Second hand record prices rising well over inflation?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by babaluma, May 31, 2022.

1. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

So are the stores paying more for records now ?

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

IDK I just sold about 60 albums. Some of the covers were sort of worn, some weren't. Generally were in very good to excellent shape. I think a got a slightly below fair price, but I also don't want to spend time packaging and mailing and ebaying...

Still don't the best way to ascertain the value of some of what I have. For instance, a yellow or 'gold' vinyl
    Night Visions by Bruce Cockburn, which I see ranging from $19.00 to $186.00 Or a first pressing of 1972 American Spring LP, (Brian Wilson produces his wife and sister-in law), which I can't find any price for, but man that one was hard to find even in the 70's. I guess a lot depends on the store...

3. GungaLagunga

GungaLagunga c̶r̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ lunch time

What is Not Ever? I'll take Life's Not Fair for $0 dollars, Alex.

4. X3Bowens

X3Bowens Forum Resident

I noticed the crazy prices on used records within the last couple of years. Slim pickings at inflated prices. Also seems like anything VG + and above is extremely hard to find in the record bins. Common titles in mediocre condition, at best, for $20! No Thanks. I passed on those when they were in the bargain bin. I immediately came home and hugged my records!! :hugs:

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

What a depressing shop that will have been. No respect for music whatsoever.

Iving, kt66brooklyn, zphage and 2 others like this.
  6. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident

And someone from the store would go back and rescue the records from the dumpster, right?

RIGHT???

ARK likes this.
  7. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

There is a local store who used to get raided by British soul fans. Kind of laid back not gauging. Very much a music lovers 45 lovers local hangout. But now his prices are ridiculous. He felt burned. Used to be a music lover type shop. Total turnaround. I don’t like the shop anymore he is different. Bitter. He feels burned by the Northern Soul crowd so he raised his prices to not fun levels in my opinion. Been around since the 80s. Music centric. But now all business. Total turnaround. Says he felt taken advantage of. Could be more of a personal journey. Don’t know.

8. Dedicated 45 stores are rare nowadays, it shows how deep the scene used to be. But in the case you speak of it seems he had lots of stock that he didn’t know the value of. The fact that he had lasted into the 90s should have meant he knew about Northern Soul, the word was out. Still he must be doing something right if he is able to still exist. He may have also gotten some lessons from Val Shively, who won’t even let you in the store unless you know what you are talking about and looking for, the Northern Soul boys have to prostrate themselves at his door and give him their lists, lol.

9. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I raised my prices this month. I rent a space in a vintage shop, keeping 700-800 records stocked. I started it about 3 years ago. All the records are priced the same, makes it simple of the shop owner. I started back then at $4 and increased a year ago to $5. I had to go up to $6. I'm having to pay more from my primary source and have invested in record cleaning equipment, poly sleeves, chemicals for my cleaning solutions etc. Fortunately my rent hasn't gone up, but she has started taking non-cash payment so 3% will probably mean the owner will have to start withholding that from my payout each month or adding it to the customer charges, but she hasn't yet. Inflation is affecting everything I guess, even used records at a consignment shop!

black sheriff likes this.
  10. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

But they do, look at ebay , somebody bought a counterfeit record of Man Who Sold the World , German edition round sleeve for over £600, I bought mine 2 years ago for £80 and I thought I was being ripped off, either the poor guy who bought it thought he was getting an original which is worth over £600 -£900 .

11. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

HA! Good one. Maybe if you only want store credit.

Sounds like Half Price Books to me. Home of the $30 Chipmunks record and every Bob James album you never want.

12. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

HMV stores in London are selling their special coloured vinyl editions for crazy prices , £44 for a new Whitesnake album , hits I think and £27 for a repress of the Kinks Face to Face , ridiculous!

13. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

I presume you bought through Ebay!

131east23 likes this.
  14. globule2

globule2 Forum Resident

Can anyone care to share their observations regarding Bowie 45s since his passing?

15. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

You guys paid to have the green dumpster emptied daily? We weren’t so kind. When the poor unfortunates with vinyl collections showed up at our store every morning, we’d mock them unmercifully and make them list to The Nightfly by Donald Fagan on compact disc (CD). Then we’d take them out back, show them the green dumpster, but refuse to let them sully the garbage with their obsolete vinyl albums. It seems cruel now, but most of them (98.7%) thanked us and bought the Dirty Dancing soundtrack on CD before slinking away.

ARK likes this.
  16. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Prime example for the OP. So, $1 record is now 300% to 500% higher. It should be $1.40 or round up to $2 at most if we we look at inflating just based on the costs of everything else. So $20 records should not double either but they are even more so. $20 is now $60.

17. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Thats true like Dynaflex , now they want us to buy only 180gm records , clever !

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The problem with old vinyl is that what looks NM is likely to be VG+ by my standards and played on revealing system. Also pressings were not perfect back in the 60s and 70s as some would have you believe. The more annoying faults tend to have likely been there from new and few people played records on proper hi-fi decks. I probably was the only person I knew who had proper record deck and hi-fi in the 70s. Best you can hope for is a lightly played or unplayed record if you are lucky. Why the lack of rock reissues releases AAA is a missed opportunity by labels. Used records should not be expensive as used generally means worn. No longer cheap enough you can buy a bunch of a title and pick out the best copy. I always buy only 'N/M' for media and unless it's really expensive (more than a new digital repress) I will live with VG+. You will be surprised at difference in price between a first and second press of some titles (second can be as good). Some fairly scarce N/M to VG+ titles can be had for under £30. Fact they pressed a lot likely means little due to the majority being trashed or thrown out. Most N/M copies are now in collections.

Mikewest likes this.
  19. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Im 61 tomorrow and I cant really believe how time flies, but it does and in the meantime I’m buying more and more vinyl, so what do I do, sell it all now or wait until I get dementia and probably someone in the family will say this isn’t needed , or even worse dying and it all going in the dumpster, decisions ,decisions !

timnor, Neonbeam and Stone Turntable like this.
  20. lazydawg58

make a plan

ARK and caravan70 like this.
  21. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Near mint is a rubbish assessment as in the 60s / 70s everybody trashed their records and I cant imagine anyone from that era keeping records sealed or unplayed, now I can believe it as a lot of collectors now are very anal , so all we get now are people on ebay and complete amateurs selling and guessing record gradings and everything in NR Mint or even Mint,and because it looks ok thats what they are grading . The 10 records Ive bought lately 5/10 I've had to return though incorrect gradings , madness !

22. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

All.I cam say is I saw the prices on a few random LPs at 2nd & Charles and walked the **** away.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  23. lazydawg58

You have to translate. NM = VG+, VG+ = VG. And almost all used records are VG if graded properly.

24. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Depends on the country. :)

Segasonic91 and lazydawg58 like this.
  25. lazydawg58

Which countries sellers tend to be more accurate. I normally limit my buying to within country but have occasionally bought from Spain, Germany and the UK, not enough to develop a feel for the accuracy of the grading.