The Cure's "Wish" finally get the deluxe edition treatment. Track listing on page 20!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Apr 13, 2018.

1. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

Ha! He is terrible isn't he - I think Robert tends to stick to musicians he can work with who will stick around, rather than go through the regular lineup changes of the earlier days.

I've got loads of Cure playlists, and the change in live sounds from Concert, then Wish / Distintegration era then now is really noticeable. Its the guitars where its most noticeable, despite the flak Jason gets on drums for not being Boris.

jalexander and Suggy Bop Bop like this.
  2. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

As much as I love Porl, these days I'll take Reeves over him. There have been times when Porl rejoined where it sounds like he's just guitar wanking and playing different songs entirely. Sounded completely off to me :hide:

3. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Yeah, I had a lot of high hopes for Porl/Pearl's return in the mid aughts (those Festival shows + 4:13 Dream thereafter), but I wasn't thrilled with what I heard. And he's arguably one of the most thrilling musicians ever to have shared a stage with Robert Smith.

There was a chemistry with that 1985-1992 core lineup of Smith, Gallup, Thompson, and Williams [and of course O'Donnell when he was a part of it too] that never returned to the many 1996-present lineups.

4. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Reeves is an incredibly talented guitarist. No need to knock on his musicianship at all, he's just not the right fit for The Cure.

5. puddleduck

Yeah, I found he basically just made a noisy tuneless racket for the sake of it.

There are or were a few vids. on Youtube where Robert is giving him a 'WTF?' side eye when he was being egregiously tuneless - he left soon after.

6. WowBobWow

WowBobWow Forum Resident

I love Porl, but I have to admit this is true of the 2008 era Cure. Robert gave up showing him the guitar parts because he just going to play "whatever" anyway.

Lars Medley likes this.
  7. ChoonyFish

ChoonyFish Forum Resident

Damn true, it is up to the band to do the entertaining.

I wonder if Robert has a thing against Manchester anyway. When I first saw them in 1989 I had to shlep down to Birmingham as there was no Manchester gig. Saw them at Crystal Palace in 1990, but didn't see them again until 2004. At a festival in Manchester where they did 90 mins.

2008? Nothing in Manchester, had to traipse down to London.

I finally got to see them in my home city and that happens.

I need to stop dwelling on it and not hold a grudge like Robert does!

8. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

the 2008 tour was a huge letdown - but I only partly blame Porl. The complete absence of a keyboard player was naff…

10. puddleduck

Keys are pretty essential to the live sound - attempts at Plainsong without are the aural equivilent of bowel surgery without anesthetic - very painful!

Yearsago I saw them in London at the XFM show and I think they were a keyboardless 4 piece and they were not that great. That may have been Porl + Perry.

11. Suggy Bop Bop

Suggy Bop Bop Your advert could be here.

Yeah it was Perry.

I seen a Just Like Heaven and Fascination Street shown on Gary Crowley's show The Beat, I thought they were fantastic myself. Disintegration on the XFM live album was excellent too.

I did have the full show on cassette years ago but don't remember the quality of the rest, but the above three were brill and much better than any versions the Porl 4-piece played IMO.

Perry for me brought a heavier edge to The Cure as he played strictly the original song parts and mostly stuck to the thick strings haha, while Porl ruined stuff live as he was way too fiddly and trebbly too (he plays too high up the neck to suit the material).

@Lands End Drums I don't think anyone is knocking Reeves as a musician, he just doesn't fit. To be fair, on a lot of songs he is mixed so low he may as well not be there at all.

Lars Medley and puddleduck like this.
  12. puddleduck

I remember me and the girl I went with were a bit disapointed by the XFM gig - sound wasn't that great in the flesh, but I suppose its possible broadcasts sounded better direct from the soundboard. Were there any keys?

That was my first Cure gig and later ones were better - I have seen them in Hyde Park and Glastonbury and possibly Nottingham (might have been Pulp there....)

tbh it must have been near on 30 years ago though so maybe it would sound better to me now.

13. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

I am in the minority here but I always liked The 13th! It is another odd Cure song like Screw, The Empty World, New Day…

14. Suggy Bop Bop

Perry played the keyboard parts on his gutar, but just small bits and between the actual guitar parts. Much better than Porl went on to do. I did particularly like him playing the Just Like Heaven piano solo on guitar, it is on the XFM live album and likely on YT as it was televised.

From memory the only song that featured a keyboard was solely the intro to A Forest. I'm sure I read he sat on the stage to play that bit, don't know if that is true. But once the intro finished he was straight back onto guitar.

I don't believe Porl had long since left and to tie in with my John McGeoch dream 1993 would (finally) have been the right time to bring John in (in my dream world).

PIL was over then and Porl was gone, but I imagine this was the beginning of the Robert/Perry alliance which lasted to recording Bloodflowers, and seemed to quickly wilt afterwards.

Robert knowing John though, maybe he just thought the situation would be far too volatile. Who knows though....John joins, Perry remains on keys and guitar, Boris never leaves....what that lineup could have achieved!

Sorry to go on about John again.

Lars Medley and CaptainFeedback1 like this.
  15. Suggy Bop Bop

Just had a look on YT and searching 'the cure finsbury park 1993' brings up some fab stuff, a near full video of it too.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  16. puddleduck

29 years ago!! - I remember getting a cosch back to Devon after.

Its strange this has cropped up in the Wish thread as the lass I went to the gig with hated that album- she used to call it 'that Wish bollocks' - that still feels like yesterday weirdly! Always remembered that!

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

And Lol. :D
    But I agree about chemistry comment!

18. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Oh, I know who I included. ;):D

JeffMo and CaptainFeedback1 like this.
  19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Those are grounds alone for breaking “apart” with her! :cool:

Pop_Zeus and puddleduck like this.
  20. puddleduck

yep - she was into 'Disintegration' whereas I'm not so keen on the keyboard sounds...one of the tracks 'Prayers for Rain' IIRC always sounds like its about seque into the theme tune to BBCs Casualty at any moment!!

from about 25 seconds in...

Pop_Zeus and CaptainFeedback1 like this.
  21. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 It's nothing personal.

It's Closedown I think, not Prayers For Rain - I always used to have the exact same thought!

It remains my least favourite song on Disintegration for that very reason...

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  22. Suggy Bop Bop

That would be the synth in vogue around then...the Solina.

I think PSB use it on Always On My Mind.

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

More copies of Wish 30 being made and release pushed to early Nov according to Cure FB page.

Billy Infinity and marblesmike like this.
  24. Suggy Bop Bop

Time to start the rumour that it's because the new album is coming before the tour :)

25. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

I just ordered off the Universal site, which I guess is the band's official online store. $57 and they charge you upfront. I'm gonna be pissed if I see this on Amazon for $30 in a few days. :mad: