J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Stopped watching after season 3.

mds likes this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Discussion thread here: Westworld Season 4

This series takes work. I have watched the first three about three times each episode, and that helped me really get the best of it, and I confess I enjoy it. Looking forward to rewatching all of Season 4 sequentially--I have watched most episodes twice.

Lars Medley, Simon A and kevywevy like this.
  3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Yes, it does take a bit of work and one's full attention. Most people don't want to think that hard. The more insipid , the better.

Lonson likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

5. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

There was no reason to continue with it beyond Season 2. But now that they've set up the potential conclusion... why not give it 1 more season? This sucks. I guess maybe it'll get picked up by someone else?

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Maybe a movie finale, not sure where it lands.

I don't see S4 until the home video in a couple weeks.

Time to print up some "Complete Series" steel books and put all the discs in it.

7. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

That insulated-vest-wearing ***** is just taking HBO apart. Think any of the Nolans will ever work with him again?

Lars Medley and Rodant Kapoor like this.
  8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

9. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

IMO, there was nowhere else for the story to go. This past season wrapped it up for me.

10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yeah, it's so deep to have Lisa Joy, creator/writer of the show, turning the main character, Dolores, into the creator/writer of the world. After the hosts have already taken over and wrecked it for everyone. Just wow. So deep I wanted to stop watching it.

MikaelaArsenault and ubiknik like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Jonathan Nolan and his wife Lisa Joy got massive, major money in a new deal to work with Netflix, so my take is that cancelling Westworld was somewhat punishment for them from WB management. "Oh, so now you're gonna leave? F you, your (marginal) show is cancelled!" That's pretty typical for life in Hollywoo.

Note the ratings were 12 million with season 1, and down to 4 million for season 4, so I get why they made the decision. Westworld was a very, very expensive show for WB and HBO, and the last thing the new studio chiefs want is to spend a lot of money on a show that's not getting massive ratings.

I was baffled by Season 4 and got 3-4 shows in and finally said, "screw this... it's nutty and all over the place. So Aaron Paul is an android, too, and living in some kind of alternate reality? What?"

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

13. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Anybody that ever enjoyed this show should run, not walk, over to Amazon Prime and check out The Peripheral. It's really quite good!

15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Thanks. I may check that out. But the things I enjoyed about Westworld had almost nothing to do with sci fi and much to do with enjoying inspired insights about the human condition, consciousness and westerns. Let's not forget this was a genre-bending show that for the first two seasons was as much a western as sci fi.

GentleSenator and ubiknik like this.
  17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The only reason I mention The Peripheral is that it's made by the same people that made Westworld. While not being a Western, it still a mind-bender!;)

Vidiot likes this.
  18. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

Sad news, while it may have never reached its potential it's still better than most shows that make it 4 season.

19. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

First season was great. Second season had 1-2 episodes that were just as good.
    This last season was better than season 3 but it was a good idea to stop the show.

20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I guess they spread themselves too thin, focused on The Peripheral and dialed in West World? That would certainly explain a few things.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Really looking forward to it -- the promos for The Peripheral look terrific.

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Lars Medley likes this.