Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Eliminator Jr.

Eliminator Jr. Forum Resident

There’s also the intriguing fact that the person who answers the door in the final scene at the Palmer residence is the real life owner of the house. It stands for debate that Cooper and Laura left the Twin Peaks universe entirely and ended up “here”.

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I thought that too. I think their stopping at a Valero gas station (a real world gas station) was significant.

3. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

How many movies or shows have you watched in your life that years after the final credits rolled, kept you occupied, thinking of it, and trying to figure out what the hell happened? I Can't think of many more, if any.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

DL is working on more Twin Peaks I read.

MikaelaArsenault and ubiknik like this.
  5. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

Mulholland Drive, which sucked me in to the world of David Lynch in the first place. I had to watch it again the next day.

6. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

After more than 30 years, I still listen to the original soundtrack once in a while....priceless.

7. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Damn, thought that tweet was something new.

MikaelaArsenault, smilin ed and Binni like this.
  8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

For those of you who have Xfinity, Twin Peaks: The Return is available to watch for free from July 26 - August 1.

Rupe33, trumpet sounds and mdm08033 like this.
  9. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Mark Frost is not dead.

10. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Also didn't have poor viewership. Showtime had its biggest jump in subscribers to its app at that point when it was released

11. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

No question the interest for The Return was large, but so was the disappointment after the first four episodes. Twin Peaks The Return is the single worst thing David Lynch has ever created — and intentionally so. Lynch fan-boys we’re so busy trying to convince themselves (and everyone else) that The Return was a masterpiece, they didn’t even see Lynch’s outright contempt for the project and its fans.

Then again, the Lynch die-heads are far less interested in Lynch’s films, than they are with showing every other Lynch-fan that they “get it” — as if there is anything to “get” about Lynch’s films.

:shake:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  12. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Um, what? I know tons of fans that enjoyed the series, as weird as it was.

Every time I see this thread get updated I hope it's with news of a new season.

vertigone, This Heat and Jazzmonkie like this.
  13. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Having written about Lynch and taught a course on Twin Peaks my students loved the new season, except for like one who never heard of Lynch or the show and just enrolled in the course. Don't like it? Perfectly fine but it's childish to assume bad faith on the part of others who don't share your dislike

14. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Well, I for one LOVED Twin Peaks The Return, and I was floored by how creative and well put together it was. I never thought it would be so good.

15. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

LOL. You didn't like the show, clearly. But the series was both loved by fans and was also wildly acclaimed by critics - incredible, for something so experimental. Rolling Stone, Esquire, Washington Post and others named it the best TV show of the year. You may think you know what "Lynch die-heads" are "showing" but all you are showing is your inability to appreciate something that many others did, that's nothing to be loud and proud of, IMO. Very odd how you project your own disappointment (if you even watched it) onto the rest of the world, when there is no evidence for the latter. Vulture named it the best TV series of the decade, and it wasn't the only one to do so. Even odder is your reading of Lynch's mind to reveal the "secret fact" that he actually made something intentionally bad because he hates his own fans. My god, there's a lot there to unpack, man, and it's not about Lynch.

16. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I think he meant Warren Frost, Mark's father, aka Doc Heyward, who died in 2017.

GentleSenator and ubiknik like this.
  17. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Exactly! I mean there are hours of documentary footage of the making of the season and early on Lynch stepped away over a budget dispute. The idea that he wasn't trying to make the best version of the script he and Frost spent a long time writing is so completely false

SRC likes this.
  18. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Maybe he pulled the film last minute? If indeed we get something else from the Twin Peaks universe (I don't think we will) it'll be completely secret until it's announced.

19. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

That's what I wondering. He pulled it for whatever reason because usually you don't have high-level rumors from critics floating around like that. Someone could have seen footage or an early cut.

Edit: also, it does seem like he was close to something with Netflix but the pandemic put it off. But nobody from Netflix seems to have been leaking info.

20. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I made use of it!

Edgard Varese and CraigVC like this.
  21. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I was equally disappointed and enthralled with the series. I think it could have been about half as long, that a lot of it was quite tedious, and that some parts looked downright cheap. But certain episodes rank among the most profound things I've ever seen on TV and so I ultimately walked away satisfied. Sometimes, there's a certain value in watching an artist be an artist. I'm not sure it's fair to say that Lynch felt contempt for the project and its fans, though he may have been expressing contempt toward television itself (if some theories are to be believed).

Edgard Varese and This Heat like this.
  22. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I think the documentary of the making definitely suggests he wasn't entirely happy with the budget and shooting constraints. The digital effects are definitely odd and don't look particularly realistic but they do align with what he was doing with his internet experiments. I thought they were more effective on second viewing, but they were distracting at times on first viewing.

Not sure Lynch thought of it in terms of tv as opposed to an 18 hour movie, though perhaps that in itself suggests a disinterest in the conventions of television.

Edgard Varese and bopdd like this.
  23. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

It's been a while since I read up on the series but if I remember correctly, it was originally supposed to be shorter. Then Lynch asked for more money and somewhere along the way, the bigger budget became a longer series. I'm drawing from memory here but I feel like it was Lynch who requested a full 18 episodes and I think that was his mistake. If it were say 12 episodes instead, it may have arguably resulted in a tighter story with better production value. Part of me wonders if Lynch wanted to draw upon his meditation experience and really make audiences wait for the pay-off, but I think the same balance of patience and pay-off could have been achieved with fewer episodes. In some ways, the entire series was both a testament to unbridled artistic expression and a prime example of artistic bloatedness.

Crungy likes this.
  24. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

My understanding is the script was a giant thing not divided into episodes. Different numbers were floated around but I doubt Lynch really knew until editing finished. It was a lengthy edit too.

25. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Maybe that's why he asked for more money--to accommodate the script you describe. Either way, I think it would have been more effective with a shorter overall runtime. Some episodes and sub-plots added next to nothing to the story or pacing. The problem with an artist like Lynch is that he has the freedom to ignore what might actually be constructive criticism.

MikaelaArsenault and This Heat like this.