The Who’s ‘Tommy’ - New 2022 Half-Speed Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benn Kempster, May 11, 2022.

1. leowasright

leowasright Well-Known Member

I have a copy of the MOV version of Whos Next, so yes, and yes it does sound quite good!

Sipuncula likes this.
  2. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Miles did an excellent job on this 2022 Tommy. It’s one of the best Mile’s cuts I’ve heard. Very clear and clean, while retaining the soul of the amazing music. Perhaps Miles improved some portions of his cutting chain?

Yes, I have the 2013 KG. They certainly sound different. Happy to have both.

johnny q, latheofheaven and sharedon like this.
  3. dee

dee Senior Member

Slightly OT, I was testing a few Tommy pressings I have as I need to let a few go. I had 1 Japan that was 1969 release. Based on Eyesight it appears the other Japan one is a variant, also from '69. I was under the impression the UK Track Part 1 and 2 was the alt version of Eyesight, but that's not what I'm hearing with that or what I assumed was a '73, normal 2LP UK pressing either. They're all the same 'high, strong vocal' ;) as the sacd original mix etc. and all the same, not the softer or weaker vocal Alt Version included on the Japan Two's Missing CD. It seems I'm having a hard time finding the actual alt version on vinyl, but I will check all that I have. I have it on the mfsl cd and the Two's Missing Japan cd.

DK Pete and J_D__ like this.
  4. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Never been a huge The Who fan, this is my first physical Tommy copy, and I think the pressing is great, sounds really good.

Can someone link the KG pressing?

5. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

Here’s the link to the Kevin Gilbert. Careful, this shares a UPC with other versions.

The Who - Tommy

grx8 likes this.
  6. leowasright

leowasright Well-Known Member

Very happy to agree with this. The MS 1/2 speed cut of Dire Straits Love Over Gold issued for RSD2022 also had a similar clarity to it.

Never found a KG cut of Tommy this side of the water, I have a MS cut from 2015 and a tatty original UK.

7. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I also have the Kevin Gray and, while the KG is better, the Ashley/Showell is surprisingly just as enjoyable. The KG might be slightly more natural and, if I had to get rid of one, would keep the KG, but, if you only had the JA/MS, you will be satisfied with it.

RubenH likes this.
  8. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Great review - - I too have the double SACD, and wonder if the new half-speed is worth getting. Thanks.

DK Pete likes this.
  9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It gets down to your approach on the album (this or any other)in terms of formats vs. being a completist. To be completely honest with you (and this is only my opinion), for sound quality only, if you have the SACD, you really don't need the half speed. But if it's a matter of having both vinyl and CD formats strictly for the love of the album and completist terms, it's worth getting, IMO.

RubenH and sharedon like this.
  10. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

With the reviews coming in, I think I might have to pick this one up in the next week. £32 on Amazon UK, which feels reasonable in this day and age.

DK Pete likes this.
  11. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Yes, it seems to be considerably cheaper in the UK.

Cool Chemist likes this.
  12. Ola Rundberget

Ola Rundberget Forum Resident

Have not heard the original, but this was a nice issue.!
    I just wonder whether the half-speed mastering made some sort of anomalies bleed thru, it sounds like vocal distortion on Eyesight To the Blind. But i cant tell whether its from the mix or if its crap in the grooves. ( i use headphones so i guess those who uses speakers wont hear it )
    And its not all they way thru the song, just some minor parts.

DK Pete likes this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I've always heard a bit of vocal distortion (on vinyl) on Hawker (Eyesight To The Blind) but also on Sensation. I find it's greatly diminished on the latter on this pressing.

dee, johnny q and Ola Rundberget like this.
  14. Ola Rundberget

Just not me who hears it then :)

DK Pete likes this.
  15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Definitely not; and while some will insist otherwise, I do not believe it’s *always* about a misaligned cart.

Ola Rundberget likes this.
  16. Paineish

Paineish Forum Resident

I bought Tommy when it was initially released in the United States in 1969. I was a high school freshman very in to The Who. When I graduated HS, my special song for our special page in the yearbook was Behind Blue Eyes. Sonically, the pressing was just exceptional, one of the best I've ever heard, unquestionably demonstration quality over a quite high end system; but all albums were thereafter lost to a natural disaster, not to mention the expensive kit.

After buying new kit and eventually the new SL1200GAE and then a new Tommy album, original to 1969, pressed by MCA, the pressing proved a shattering disappointment, compared to my lost prize. It was a terrible blow, hobby-wise. I just a few days ago happened upon a new article in the current version of Analog Planet touting this reissue to the heavens and indicating strongly that it would be just the ticket for this customer.

It is, I recommend it for the reasons stated in the AP article. For those members with marginal versions of the LP or no version at all, this particular pressing ought to be regarded a pretty fine option. I don't think buyers will be disappointed.

While I agree absolutely that the top end does not soar with all that implies for dimension and spaciousness, it is very natural sounding, and the vocals are very well done in my view. My personal experience with quite a few Miles Showell efforts indicates to me that the guy is trying to do a creditable job cutting vinyl. While I'm not thinking he's at the very top of the mastering universe, I often like what I hear, it's never painfully bright.

In short, this is a decent buy. I feel confident that most buyers would be reasonably happy with the pressing. Compared to my awful second 1969 original copy, there is far more bottom weight and much more body. I consider Side 1 the definitive side of this album or have since I owned the exceptional pressing and such pricey kit, years ago. This reissue captures much of that glory. Think of this as a solid B or B+. I happen to have now the Classics reissue of Quadrophenia, the 140g version. That sort of thing is an order or 2 of magnitude better than this effort but not remotely is this Tommy reissue chopped liver. I take it as a given that Showell's cuts are variable depending on countless variables. I place this in the job well done column. Side 1 is impressive. IMO.

fmfxray373, keiron99, teag and 2 others like this.
  17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Is the Astley remaster used for this release same one used for any prior release (LP, CD or SACD) of Tommy? Or is it a new remastering done just for this release?

There seems to be more made out of Miles cutting the lacquers than of the remastering by Astley. I do realize they are both important. Maybe it's because of the half speed debate. I believe the Astley remasters are considered very well done by Who fans.

18. Ola Rundberget

How do you pack it in a sleeve? I found it difficult as there are three "folds"

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

You need an extra wide sleeve. I highly recommend @sleeviewonder.com

20. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Are there any folks that have compared the Classic records Tommy to this 1/2 speed version.

beatleswho likes this.
  21. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I am glad you guys mentioned this, I TOO thought it was me/my gear!

I just got the new 2022 Tommy and listened to all 4 sides in one sitting. Amazing sounding record, they did a great job on this.

dee, DK Pete and James RD like this.
  22. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

I ask the same!

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Both versions sound great in different ways but the Classic has more low end. I did a comparison a few pages back between the two well as my original Decca.

sharedon, dee, Tuck1977 and 1 other person like this.
  24. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I got my little soon to be 16yr old nephew this new 1/2 speed for his birthday. Maybe I’ll get to compare it to my classic one day. He loves old music so he is slowly getting a collection of it building up.

ODShowtime and DK Pete like this.
  25. RJB1954

RJB1954 Member

I have a Mint 1977 MCA2-10005 pressing that sounds pretty good to these old ears. is the new Abby Road version worth the 60 bucks ???