of the townsfolk, giving Festus or Doc or Kitty or even Matt a bigger supporting role.

Grand_Ennui and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I seem to remember the first episodes of Fantasy Island being pretty dark, every fantasy came at a cost.

buzzzx and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

The Flintstones started as a regular animated sitcom based on the Honeymooners and sponsored by Winston cigarettes. It became more kiddie in the third season when the sponsor changed to Welch's and they added Pebbles and Bam Bam.

Matthew Tate, Jimmy B. and MikeInFla like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think the addition of the children was creative desperation more than sponsor-dictated.

When TV shows start to run out of ideas, they add characters, and children were a logical choice for "Flintstones".

Of course, this didn't mean they needed to add a mysteriously super-strong baby, but what're ya gonna do? :laugh:

Gazoo, Hoppy, Gruesomes, celebrity cameos, etc. - that show really got desperate as it went!

Matthew Tate and Jimmy B. like this.
  6. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Same goes fo the Dukes of Hazzard, which was a tad more serious at first.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan Thread Starter

That's not unusual. Most characters ended up being toned down...especially if they become a symbol for the company. An example of this is Mickey Mouse, who started out as a bit of a scamp but became respectable when he became the representative for Disney. That is one of the factors for the popularity of Donald Duck: They could do things with him that you couldn't do with Mickey.

Another character that radically changed is Bugs Bunny. He started out as a wild and crazy character like Daffy Duck (and even had a "Woody Woodpecker" type laugh). It took several years for Bugs to morph into the character as we know him now.

The early episodes (it may have just been in the TV movies) Fantasy Island was only for the very rich (IIRC the cost of a fantasy was $1,000,000).

The following are a sign that the show as jumped the shark (taken from the book Jump The Shark by Jon Hein):
    • They got married (Jeannie married Major Nelson on I Dream of Jeannie)
    • They had a kid (the birth of Mabel on Made About You)
    • Introduction of a young relative of unexplained origins (Cousin Oliver on The Brady Bunch)
    • A departure of a significant cast member (Tattoo on Fantasy Island, Colonel Henry Blake on M*A*S*H)
    One I've thought of is the introduction of stunt casting. On The Flintstones in one season they featured animated versions of real celebrities voiced by the real celebrities (in some cases their names were altered to fit the world of the Flintstones). Among them:
    • Stoney Curtis
    • Stoney Carmichael
    • Ann Margrock
    • Samantha and Darren from Bewitched. The entire episode was basically an episode of Bewitched set in the world of The Flintstones.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

But Blake going missing from BBC sci fi series Blakes 7 didn't seem to impact the plot or viewing figures.

9. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

The Connors changed radically after the departure of Roseanne.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Yeah, I mentioned celebrity cameos in my post! :shh:

11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

but roseanne and the conners are 2 different shows

12. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Those kids were sooo annoying though -- good riddance to them, I said!

The same thing happened on "Mama's Family" where Vint's kids all of a sudden disappeared -- they were also completely annoying so I never missed them LOL

13. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I disagree with M*A*S*H jumping the shark after Henry Blake. I liked it better with Harry Morgan as Col. Potter!

MrCJF and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

The first year of “The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo” was set in a fictional rural county in Georgia. When Fred Silverman noticed it was popular with rural viewers but not urban, he had the department transferred to Atlanta by the governor because of their success in fighting crime (Lobo actually forgot to send in crime reports). Ratings got worse and it was canceled after the second year.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

As a kid I didn't really notice the differences between seasons - but having watched The Flintstones on and off for a few decades now, those last couple of seasons are miserable. Just bad.

Seasons 1 -2 are pretty great though.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. MrCJF

I dont think M*A*S*H ever "jumped the shark" it just changed in increments to a less funny, more dramatic toned show.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Andy Griffith Show....

Jimmy B., Matthew Tate and Paul Gase like this.
  18. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

From Affable Andy to Angry Andy!

Jimmy B. and Michael like this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and no Barney!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Horse hockey!

MikeInFla likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Every season had good shows. For instance, the final season had "Gravelberry Pie King", "Seeing Doubles" and others that were still solid.

The ratio of good:bad just shifted toward the negative as time passed.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Haven't seen "MASH" in decades, but I recall it felt like it more became "Alan Alda's Soapbox" as it went.

23. MrCJF

Probably. I only realised recently that it was inspired by a series of books. At some point they must have ran out of source material.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

"MASH" originated as a book that then became a movie and then a TV show.

I think the movie adapted the book but the TV series went off on its own.

I don't think the book - or its sequels - were used as fodder for the TV series...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I like M*A*S*H (especially seasons 1 thru 5), but you're correct, the farther away it got from its beginnings to becoming Alan Alda's pulpit, it lost its humor and anti-authority stance.

Jimmy B., torcan and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.