Box Set Beefs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Apr 19, 2021.

1. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

Correct. Original stereo mixes were included in the... MONO CD set, as a bonus. Stereo box set has the George Martin remixed versions.

Lost In The Flood and dlokazip like this.
  2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Rush - R40
    The bonus disc is not available separately. Hardcore fans already had all the other discs.

George Carlin - All My Stuff
    Who came up with the spiral-fold packaging? Who wants to roll out the entire thing to get out one disc?

Aerosmith - Pandora's Box
    I think this would have been definitive had the studio version of "Kings And Queens" had been used. The live version is not that great and was already available on Classics Live.

Laurie Anderson - United States Live
    Part one could have fit on one CD, but they took the last three tracks and had them open the second CD. Messes up the flow.

And, of course, any and all pricey multi-disc box sets with exclusive surround DVDs and Blu-rays. Those should be available separately.

3. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

edited "Who Scared You" pi$$ed me off ....

Matthew Tate, tedg65 and dlokazip like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Nope...sadly...to get those you have to buy the MONO CD box...

musicfan37 and dlokazip like this.
  5. Booyaa73

Booyaa73 Often wrong, never in doubt.

I have the mono box too. So I've got 4 different mixes of Rubber Soul and NONE of them have the false start on "I'm Looking Through You".
    I guess that's my boxed set beef.

6. Michael

That’s on the Capitol Versions Box Volume 2...from the original Capitol American master tapes. The Capitol “Rubber Soul” is not the version on the 2009, Mono, etc. box sets.

7. Booyaa73

So I've heard, but I'm not buying that. YouTube will suffice.

8. Michael

That’s cool if it works for you....it’s all about the music when it comes down to it. : )

9. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

My Beef, to many box sets which include vinyl, keep Analog and digital apart.

Analog guys should get bonus material on vinyl, rather than having to buy sets for CDs with bonus material.

Digital guys should not be forced to fork out for useless 12 inch coasters.

Blondie seem to have got it right King Crimson seem to have got it right.

The Doors, Queen, Wrong

10. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

Amen, brother.
    Exactly why I passed on recent Kinks super deluxe sets. Replace the vinyl with a hi def sound Blu-ray and voila! You can take my money.

Theacademyinperil likes this.
  11. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

As was recently pointed out in another thread, the Radiohead In Rainbows discbox is millimeters too tall for an Ikea Kallax :realmad:

CHALKERS and CharlieClown like this.
  12. Comicsanstombstone

Comicsanstombstone Forum Resident

I was a bit underwhelmed by the Lush "box". No liner notes; I know that's part of 4AD's minimalist aesthetic,but it seemed like a wasted opportunity. Also, the discs were packed to 80 minutes+ and skip on my player. They probably could have left off some of the demos, which are pretty shaky.

13. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

The way the discs are held on the joy division box set "heart and soul". It has 4 discs overlaying each other and one of the spindle things broke. 2 of the discs have a lot of surface scratches as a result.

It's such a great box, and with a sturdy cover. it really pissed me off that they couldn't have thought something as basic through and just had sleeves for the discs.

14. Booyaa73

The plastic trays in my Monkees' "Music Box" came unglued. I had to superglue them back in but the trays are transparent so the glue shows through and makes them look ugly.

You can also add "putting out a box set too soon". I always had the idea that a box set was a capstone to a career. But then an artists keeps cranking out more albums that aren't represented. Which of course, creates the need for yet another boxed set, which includes new tracks but leaves others off.

rockerreds likes this.
  15. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

The kinks boxset "picture book" had some rather dubious choices for a 6 disc box set. Including leaving the original versions of "dedicated follower" and "come dancing" off and including a dreadful sounding version of "dead end st". And no "wonderboy" either.

16. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

That Long Santana and Moody Blues sets suck big time!

17. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The Who Sell Out Super Deluxe.

The physical release omits two of the most wanted Pete Townshend demos: I Can See For Miles and That Motherland Feeling / Rael. The download version (CD quality) does include the I Can See For Miles demo, but has no digital booklet.

18. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

Wo, do we know why they were excluded? Are the cds filled to the brim ?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

The previously unreleased live version of "Isis" made Dylan's "Biograph" worth the price of admission, AFAIC

:edthumbs:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    Adam9, ndtbd, jmxw and 1 other person like this.
  20. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

With all of the great bootleg stuff -- Roxy 1975 (I think it was '75, right?) -- that I had heard, I was stunned at how crappy this Springsteen box was.

That's the one that I've had that I would place as the #1 Worst Box.

I also -- as did you @babyblue -- jettisoned this box soon after buying it.

Matthew Tate, Muzyck and babyblue like this.
  21. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Wrong. It was I Can See For Miles band version alternate mix that was included on digital release and that was long available on 2009 Deluxe Edition.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

I always hated that the Pere Ubu box omitted 1 song from "Song of the Bailing Man" and the Lonesome Cowboy Dave single, but the influences disc was such a cool idea.

SmallDarkCloud and tonyballz like this.
  23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

I didn't like that live Springsteen box either.
    I saw him in Ottawa a few days before Christmas in '75.Wish I had a recording of that show. It was fantastic.

Adam9, tedg65 and john lennonist like this.
  24. Michael

25. Michael

The one that pissed me off the most was the AQUALUNG LARGE ANNIVERSARY LP SIZED BOX...with added useless vinyl and they incorporated the CDs into the album cover wow, that sucked.