Selling a special LP collection

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Kenny Gunlock, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Kenny Gunlock

Kenny Gunlock Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello,
    I need some suggestions from experienced sellers of rather expensive vinyl.
    I am helping the family of a recently deceased collector sell the equipment and records. This collector bought the Rudy Van Gelder collection upon his death, and the cream of this collection is going to be sold, along with about 7,000 other titles. It looks to be a couple complete numbered set in NM to Mint condition (hundreds of unplayed 12" and 10") and much Blues as well.
    As a collector myself, I was given a few of the classic rock titles as payment (Led Zep WLPs and test pressings, Floyd 1st pressing of DSOTM, the Doors WLPs) and there's much more.
    However, we have had one silly offer from someone who's company sells worldwide. We understand this collection will not get anywhere what it's really worth...but the initial offer we got was a slap in the face. (We are talking well under $50 per title)
    We are not sure who to contact, but one thought has been Sotheby's auction?

Thanks for any suggestions,

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

An auction house is definitely worth considering. Heritage Auctions usually does very well with their auctions and I'm continuously amazed at some of the bids their lp auctions attract. They are consistently higher than say Discogs or eBay prices.

The titles alone (if they are of the level of those you were given and better) would be enough to spark interest from an auction house but the connection to Rudy Van Gelder will definitely help.

I wish I knew enough of the big players (non auction) in the US but I don't so I can't recommend anyone for you. I recall a few names being mentioned on here over the years though so perhaps others will chime in.

LordThanos1969 and rcsrich like this.
  3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I'd talk to Heritage Auctions. They have been getting good prices on heavy hitters lately and I think they are better attuned to the modern record market.

eddiel and showtaper like this.
  4. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Rudy's own copies of things he recorded, I'd think someone would pay a hefty premium for that.

klownschool and rcsrich like this.
  5. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

If the provenance documentation is available to buyers that the LPs are from Rudy Van Gelder’s personal collection, an auction house seems like the best route, though I don’t have experience with any.

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  6. Kenny Gunlock

Thanks,
    I will be looking into Heritage a little deeper. I took a real quick look earlier, but couldn't find the right selling format. Neither myself or the other person working on this live close, so we are going to have to find a "do it all" auction house or couple buyers. The logistics of trying to sell this collection piece-meal will not work.
    Based on an earlier auction, I know Sotheby's will send a representative to do their own official documentation, and just take over from there.

eddiel and showtaper like this.
  7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Heritage has sold single items for me although nothing in that league. Even with my lower value items I didn't mess around with filling out forms on the website, I found the name for the expert in that area and called her on the phone. For a major consignment like you are talking whichever lower level guy you get first will find the guy you should be speaking with. There will be much to discuss including commission levels

Ultimately you will get the items to them and they will catalogue and photograph them at their premises.

chazz101s likes this.
  8. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Heritage. Do not set sale this. You'll be lowballed everywhere you turn by record stores and collectors and big players.
    "We understand this collection will not get anywhere what it is worth". Incredible statement. It will. All the "big players" just resell by auction or big set sale. You make the money. Auction.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Auction house for sure for the Rudy stuff. Keep that together.

The rest you'll need to work through and decide how to do things, depending on what's there.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  10. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Van Gelder collection.....you'd have every high end Jazz collector in the world bidding. You'll have every jazz collector and record store trying to mow you down before you auction it. Don't let them do it because all they going to do is auction it.

fretter and Dave like this.
  11. Kenny Gunlock

Yeah, we do understand that for anyone who's going to go through the work...and time to piece this out, they need to make a good profit. Which means a lower price for the family that owns it. However the wife has no knowledge of such things, and the person who has verified the spreadsheets doesn't have time to piece it out. That leaves the two of us that are helping pack the stereo gear & LPs (this is audio by the pound, starting with 800 lbs of speakers and amps that total about 900 lbs over six chassis)
    We both have full time jobs and live more than 3 hours away...so logistics just don't work out to sell this off in pieces.
    Van Gelder's collection...and one other he bought (Ira ??? can't think of last name) make this whole collection worth that much more. We believe once the two main collections sell, the rest would be pieced out in small groups or single titles, which is going to be a large headache.
    If I lived closer, I'd do it...as you all correctly state, the Van Gelder collection alone will bring a high price

eddiel likes this.
  12. Kenny Gunlock

AND...it does look like we have someone who's starting to get serious, but that will only be for the jazz and blues titles.
    That leaves a few classical and rock titles to deal with, but most of them are collector type stuff with respect to promos and UK 1st pressings, so we might look at helping sell some of that

eddiel likes this.
  13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Sell them here..... :shrug:

klownschool likes this.
  14. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Could it be Ira Gitler? Good grief…Van Gelder’s and Gitler’s personal collections…sheesh

caravan70 and fretter like this.
  15. Kenny Gunlock

Gitler, yes! you've jogged my memory.

rcsrich likes this.
  16. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Not sure how else to say it, but this collection needs to be kept together, maybe even in the library of congress or something. Honestly it sounds like more of a national treasure than a record collection due to the cultural significance...

17. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Agree- maybe consider reaching out to the Library of Congress or Smithsonian- the personal collections of the foremost recorder of jazz and one of the most notable jazz critics probably does qualify as a national treasure.

18. Kenny Gunlock

Interesting thought, Also it couldn't hurt to send of an email or two. I will give it a shot.

Also, Astro70 the Velvet Underground Warhol cover you have as an avatar...there are three NM unpeeled copies in this collection

19. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Nice! I can imagine most of our jaws would drop several times looking through the collection!

fretter and zongo like this.
  20. Kenny Gunlock

I know my jaw stays on the floor when I'm there!

astro70 likes this.
  21. DanOmegaAuctions

DanOmegaAuctions Active Member

Hi Kenny - Dan here from Omega Auctions. We're the world's number one auction house for vinyl records - based over in the UK. Would be more than happy to discuss how we could work with you on this. We've had auctions for many of the greatest collectors of vinyl / memorabilia worldwide and have sold many of the rarest records in the world. We've worked on big collection based in US before and can certainly assist on logistics.

You can reach us on [email protected] or call on 01925 873 040

Some links for prev results:

Lot 888 - DARK - DARK ROUND THE EDGES LP (ORIGINAL

Lot 148 - LEAF HOUND - GROWERS OF MUSHROOM LP

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/beatles-record-auction-1.3465685

And our most recent sales

Auction Results

Thanks!

Shoes1916 likes this.
  22. Kenny Gunlock

Thank You Dan!
    I have sent your information on to the person I am working with on this.
    We have contacted someone who is pretty serious, however if they are not serious enough, we will certainly reach out to you.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It is quite unlikely that any private party sale of the name collections would come anywhere close to what you'd get at auction, even after commission.

Those are once in a lifetime things, and there are very rich collectors around the world who would probably bid.

For the rock stuff, if someone offers you a number for the lot and you're inclined to take it, I'd describe what you have here before you agree.

If you decide to piece it out, let the auction gallery look first and let you know if there are pieces worth auctioning.

24. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

"Once in a lifetime things" is 100% correct. I almost died when it was offered to a store. This is a worldwide auction with monster bids. Don't let the emails from people who want to buy it from you set sale raise your eyes, they'll bid.....they can talk all day about what they have bought in decades previously and big numbers but in the end an auction format will win.

Dave and pscreed like this.
  25. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Auction with a reputable house. Rely on them to help you. Do NOT let anyone come in and pick this beforehand no matter what they tell you. Reading between the lines this looks like a major event. Would not surprise me to see write ups in major media (NYT, WSJ, WAPO, etc.) either.

caravan70 and Dave like this.