Rupert Hine: Surface Tension – The Recordings 1981-1983

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stephenwtayler, Aug 10, 2022.

1. stephenwtayler

stephenwtayler Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. PhR

PhR Forum Resident

Great news, even 'though I have the Voiceprint editions and A&M vinyls.
    All three albums are brilliant, my current fav is "The Wildest Wish To Fly".

The 10" promo album "Hine Sight" would have been a nice addition to bonustracks but I guess it was unavailable.

3. stephenwtayler

Hopefully the new versions will be an improvement over the Voiceprint editions - I was never happy with them. Yes 'Hine Sight' was fabulous - will see what we can do....

Eric_Generic and PhR like this.
  4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I foolishly dithered on the Unshy On The Skyline release until it went OOP, so I will have to make sure I get this.

Have digital versions of two Rupert albums, from many years ago on eMusic (is that even still going?), but it's not the same as having CDs.

EG.

5. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

I have the first two LPs and the 'Hine Sight' 10", but never got round to buying 'The Wildest Wish ...', so I'll be getting this new set.

Any chance of a John G. Perry set next, Mr. Tayler?

6. stephenwtayler

I guess that would be up to Esoteric Recordings/Cherry Red! Actually I first worked with Rupert on one of John's albums as a tape-op at Trident Studios - quite a while before I started to work alongside Rupert full time on Immunity after I became freelance. I saw John at Rupert's 70th birthday party - he is long retired from the music business.

7. PhR

PhR Forum Resident

I didn't find a clear answer from the liner notes who remastered them. Rupert was involved at some level with those reissues but were you at all?

8. stephenwtayler

I had no involvement. They just felt like clones of the original CDs

Eric_Generic and PhR like this.
  9. PhR

PhR Forum Resident

Yes, A&M released them first. I have never seen those editions but any Hine CD around here is a rare sight.

10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

@stephenwtayler , will "Make A Wish" be the version from the original CD, or the version that was on the Voiceprint remaster of Immunity.

(I never liked the Voiceprint version)

11. brimuchmuze

@stephenwtayler , a few other queries...

Is it correct these are remixed? If, so any chance of 5.1 versions?

Will there be a high res release?

Was there are compression applied, or mastering for CD by someone other than yourself?

12. stephenwtayler

The only difference between the versions of ‘Make A Wish’ is the breakdown section in the middle which was edited into our original mix for the first LP release - this was demanded by the record label who didn’t want the robotic voice learning to speak. It was replaced with a sung section with a background beat.

Rupert and I never liked this so it went back to the original full version for future releases. Like it or not, that was what was intended.

The rest of the mix is identical.

I think both my original CD and the Voiceprint version are identical, but I would need to check.

13. stephenwtayler

Sadly the multitracks have been lost - so no remix and no 5.1.

No idea about high res release.

I did the remastering for these CDs - there was compression on the original mixes, but it has been through a chain of subtle processes and adjustments in the mastering process to make it feel like the original mix sounded in the studio when it was mixed.

The mastering for the original LP was a real compromise due to the limitations of the format - and I was always disappointed. The same mastering was used to create the first CD release and again this felt like a compromise. I believe the Voiceprint version was just a digital clone.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  14. Mr Kinski

Mr Kinski Well-Known Member

I had the privilege of reviewing this box-set and can confirm that @stephenwtayler has done a wonderful job, as always Rupert Hine – Surface Tension – The Recordings 1981-1983 review

15. PhR

PhR Forum Resident

Great review! One error 'though. It's not Chris Thompson from Earth Band but Chris Thomson from Cafe Jacques, whose two excellent albums Rupert produced in 1977 and 1978.

One of my favourite moments on that album is in "One Man's Poison" when Steve Negus' (from Saga) drums come chrashing in after 4 or so minutes.

JPagan, Mr Kinski and stephenwtayler like this.
  16. stephenwtayler

Quite right - sadly it is spelt incorrectly in the credits in the booklet - I am disappointed I didn't notice that - oh well......

MiCanuck, Mr Kinski and PhR like this.
  17. brimuchmuze

I was just enjoying my old copy of "Waving Not Drowning" on vinyl before I found this thread.

These albums sound fantastic, among the best I've ever heard.

@stephenwtayler , wonderful job on engineering the recordings, looking forward to picking up this new box.

18. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Got this box set today!
    Sounds wonderful.
    Huge thanks to @stephenwtayler Great work!

stephenwtayler and PhR like this.
  19. stephenwtayler

20. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

A pity that the multitracks are lost as Hine's arid, precise music would be Tayler-made [forgive me, lord] for 5.1! But multitracks are so 20th century. AI-enhanced remixing is going to be a thing as they've already crossed that line with The Beatles. I can envision an app anyone can buy offering the ability for even fans to make their own Atmos mixes of anything they feed into it. Heck, Penteo software [used by Steven Wilson] on two tracks on Ultravox's "Rage In Eden" 5.1 where masters were missing, gives phase-free upmix that sounded very good, for a $700 cost.
    [​IMG]

stephenwtayler likes this.
  21. stephenwtayler

I personally have never liked the approach of up-mixing - I mean I do use Penteo for various reasons including down-mixing - but these days the technology for de-mixing is very sophisticated - it actually allows various ways of separating elements so they can be remixed - meaning you can change the levels, tone, effects, position etc... I am using this for various projects that need forensic work, and finding it quite successful. I could attempt to do this to these RH records at some point if there is the demand - and the budget!! Of course fans might be able to do this but commercial material would not be allowed to be shared publicly without a license! (The de-mix software companies makes this very clear!!)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    Post-Punk Monk and fRa like this.
  22. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

I am personally totally uninterested in fan mixes. And I actually resent it when these things get "out in the wild." It muddies the waters in addition to being copyright issue. Several readers of my blog are way into this and if it's their hobby [mine happens to be making personal CDs of record-only material] fine for them. But sometimes I get people involved with above board releases of such material complaining to me about having to issue takedown notices to these people. Sigh.

23. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Have bought this set today! :)

EG.

24. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

It's arrived, and I can't wait to get stuck in....

Is there a particular reason why Picture-Phone is so compressed/limited compared to everything else on the album. DR6 when most of the CD is in double figures (11 or 12). I presume the track, judging from the review posted upthread, is quite experimental and so this could be intentional?

EG.

25. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

Excited about this! Will order today.