Box Set Beefs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Apr 19, 2021.

1. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Neil wants to pretend the album Last Time Around did not exist. And he wants to pretend Jim Messina was never in the Springfield, despite Messina being a big help to Neil on that first solo LP.

2. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

And some are complaining that common songs are included while others complain when they aren’t!

can’t please everyone…

Grant likes this.
  3. mocaw

mocaw Well-Known Member

But this is the only option for many of these songs on CD, correct? Is the Japanese 3-disc version the same mastering?

c-eling likes this.
  4. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Never cared for the song selections from the Warner Lps on The Beach Boys box set

5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

More than likely it's Webb's mastering.
    There is an old Japan comp that contains a few of them, a tad bright for my taste's but at least the dynamics are intact.

mocaw likes this.
  6. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Interesting, though I dismissed the second Byrds box set, each time I play it, it flows better and better. Isn’t Gene Parsons still given short shrift? He sings on Willin’. Though does he share lead vocals on the alternate Oil In My Lamp?

7. 1.The short singles mix of I’m Not In Love on the 10cc box Tenology
    2.No In The Hour Of Not Quite Rain on the Buffalo Springfield box
    3.The Hendrix estate not letting Brian remix Jimi’s set for Woodstock-Back To The Garden
    4.On the first 2 volumes of Neil Young Archives not including 1 track from each of the seminal albums
    5.R.E.M.’s decision to not put any more previously unreleased music on archival releases starting with the box for their 9th album after filling the reissues of the first 8 with unreleased material but including no b sides/rarities on those 8.So their archival program has the gaps of no b sides/rarities for the first 8 and now no unreleased studio/live music for the albums after.

Matthew Tate, Galley, ARod and 3 others like this.
  8. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Would love if Biograph got a 5 CD reissue to match the LP set.
    Like the way Springsteen's Live 1975-1985 did.

Adam9 likes this.
  9. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

The second box is better in terms of content BUT the first one has jewel cases - much better packaging - and was my intro to the band.

Matthew Tate and Booyaa73 like this.
  10. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I am generally a fan of box sets..I guess I am in the middle orbit.. Imo e the vinyl and CDs in one box as I play both formats equally.
    My pet peeve is useless trinkets and unnecessary packaging.
    The Zappa Halloween releases being the perfect example..

Anthrax likes this.
  11. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

other than different songs on cd/vinyl i think they are great. to find a 'beef' with them seems to be just trying to create some discontent. few of the comments above are general 'beefs'!

12. A-Tone

A-Tone camera shy

No PDF of the book/track info etc or MP4/whatever version of the DVD provided with digital versions of the Prince SDE's so far. The digital versions are not a kick in the backside off £100. I mean, c'mon!
    It's digitalist.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. Timos

Timos Forum resident

I don’t suppose anyone has a really big issue with The Beatles Mono CD box - to the extent that they’d like to offload their copy somewhere in my direction…?

:)

Adam9, DrJ, Lost In The Flood and 3 others like this.
  14. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The studio album box sets restored those tracks, but the big annoyance for me with the 1983-1998 set is that the bonus disc omits some of the Ray Wilson B-sides, like "Banjo Man." Whether those tracks are any good is sort of beside the point - it's hard to find out if they're any good when an otherwise complete collection of studio recordings omits a small number without explanation. (Rather like the already-discussed exclusion of the "Dallas" single from Steely Dan's Citizen.)

Lost In The Flood and Blimpboy like this.
  15. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Google is your friend

16. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

My intro to the band, too. And I prefer jewel cases. Though, ELO Flashback, Moody Blues Time Traveller and a number of box sets use that style of packaging. Though the booklet is far better in the second box set. No color photos in the 1990 box set just tinted B&W ones.

17. RunningWithScissors

RunningWithScissors Forum Resident

I understand the point you’re making, but even as a die hard fan I have very little interest in alternate mixes, demos, etc.

On the other hand, I’d love to hear completed tracks that didn’t make the final cut of an album as well as live versions from that particular album’s tour. I keep getting the impression that in order to have “enough” material for a box set, many bands (or their label) really scrape the bottom of the barrel.

18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Which box set? Which songs would you have chosen?

19. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

All I want to do and Steamboat. Missing from first set

pool_of_tears likes this.
  20. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

Good call on the Calling All Station B-sides. It seems the band will just exclude tracks if one or members dislikes them.

Archive #1 was pretty exhaustive, with what they could find at the time.

The period box sets are great too, but they didn't carry over any of the live material, so if you want everything, you still need to pick up both Archive sets.

21. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Archive 1 says the 1975 "...it" had to be re-recorded from scratch because the tapes are missing, but Wolfgang's Vault has the same Lamb show in its entirety, complete with "...it." I believe the Wolfgang's stream also has Gabriel's original vocals instead of the re-recorded ones, but I'd need to go back and check.

The live box doesn't include any of the live B-sides or tracks that had appeared on Archive 2, and the booklet with it says there's nothing else worth releasing, implying that they'd changed their minds about those tracks. A little later on they also changed their minds about how to spell "Archive."
    [​IMG]

22. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Biggest beef for me is inadequate liner notes especially for track info and that goes for regular compilation CD sets too. I like to see for each track it's source information like album or single for instance and whether it's been released before. The more info on previously unreleased tracks the better. I use this info to tag my CD rips and I spend a lot of time digging through discogs, wikipedia and other places sometimes to find track info. Some sets are great for this and others are horrible. Today I was ripping the 3 CD set from Blondie and there was basically nothing for a lot of tracks.

23. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

I didn't and it was my first gamble/introduction to Dylan.......I loved most of the rarities and just about all of the album tracks.....excpet mine didn't come with the booklet!

24. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

I've bitched about this elsewhere on this forum, but ...

I was pretty disappointed that Bob Dylan's recent Bootleg Series Vol. 16: Springtime In New York only contained one track from his David Letterman appearance on March 22, 1984. This marked Dylan's only performance with drummer Chalo Quintana and bassist Tony Marsico of the L.A. punk band Plugz (later Cruzados) and guitarist JJ Holiday. It's undoubtedly some of the best rock & roll out of Dylan during the 1980s, specifically this raging version of Jokerman (not included on the box set):

25. Booyaa73

Booyaa73 Often wrong, never in doubt.

Huh? Don't those CD's each contain 2 different mixes? You're saying neither is the original?

Michael likes this.