SH Spotlight Wanna check how your CD player is doing? "Tigerlily" CD Natalie Merchant, how I compared CD players

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

It really depends on your system and your speakers. I bet in the studio on the typical studio monitors those esssssses were not obvious.

George P and audiomixer like this.
  2. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Honestly Tigerlily is one of the few DVD-A that sounds really good IMO.
    I bought the cd because this forum said it was good, but I hardly play it.

I'd be curious to hear if the MFSL cd is much better than the common cd.

mikeyt, jfeldt and mBen989 like this.
  3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I'll say it'll be an apples to apples affair, depending on what WEA sent to MoFi.

4. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

The DVD-A is multichannel only, correct? I read that the case was mislabeled as having a stereo only layer included.

5. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Do you think it's due to the double tracked vocals?

6. Steve Hoffman

Nah, wonky studio monitors, you know, 15" woofer, horn tweeter that starts rolling off around 8k? Can't hear the stuff way up top.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  7. seanw

seanw Forum Resident

SQ aside, the MFSL includes a lovely piano coda on Wonder that's faded out on the original CD. Running times are 4:41 vs. 4:28. In that way I would suggest it's better. :)

mikeyt, Tim Albertson and eelkiller like this.
  8. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Sounded like a good player - just checked Ebay , they are 400$ up to 800$.

mikeyt likes this.
  9. Freddie Freeloader

Freddie Freeloader Forum Resident

A fun little experiment! On my new speakers, just a few weeks old, the esses on Carnival sound a bit too pronounced, like Natalie has a bit of a lisp. On headphones the lisp is gone and the esses sound natural. Interesting!

On both speakers and headphones the difference between 5 en 9 is pretty big indeed.

The reverb on 2 sounds overdone to me, not particularly fake, but definitely not good. :)

I'm going to use this test to compare the cd with (high res) streaming in the coming days. I haven't really noticed much difference between these two types of sources before, but maybe this test will reveal something...

BeatlesBop likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

I guess your speakers are a bit bright up there. Might smooth out a bit with break in though..

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    Freddie Freeloader likes this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member

Track 5 - Yes, some spit on the S, but not excessive.

Track 9 - Huge drop in midrange and overall SQ.

Track 2 - I hear some of the reverb in the guitar, but not so much otherwise.

Have you heard the MFSL CD, Steve? On the MFSL, all of the above improves, no spit on the S on Track 5 and more dynamic overall.

12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

That describes my copy : multichannel only.
    I have my player downmix it ( not ideal ) if I want to play it in 2.0
    Contemplated buying the MoFi for 2.0 but decided I don’t like the album enough to bother

13. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

I hear the sound of a Neve in these recordings. That solid thick bottom end.

nosticker likes this.
  14. Freddie Freeloader

Freddie Freeloader Forum Resident

Yeah, the 24/96 stream on Qobuz sounds like AM radio! Weird. The 16/44.1 stream sounds like the cd.

petercw2 likes this.
  15. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

After reading this thread I went out to my local Goodwill to get Tigerlily and they had TWO copies!
    I could definitely hear differences in the reverb tails between different players on track Wonder, but my poor old ears couldn't hear any sibilant esses on Carnival.

gonz and rcsrich like this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I thought why not try this. Never really listened to any other songs from it except Carnival. My wife likes that song as well and play it every now and then. I have my original promo I got when I was still working. I always though it sounded pretty good for a CD with decent lower end and such. The "S" sounds come across okay on my system, but could hear how it might sound a bit off on different setups. When I listened to Jealousy and paid close attention, the midrange sounded hollow compared to Carnival. Never really listened to "Wonder" but I'm sure I heard what you were referring to. Interesting exercise.

I actually had the Annie Lennox "Medusa" CD filed next to the Merchant as my wife likes to follow up "Carnival" with "Thin Live Between Love and Hate" which I played directly after. Talk about one amazing sounding song. This was my original promo as well and if anyone else has the original 1995 of that, does that song not have one awesome soundstage/clarity to it allowing the vocals to almost drip right out of my speakers. Sorry for the sidebar there...

17. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

This is a great sounding CD overall

ARK and Static like this.
  18. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Just picked up a copy in a used bin for $4.99 in Binghamton, NY while dropping my girl back to school for her sophomore year. Looking forward to ripping it to my jRiver server and hearing how my DAC and system handle it.

19. Static

Static Forum Resident

Ok so this is entertaining. One of my favorite sounding discs from the 90s.
    Listening with my 2007 Rega Apollo w/display off-Silver Dragon Cables/Then switched to my Sony x303es cd player 1994/display off same cables. I also compared both to my 2021 dac setup.
    But I want to compare my cd players.
    Both did a really good job - the Rega seemed to tone down the irregularites. The sony - which I still enjoy as a cd player- seemed to show the issues with more detail. The dac crushed both.
    This was a great test ...thank you!

I just turn on my system when I get home (when Im out working etc) or when I am home I just keep it on. There are so many schools of thought. I will say my solid state/tube bass amp sounds WAY better after it warms up for a while.

20. Static

Static Forum Resident

BTW. Was this even recorded in true hi res? Or is the hi res probably an up sample?

21. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Agree- and this is one that often pops up in the thrift store/discount used bins, at least around here, so no reason not to pick up a copy!

ARK, JeffMo and Static like this.
  22. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

And can I just say how excellent it would be if a thread posted by Steve resulted in a reversal if this situation…sounds like it’s already spurred a bunch of Goodwill purchases!

ARK and Static like this.
  23. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Ok, how about YouTube of Carnival? I don't have the CD but the Youtube does indicate Natalie's 'S' sounds aren't too spity (quite soft overall) but I can here an intermittent high frequency around 12kHz that just might be part of YT SQ differences. Can you hear this high frequency in her 'S' sound especially where she says "Seem to Me"? close to the beginning.

ARK likes this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

eBay prices soar!! :laugh::laugh:

ARK, rcsrich and Static like this.
  25. Static

Static Forum Resident

I like the sizzle on her vocals...it adds some edge to her mellow tone. It helps her vocals cut thru the mix. Without that extra tone her voice would be too muffled. IMO. I prefer this live also as it helped my vocals cut thru the instruments (when I used to perform).

Tim Lookingbill likes this.