Prey (2022) - New Predator movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeline Man, Jun 7, 2022.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Alan Silvestri score?

2. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Prey took place in the 1740s, so they're already past the 17th century.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I watched Prey this week with my brother-in-law.

In my humble view, it is an outstanding film and the best installment in the franchise since the original.

4. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I rewatched Predator 2 last night and my wife remarked about the gun (I missed the connection).

Very cool they brought it back 'round.

But I guess the question now is, how did the Predators get the gun back?...

I'm in for Prey Again or Keep Preyin' or whatever comes next.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Your not going to get a reply in this thread.

shug4476 likes this.
  6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Watched it this weekend, thought it was fun!

Kind of a "Predator meets The Revenant", and much better than I expected. I like the actors, the plot and the cinematography was really amazing in 4K HDR.

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Not sure what the question is? did he compose the score to Prey? No.

Prey Full Cast & Crew
    Prey (2022) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb

alexpop likes this.
  8. I’ve always felt that the Predator species looks at Earth as a trophy ‘hunting’ ground (similar as to how some people view hunting safaris). Some Predators want more of a challenge so use less sophisticated weaponry.

mcnpauls, CharlieClown and RSteven like this.
  9. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

After rewatching Predator 2 this past weekend, I thought that feral Pred's level of armament denoted his rank. He would earn more with each successful hunt. The group of Preds at the end of 2 had different configurations of equipment (including some without the shoulder gun). The Pred that came forward to address Harrigan I figured was the leader and was also decked out with the most gear.

Regards,
    Dave

Chrome_Head and Shawn like this.
  10. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

The title sequence (at movie's end) features animated drawings of key moments from the movie. Keep watching, though, and those animations will also show what happens following the events in this movie:
    two Yautja space ships arrive at the village!

There is a terrific long-take fight scene, when Naru fights settlers at their camp. I saw an interview online where the actress said she and her stunt double swapped back-and-forth who was on camera during the sequence. It's cool to re-watch that fight scene, knowing where the seams are in the fabric.

I saw a critic who argued that Naru's arrogance in chasing after the Yautja, for her selfish interests, caused the Yautja to hunt her tribe's men, who went out to look for her. The Yautja probably would have left her tribe alone, as not a threat, if Naru had not poked it. I would add that if the Yautja in this movie was a scout, looking for planets with worthy prey to hunt (as people interpret this movie), Naru's defeat of the Yautja has shown the Yautja species that humans on Earth are worthwhile prey to hunt. So you can blame Naru's selfish arrogance of wanting to be a big-shot for causing the deaths of her brother, all of the able-bodied males in her tribe, and any human who is killed by a Yautja in the future. :laugh:

I think this movie has created some messes in Predator canon (e.g., Alien vs. Predetor established the Yautja had been to earth already, plus had more sophisticated weapons in prior periods than the Yautja in this movie had). Although the past Predator movies were already getting a little messy about canon and consistency. First priority was making a good movie to get the franchise back on track, and I guess they'll have to patch up canon for later.

mcnpauls likes this.
  11. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

We watched Prey a couple nights ago. We both liked it (me and the wife). We had seen the original OG Predator in Times Sq. when it opened. (That was a circus). This had a sort of foreboding element like Apocalypto to me--
    I thought the young man who played the lead's brother was terrific. And some of the slip-sliding through the mountains and passes was athletic in the extreme.

mcnpauls, Judge Judy and Chrome_Head like this.
  12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Then there’s The Predator that makes a sheer mess out of the canon. Where does it go from there? The filmmakers were smart to go back in time for this one.

mcnpauls and RSteven like this.
  13. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I just finished watching it. I thought it was great.

Honestly, it’s too good for that franchise. I enjoyed the first movie but this was at a completely different level of filmmaking,

14. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

I thought the pacing was a bit slow in the first half or so, and I just did not find the recreation of the tribe's dwelling place very convincing, however apart from that, I thoroughly enjoyed everything else: the lead is outstanding, as is her brother, I liked the slightly archaic feeling of the predator, the trappers were despicable, the braves were genuinely brave.

PH416156 likes this.
  15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Surprise of this year, so far: I didn't think it could be that good. And as @SamS told, the cinematography is incredible.

This movie would have deserved a theatrical release, imho. Well done, 20th Century studios and Hulu.

16. I watched last night and really enjoyed it. Might watch again tonight.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

As I wrote in another thread. They did almost everything right in this film. Great views, good acting, good direction and story line.

It's a very good movie. Perhaps the best in the franchise. And it had a much more realistic and serious lean.

Great entertainment.

vegafleet likes this.
  18. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

It was an okay movie, somewhat easily forgettable.

19. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Saw it last night. I agree it is the best of the franchise. The cinematography and nature setting were almost too good for a B-movie. Some of the nature shots were breathtaking. This movie, without the alien, with the French as the antagonists, would have been a fine movie itself.

Outstanding action and effects, with just the right amount of gore. Surprisingly surprising in the high quality of all its elements. I don't how accurate the depiction of the Native American culture is in this movie, but it did make me wish it was a movie about them, not the alien.

Stormrider77 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  20. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Saw it last night. I agree it is the best of the franchise. The cinematography and nature setting was almost too good for a B-movie. Some of the nature shots were breathtaking. This movie, without the alien, with the French as the antagonists, would have been a fine movie itself.

Outstanding action and effects, with just the right amount of gore. Surprisingly surprising in the high quality of all its elements. I don't how how accurate the depiction of the Native American culture is in this movie, but it did make me wish it was a movie about them, not the alien.

21. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Finally watched the 2022 Prey, followed by the 1987 Predator immediately afterwards.

Two completely different films. Each one has its merits but I enjoyed Prey more. Fine acting, great nature shots and the overall story is very good.

Judging by the animation at the end it seems there will be a sequel but I wish they would move on and create a new Predator story in a different time and place.

22. Lenny99

I think you have a good point. I don't know how accurate the Native Americans were depicted. But that part of the movie was worth the price of admission. I did a little research and read a woman could become a warrior if she proved capable.

The bravery of the warriors in the face of certain defeat is a fact noted by the early Europeans up to the Western Wars of the late 1800's.

That's why I liked the scene where the male lead, on a horse almost killed the preditor. The way he dodged the shots, while shouting was unforgettable. The midair lunge, the roll on the ground, the bow and arrow shots, the slide under the preditor, really great stuff.

And, according to the US Calvery during the Western Wars was very true. I think it was General Sherman who said something like, the Native Americans were the best mounted warriors he'd ever seen.

It was a tribute to their life style.

23. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I agree. I thought this was way better than it should have been, given the track record of this series. It’s very simple with no fat whatsoever.

when it battled the grizzly, I cheered at the end. That was pretty inspired.

Lenny99 and vegafleet like this.
  24. Lenny99

Yes. That grizzly scene was cool. I believe the bear attack was accurately portrayed.

I also like the wolve scene though wolves seldom attack alone unless they have been forced out of a pack. If a pack of wolves attacked the preditor it might have been a different outcome.

Leviethan likes this.
  25. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

When her brother burst in at light speed on his Horse and starting playing with the predator I cheered. Such a goddamn badass. Zero fear.

Lenny99 likes this.