Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Stepping out retirement here to shed some much needed light on this Dance nonsense.

Two things:

-the riff Jimi is often said to have borrowed is *played by Jimi* on the 12/67 JHE recording. The basic clean toned guitar is Noel, the distorted guitar line similar to Ezy Ryder is played by the great man himself.

-Dance is a Redding/Hendrix co-write. At least that is what Noel says in several early 1968 interviews as well as written correspondence during the period.

Noel had high hopes that Dance would appear on a post Axis 45 release and for a short period such a release was considered by all involved.

I love the guy but Noel's claim that Jimi stole his 'booker T riff' for Midnight and his 'My Friend' title are complete non-sense. Ditto his account of the events surrounding Denver '69.

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Hi Chris, good to see you - you're missed.
    Agreed on all that.

The Booker T riff is very close to the MG's tune Home Grown, so Noel showing Jimi a riff that he probably already knew (Jimi referenced the tune Jellybread from the same album Soul Dressing in an interview) doesn't really merit a co-write.

Noel's song My Friend was recorded in March 1970, and he didn’t play on Jimi's 1968 recording so he maybe just assumed it was a 1970 recording when he saw the Cry of Love album and drew the wrong conclusion. Jimi's bandmates weren't scholars of his recordings.

Hep Alien, Vintage1976, Bruce and 6 others like this.
  3. candyman

candyman Active Member

this does look like its really maxxiing out these sessions. look how many versions of freedom there are! lol.

but, if these takes are different from the final versions, ie less overdubs, hopefully NO overdubs in some cases, as those were really overdone on the First Rays versions of most of these songs, then it could be worthwhile. otherwise, its just a padding out exercise in barely different takes, with some rare ish cuts thrown in there.

i am interested, as a lot of this material is good, but it was wayyyyy better and more exciting in the live shows (or on the live albums they have released), than the finished studio versions IMO. if they have stripped down versions, then thats the only way it could be interesting, for me at least.

Hep Alien and Tuck1977 like this.
  4. JR63

JR63 Forum Resident

I pre-ordered this release from Bull Moose in January and just sent them an email asking for a status update. This was their response:

“Thank you for reaching out! The release date that we currently have for this item is December 31, 2022, so this will be shipping out closer to that date.”

5. Nodrog96

Nodrog96 Forum Resident

That's only another 166 days to look out of your belly button window.

6. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

If they replied the 30th of December I would be more inclined to believe it, it just might be the farthest they can push it out in their system.

Hep Alien, Judge Judy, dee and 4 others like this.
  7. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Supports what I heard and posted already.

The aim is for the year end for release.

8. davies54

davies54 Forum Resident

Would be a nice xmas present!!!

RAZORMADE and footlooseman like this.
  9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Well, December 31 is the year’s end

10. Gordon Johnson

Yeah, that's more or less an accurate shout!

Though the stated release date maybe shouldn't be taken so literal. The end of the year is the AIM, before just after, thereabouts:)

dryjoy likes this.
  11. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Seems like it won't be out until all legal action is concluded, which could be tomorrow or until the end of time, as RAH has shown us.

supernaut, Hep Alien and Tuck1977 like this.
  12. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

An odd date. Just sounds like the date that's given when there is no date.

13. Gordon Johnson

Yep, no set release date. The AIM for the release is by the end of the year.

dryjoy, Zappateer and Lord Summerisle like this.
  14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Sounds like you are experienced with this kind of thing. :)

Lord Summerisle likes this.
  15. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

:laugh:

The Hud likes this.
  16. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

My order on Amazon still isn't canceled

17. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

+1

MikeInFla, jhm and Mullin like this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

This dispute will not be like the Goldstein/RAH debacle.

19. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

Is RAH#2 one of his very best professionally recorded shows?

20. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Opinions will always vary, but the general consensus is yes. I'd say that the highs greatly outweigh the lows for that show. Things start to fall apart a bit towards the end of the show.

21. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

+2

22. davies54

davies54 Forum Resident

+3

Gavaxeman likes this.
  23. There has been a long history of retailers ,particularly Amazon , putting in a “dummy” 31 December date when they list something without having an official date.
    I’m not worried about the actual date but just glad it hasn’t been put into the deep freeze.Anytime between the run up to Christmas and the 12 month anniversary of the original listed release date is fine by me.

melkor_morgoth and davies54 like this.
  24. Beyond Salvation

Beyond Salvation Forum Resident

Your question now answered....
    Come on JH!!

Dr. Nick, andrewskyDE, Bonddm and 6 others like this.
  25. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

My order STILL hasn't been canceled by Amazon... any details or word when this will come out?

Dr. Nick likes this.