The Cure's "Wish" finally get the deluxe edition treatment. Track listing on page 20!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Oh boy. I spent years trying to forget that Prayers For Rain sounds like the Casualty theme tune, and now it’s back in my head again!

puddleduck likes this.
  2. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

Sorry about that! I always thought it was just me hearing it, so I'm kindof relieved I'm not alone on that!!

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  3. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Wow, I always thought it was just me too. I think I’d heard the theme tune one evening then played Disintegration through earphones later that night, I couldn’t believe the similarity, I told a friend who is a Cure fan the next day and he found it hilarious too

4. ChoonyFish

ChoonyFish Forum Resident

While I was pleased that Porl was back, the absense of keys wasn't great. It was interesting what they did with the tracks, recreating keyboard parts on guitar, but it just didn't cut it on a lot of songs. An interesting experiment - like an acoustic set might be - but something I'd rather not hear. I wanna hear stuff played properly.

ItsNotIt's and JeffMo like this.
  5. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

I am curious here as to know how many of you:

1- Listen to the remasters

2- Listen to the Demos (often)

The Wish Deluxe is consistent with the other remasters but, even though I have them all, I find it odd they didn't add the B-sides for each releases. For the newbie or the casual listener It would make much more sense than the demos, which, personally, I listened maybe twice if anything...

Also, the Wish B-sides are soooo strong! I feel it's a missed opportunity. It wouldn't have taken anything less to Join The Dots...

Again, I don't really care as I have it all already and will buy it anyway but still...

ChoonyFish and Pop_Zeus like this.
  6. fictionalsounds

fictionalsounds Forum Resident

artists/bands are damned if they do/damned if they don't.
    they didn't include b-sides as they have already been compiled/released, and give the buyer more unheard material--and everyone wants the b-sides instead.
    but if they included the b-sides, people would suggest that they double-dipped on those tracks and wasted the space for unheard material--and people feel ripped off.

you can always compile each album to their b-sides in your digital playlists.

7. NoYesMaybe

Oh I completely understand this but... There are soooooooo much demos... and demos are, well, demos...! Soooo many of them... :rant:

ChoonyFish and Pop_Zeus like this.
  8. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Earlier this year I revisited the entire Cure discography on my daily walks and included all the stuff from the deluxe editions. I love listening to demos in general, so I tend to go back to them when I can. Concerning b-sides, on one hand there's no point in including them in the deluxe editions because Join The Dots exists. But yeah, it would have been nice to have them all included in each deluxe for completion sake.

Pop_Zeus and Runicen like this.
  9. NoYesMaybe

Actually I was more thinking of the casual listener... Box sets often have a shorter life expectancy... Join The Dots is still available on Amazon but it's not on iTunes nor Spotify... And it just make more sense to add it to a deluxe edition... But that just me... Again, I have It all already so I am all good!

Pop_Zeus, ChoonyFish and sunking101 like this.
  10. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

If a boxset/deluxe only contains demos then I pass. I will listen to those once and even then I could take or leave the experience. I want songs that were left on the cutting room floor, B sides and period-correct live shows.

Yeah we have Join The Dots but listening to B sides within the context of the album they relate to is a lot more enjoyable IMO. Why can the B sides not be on the remasters as well as on Join The Dots? Too late now but meh.

11. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

I'd perhaps argue that those who are buying the deluxe editions already have JTD. Casual listeners would probably just get the single disc remasters and not bother with the deluxe editions.

12. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

It is on Qobuz (minus some strangely unavailable tracks like « this twilight garden » and the best b sides from the Kiss Me and Disintegration periods !). So you can’t make your perfect playlist ignoring the lesser tracks like Wendy time !

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  13. NoYesMaybe

That is exactly my point! Let's Go To Bed is on Standing On A Beach AND on Greatest Hits and nobody's dead... :unhunh:

14. NoYesMaybe

This Twilight Garden might be one of the best songs of the Wish era... I would be pissed at Qobuz or/and whatever stupid lawyer who made the rights available/not available on different territories!

ChoonyFish and SteveCooks like this.
  15. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

I am pissed, believe me !

16. Suggy Bop Bop

Suggy Bop Bop Your advert could be here.

And it's on Japanese Whispers.

NoYesMaybe likes this.
  17. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

It's at least available on the US versions of Spotify and Apple Music:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. NoYesMaybe

True! The OG!

19. NoYesMaybe

Not in Canada... Damn f*****g territories BS!!!

Ooops... Wait... Apple Music is not iTunes... And I don't have Apple Music so I don't know... maybe it is available on Apple Music in Canada...

20. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Check and see!

21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Why is this a missed opportunity?,
    If you want context, buy the damn cd singles. They're cheap and you get good mastering's, geesh.

22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

at least they didn’t bundle all vinyl and cds in a big box and charge $200 like some artists…

c-eling likes this.
  23. NoYesMaybe

I can see you're obviously having a wonderful day! :righton:

24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Well good grief, it's been mentioned a few times already- here and all the time at SDE. Are fans that lazy?
    There are benefits of doing your own leg-work.

25. NoYesMaybe

Are you sure your location is Mount Pleasant??

:biglaugh: