I'm on a trip to your town. Which record store should I hit?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by mr. faded glory, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I went to the Sacramento stores 10 years ago.....all I heard getting out of the car was "you want some?", gangster whistles, etc.. Never went there ever again.

jim249 and Kjasonl like this.
  2. Kjasonl and zphage like this.
  3. Kjasonl

Kjasonl " I'm on a low budget"

Record Lounge. Lansing,Mi. New, vintage vinyl and vintage audio.

4. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

The Record Connection-Waterville, Maine
    Old school, personal service record store.

Kjasonl likes this.
  5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

If your ever downtown Ottawa, Canada, you gotta check out "The Record Centre" on Wellington street.

Best in the business.....

midniteinsanjuan and Kjasonl like this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

well, the entirety of northeast ohio is dominated by a chain called the exchange

they are everywhere, and they are pretty decent stores.....used and new music, movies and games.

but, they have driven out most of the independents, a few of which are still scattered around, but nothing like it used to be.

be forwarned:

of late the exchange has drastically changed their buying and trading policy (blaming it on overstock) and are now paying very small amounts in trade (and even less in cash) for anything you bring in.....even collectibles.

Kjasonl likes this.
  7. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Seeing that all over, the Bookman's chain in Arizona can be like years previous in record/cd trade (I never take cash) in Flagstaff but so terrible in Mesa I don't bother. The "please make an appointment to bring in trade" is laughable. I put one box down in Mesa and was told "that's all you can bring in today". "But what if I give it to this guy standing there to drop box number 2 in the same spot?" "You could do that". Blaming overstock is laughable, they are being cheap.

Kjasonl likes this.
  8. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

In Buffalo (Williamsville actually) be sure to hit Revolver on Transit Road. HiFi Hits on Main St. in Williamsville is also quite good.

9. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Let me know if you’re ever coming town.

mr. faded glory likes this.
  10. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

When I was in St Petersburg last month I checked out Banana Records. They say they have the "largest collection of vinyl in the world", and from my visit to both the warehouse and the retail store I can almost believe it. They didn't have what I was looking for though (the original soundtrack for A Clockwork Orange) so I went away feeling kind of let down.

11. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

I used to shop at Esoteric records on Fulton which had a lot of used recordsof varying quality but fairly priced

12. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

In the Nashville area there is McKays books on Old Hickory blvd. It also has lots of books and movies

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

to follow up.......

just yesterday at an exchange store in hermatige. pennsylvania, i was offered $10 in trade for some CD's and $1.75 in cash.

14. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Better hurry if you want to visit Denver and Twist And Shout, the ex owner owns the building and is trying to get Sprouts or Walmart to buy it for 4 million. The Exchange sounds like the Bookman's chain in Arizona. Buy and trade way off from pre covid.

15. mr. faded glory

mr. faded glory Forum Resident Thread Starter

Will be going to Lebanon MO, near Spring Field for a show later this summer. Anyone have any thoughts on the record shopping there? From the google I'm leaning towards Heavy Heads. We would like to shop in an area with other local shops, restaurants, pubs, ect. in walking distance. Thanks

16. Lynivevoli

Lynivevoli No pressure, No diamonds....

I was at back a round in Fayetteville yesterday. The owner is a great guy and he had some really great stuff. I have to agree with you about the high prices though. Cool shop but too pricey.

17. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I went back a second time in May or June and I should report that the rotation of stock (used CDs at least) is a lot better than the Raleigh stores. The owner is indeed great and if you buy a lot (mine were both $100 or so) he will throw in one or two for free. I'm not thrilled about paying $7.99 for a used CD at a brick-'n'-'mortar store, but hey, that's what I pay on Discogs when taxes and shipping are factored in, so it's not like I'm not used to spending that much. And the selection is very good. I hope to be going back there soon.

uzn007 likes this.
  18. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

$8 for a used CD is ridiculous from brick and mortar in 2-2. This isn't '93.

19. Their website lists the most incredible stuff on a DAILY basis

20. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

250,000 up for sale:

21. peter1

peter1 Now things are looking up!

If you’re ever in Enterprise OR, way up in Wallowa Mountains of NE Oregon, drop in at Ruby Peak Music. It’s a cool homemade kind of place, and the only record store for miles and miles.

mr. faded glory likes this.