The Cure's "Wish" finally get the deluxe edition treatment. Track listing on page 20!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Suggy Bop Bop

Suggy Bop Bop Your advert could be here.

The unanswered question among all this, is that if the demos weren't included on the reissues, then where exactly would we go to hear the demos...?

Really, complaining that already reissued b-sides should be on here is little different to wanting Seventeen Seconds included with Faith because they are kind of similar.

ItsNotIt's likes this.
  2. WowBobWow

WowBobWow Forum Resident

Lars Medley likes this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That would be Happily Ever After LP :cool:

Pop_Zeus, RAZORMADE, vette442 and 4 others like this.
  4. dagobah

dagobah Forum Resident

Concerning the acronym SDE . . . . . . I think I know what you are referring to . . . . . . but I'm not sure. What is SDE?

c-eling likes this.
  5. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Super Deluxe Edition, a description of a release like this (more than 2 discs so it's not just deluxe it is super deluxe!) and also this website:
    The Cure / Wish 30th anniversary reissue – SuperDeluxeEdition

Pop_Zeus and seastman like this.
  6. dagobah

dagobah Forum Resident

c-eling likes this.
  7. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

I listen to the remasters of Faith and Kiss Me because they were upgrades to my cassettes… yes, after all these years I only bad them on cassette. In fact, I still only have Wish on cassette too, and have made MP3’s for listening to on my phone! Other than that my original CDs are fine, and I have several of the albums on LP for home listening.

As for demos, not much. I like some of the early stuff included on TIB. And there are a few other unfinished songs released as demos only on some of the other albums (e.g., Pirate Ships), but most of the demos are not very interesting. How much more could have been done? Wasn’t there piles of stuff recorded for Kiss Me?!!

And the live stuff is pretty limited too. I have a hard time breaking up the Curiosity material. I still love that old tape. And then we get around 4 “bootleg” live versions with each album. Only Disintegration got it right (boomy mix aside) with Entreat Plus. The Cure are an epic live band in their many configurations. Why not a proper live set for each album?

8. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

The Lost Wishes cassette is now sold out from the Cure store. This was strictly limited to 3500 copies.

9. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

Personally I have no interest in demos -regardless of the band. They tend to be a listen once thing - take Robert's demo of Push - why would anyone listen to that more than once and why would you want to own it? The definitive version is on The Head on the Door.

Ditto Roger Water's Wall demos vs the finished article.
    Demos are made for other band members, not for public consumption.

So no, I don't want them. The B sides are quality tracks and its a miss these are not included. Yes, I do have Join The Dots but not everyone does.

10. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Count me in as another [happy] owner of Join the Dots who would have still liked to see the B-sides appear on their respective deluxe album sets.

11. dagobah

dagobah Forum Resident

Are you referring to this?
    Lost Wishes: Exclusive Cassette
    If the Lost Wishes audio cassette is a bonus item in a large Special Edition re-release of an album . . . . . I get it . . . . . it's a souvenir, a bonus item thrown in as a goof. But I don't understand why 3,500 people would pay $16 [U.S. Dollars] for an audio cassette as a separate item. Why buy an audio cassette in year 2022?

12. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

Yes, that's the one. I see it's suddenly back and available for pre-order. I get why 3500 would buy the cassette. Because the music is good, the tracks are not available on vinyl - and The Cure is one of the biggest bands around. I already have Wish and ordered the cassette as I want to listen to Lost Wishes in my living room on its original format.

Paully likes this.
  13. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

It sucks that Lost Wishes didn't come out on CD at the time, even as a very limited release. I love the Wish era CD singles, the masterings sound great. I have Join The Dots too, and whilst it would've been good in a way to have their inclusion on Wish deluxe, I'm not sure my ears could take those 6 great songs being brickwalled to hell and back.

14. Suggy Bop Bop

Totally agree in terms of repeat listens, I can't say I delve into the previous reissues frequently.

I still llke hearing them though, so we're both right, and from one fan to another it isn't for me to doubt your rationale.

I suppose in an ideal world they could produce further combinations for sale, so we could choose Wish+Bsides, Wish+Demos, Wish+Show+Paris, then double packs of these options, plus all three together etc. But then the ecoonomics of smalller scale production runs would probably mean it would cheaper just to buy Join The Dots.

So they can't win, as every fan wants different things.

15. Suggy Bop Bop

It did a lot of good with its proceeds though, so good on them for doing it.

I would also like to mention that, certainly in the UK, after the first CD run of Wish went out of print, the next edition of it seen proceeds (I don't recall if whole or part of) went to Amnesty International.

Pretty sure that proceeds from Paris went to the Red Cross too.

For all the moaning about The Cure and Wish era releases, they sent a lot of money to good causes through several of them.

Pop_Zeus and Lars Medley like this.
  16. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I've pre-ordered the vinyl. Sadly there's nothing of any interest to me on the deluxe CD.

17. fictionalsounds

fictionalsounds Forum Resident

stuck w/my original :laugh: but was tempted!!

18. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Dang, that's a long delay. I guess they can capitalize on the Christmas season this way.

c-eling likes this.
  19. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

This. The Cure are such a great live band, it's shocking to me each album isn't represented by at least one full show from its respective tour. As great as the Entreat material is (we'll ignore mastering issues on the Disintegration deluxe), it's always preferable to hear songs in context, the ebb and flow of the show. The entire Disintegration album live is nice to have, but would be so much richer in context, the way the older material informed the performances of the new and so on.

A series of live releases/boxes would be a wonderful thing for a huge part of their legacy that's been criminally ignored. They weren't ones to go out and play over-rehearsed lifeless choreographed shows where each night is indistinguishable from the last...

Pop_Zeus, Lars Medley, BradB and 8 others like this.
  20. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Considering how many live tracks on the deluxe editions are sourced from bootlegs, why is it surprising they didn't include a live show from each tour? If I want to be picky I think Robert should have included all the BBC performances, but there was supposed to be a BBC collection released so..... Honestly with his track record of promising releases I'm just happy we got what we have. Deluxe releases of both Orange and Show would be all I need for live material. Maybe a complete Wembley that the original Entreat is pulled from as well. That nails the three live eras that I love. Oh and that "promised" BBC set :D

21. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

one of my pipedream cure releases is a multi-disc set of all the songs played at the wembley shows (42 in total!), sequenced to flow as one long gig. and perhaps a giga-box of the complete stand for the diehards

Pop_Zeus, MikeManaic61, jimhb and 2 others like this.
  22. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

Are you talking The Prayer Tour Wembley?

23. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

yes! i believe entreat consists of material from all three gigs, so i assume they were all taped

24. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

That would be a concert I sure would like to have on CDs! I saw them three nights in a row in Canada that year and It was a brilliant show!

Wasn't it suppose to came out at some point a few years ago? Didn't Robert said so??

:biglaugh:

25. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

This! I have a ton of really good bootlegs from The Cure, but I would love more official live releases.

For now, at least release In Orange and Paris and Show.

Oh, in 1987 my friend and I recorded most of the Houston show. I listened to it all the time. Sadly, I have since misplaced it (I did find my horribly recorded Simple Minds 1985 show). What I would give for a proper Kiss Me live release.