Worst Brand or Model Names?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

I’m not talking weird, mind you (although excessively weird might qualify)… rather, audio company brand or model names that strike you as being off-putting, unpleasant, lame or stupid. Just like, bad names, you know?

For me, I’ve always disliked EAT. I know it’s short for ‘European Audio Team’, but they always go with EAT. To me, it comes across as trying too hard to be memorable. It also makes me hungry.

Then of course, there’s Schitt. Probably the most polarizing brand name it audio… you either hate it or think it’s hilarious. I’m in the latter camp. :)

But, it does occur to me…what if EAT and Schitt ever merged? Would the new company then be called EAT-Schitt? :wtf:

Let’s hope the world never finds out.

punkmusick, Dave, Mr. Dean and 29 others like this.
  2. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident

I've heard very good things about their turntables, but the German company Amazon Audio doesn't bring to mind high quality. They may have come up with the company name first, but Bezos came along and ruined it.

poe_man, vwestlife, head_unit and 4 others like this.
  3. Helom

Helom Forum member

T+A

Don’t think I need to explain why that one qualifies.

mwheelerk, sepsism, IRG and 23 others like this.
  4. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

As can be seen by my avatar, I own an EAT C-Sharp. I must admit I found the name a little bit unusual, but not excessively so for me. However I will admit I usually say either "E-A-T" or European Audio Team when describing my turntable to someone else.

Schitt is what instantly popped into my head when I read the thread title. I really can't believe the company couldn't have come up with something better. I will admit it is unusual and rather hard to forget.

ROTFL on EAT-Schitt. Good one,

5. Philip DiGennaro

Philip DiGennaro Forum Resident

Schitt is the worst name in audio. The company's choice to use the name has turned me off to their products and I do acknowledge that they seem to build good value components.

6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

NAD is a funny name for audio gear.

7. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

True. But I think we can all agree that their contributions have been quite baller.

8. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Infinity, back when they were just getting started, had to come out with a speaker, any speaker, to keep the fledgling company afloat.

I was buying my first pair of hi-fi speakers back then. One of the speakers I listened to were a pair of Infinity POS. Pronounced Pos, as in the opposite of Neg, they were still a Piece Of S...

At least the name was accurate.

Dave, TimB, mrz80 and 6 others like this.
  9. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

10. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

I don't wanna own a speaker named "Joe"?! (Joseph Audio!)...ok, might as well get the trailer park "Bob" speaker next...How about a "Mohammad" speaker too?

I don't wanna own a speaker named Ivette?! Sabrina?! Sasha?! (Ugh,Btch please)..Name the next one "Olga" or "Claudia", you dimwitted Wilsons.

NAD?! Could it be a constipated gnat?! Better scenario than a Pyle of Sh.i.i.t perhaps...

McLover likes this.
  11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

funk firm
    oppo
    leak

chris8519, Dave, jonwoody and 3 others like this.
  12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

almost forgot....
    MoFi

13. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Leak was founded and no doubt named in honour of one Harold J Leak in England.
    Our Story – LEAK

Dave, SteveKr and chrism1971 like this.
  14. drh

drh Talking Machine

Originally, NAD was an initialism for New Acoustic Dimensions. I don't know that it's any worse than, or different from, any other three-letter combination, like ADS or KLH or DCM, and I'd say it's preferable to the one that applies to my favorite turntable, made by Strathclyde Transcription Developments, STD.

Through no fault of its own, Fons (named for company founder Fergus Fons) proved less than an ideal name for a turntable; every time I mention mine, someone is bound to bring up the Happy Days TV series.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    Will98, McLover, Grootna and 3 others like this.
  15. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Origin Live.
    Sounds like a gaming livestream platform.
    https://www.origin.com

and don’t forget Peachtree Audio.
    And Hegel sounds like philosophic equipment with dialectic output.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  16. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

I'm convinced Wilson audio has a thing for Eastern block strippers... Hence the names

Edit: I fully get people don't choose their names for the most part

trd likes this.
  17. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

At one point, among the people who worked at and with NAD, it stood for Never Ask Denise. She was the receptionist.

18. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

How about Roksan?

keiron99 and bever70 like this.
  19. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I don't have an issue with any name except for Schitt, which is the definition of trying too hard, lame, and stupid, IMO. Terrible name. The jokes were funny for maybe 1 minute but when you choose a name for a company it's for the long run, not a punchline.

I see it differently regarding EAT as well. I don't think EAT is trying too hard, as they probably came up with the name 'European Audio Team' first and then realized the acronym was EAT and that they could simply use that and that it would be memorable. Schitt though, is obviously trying too hard. And if EAT makes you hungry, what does Schitt make you want to do?

As they say though, to each his own.

_cruster, vwestlife, pscreed and 3 others like this.
  20. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Audio Research is a terrible name.

But schiiit takes the cake. Almost as bad a Smeg. About Smeg

21. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

NAD is a fine name if you pronounce it as individual letters. En-Aye-Dee. But the 12 year old boy in me sees that name and pronounces it as gnad. Imagine if NAD made a big monoblock amp. I'd like to buy a pair of...

Gi54, SocProf, April Snow and 2 others like this.
  22. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Always liked Audio Research. It's simple and it says something.

Simoon, Steve-Boston, Dave and 2 others like this.
  23. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Roksan is a Indian surname...Why would a British company be named Roksan? No clue...maybe the founder is of Indobrit heritage?..not my cup of tea either way! ...not as bad as a Bower and a Wilkin (and a Bilkin and a Wower) perhaps... a.k.a good that they abbreviated the latter to B&W.

jonwoody and Oelewapper like this.
  24. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Oh forgot that I have some Taiwanese "Keces" gear.....good gear but rhymes with Feces unfortunately!!

Oddiofyl likes this.
  25. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

I know it's fiction but there was an episode of The Simpsons when Homer went looking for a new TV and the salesman was showing him sets from "Sorny" and "Panacronic". Good stuff....

Jorgen, Dave, Cyclone Ranger and 6 others like this.