The Rolling Stones 1966-1967

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ZoJo9800, Feb 25, 2022.

1. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

I wasn't "there" but I disagree as well.

2. dbspurs

dbspurs Forum Resident

Im assuming you missed the smiley face from my tongue in cheek response so now I've got to be serious. OK, here goes....

Animals, Pretty Things, Yardbirds, Kinks, Small Faces, The Who, Them, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and probably a few more if I had a good think.....all made at least 1 album that would rank above any Stones album pre Beggars Banquet imo.

I'm sure this will irk most of the contributors to this thread but those Stones albums really aren't that great.

Be gentle with me :D

NumberEight, Amnion and Wurzelsepp like this.
  3. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Yeah, those dictators have weird ideas about art. A bit off topic, but a cool music story. Hitler had an exhibition of "Degenerate Art" including music by many modern composers. The Hungarian composer Bela Bartok wrote personally to Hitler outraged by this. He was outraged that he wasn't on the list. These were his most admired composers and he wanted to be considered "degenerate" by the Nazis too, like the rest of them. Music is political.

4. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

The '89 version (ABKCO 1231-2) has served me well enough. Rolling Stones Now! is indeed superb.

5. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Of course you know this means war.

6. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

No worries m8, we're not Beatles fans..............:D

7. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Yeah !!! We Stones fans are tough, man !
    :ed: :thumbsup:

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  8. pizzaland

pizzaland Child of the 1960s

That YOU would rank.

9. old school

old school Senior Member

How can we be gentle with you? You’re comments are way off the norm. You know it we know it! Nothing more to say but I can’t take you seriously Lol. You play it safe with no information no name nothing to show you are a serious member. We have no choice but to be gentle.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    Amnion likes this.
  10. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Now William... we must be kind to the wrong.:winkgrin:

11. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I don't agree with all your examples, but your inclusion of Blues Breakers (to which I'd certainly add A Hard Road) definitely makes me think you have a point. :)

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  12. dbspurs

dbspurs Forum Resident

It might not be a widely held opinion but I'm sure I'm not alone.

Do I need to be a sheep and say they're great albums for my opinion to be valid or taken seriously?

I'm sure there are plenty of albums by major artists that you don't like so are you saying that you would just say they're great because it's classed as the norm to say they're great.

Now I love the Beggars Banquet to Goats Head Soup period. All those albums are either in my top 100 or just outside. The early albums to me are not a patch.

In my opinion those 60's albums pale in comparison to the best albums of the period be it by other major R&B bands of the era or by Dylan or The Beatles or The Byrds or even (shock horror) The Beach Boys.

NumberEight likes this.
  13. dbspurs

dbspurs Forum Resident

I actually revisited a bunch of mid 60's albums a couple of months ago and I was surprised at how much i enjoyed those albums by The Animals, Them and The Pretty Things as I'd previously given them pretty short shrift.

I then went back to those Stones albums the next day and I was just underwhelmed. Like I said it's not a widely held opinion but what more can I say!?

I might be pushing it a bit with the first Small Faces album but definitely would have A Hard Road and Bluesbreakers over any of those Stones albums.

14. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

15. old school

old school Senior Member

Your talking 9 albums from Englands Newest Hit Makers to Their Satanic Majesties Request. All big sellers second only to the Beatles. Every album has something for everyone to like especially the singles which are mind boggling. I would match those early Stone albums against all comers.

16. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

...it was blessed times...! sure the Rolling Stones were not the only ones but they have done more than six great albums of this great music.!..(not the case of many of the others.... )

17. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Now you’re talking. I didn’t realise American artists were up for grabs! :)

18. dbspurs

dbspurs Forum Resident

If you read back you'll see that I said they were a great singles band during that period.

19. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Quite so!
    It may not be your favourite Stones album or an album that defines the Stones in a particular way but it surely is a fascinating album.
    Not for everyone but...

20. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I've always enjoyed the album more than Sgt. Pepper's. :hide:

21. dbspurs

dbspurs Forum Resident

Thanks for taking some heat off of my opinion :D

22. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

Which one / more info. please

23. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

Eric ruled Jagger !

24. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Should have used ALL CAPS. Gets the point across better.

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'll dare to go a step further. I'd say that pretty well ALL the white Brit/Irish rockers albums up to 1966... weren't really all that good (I'm only talking about the purer UK versions - the US versions were bolstered by the inclusion of strong singles). Of course, it wasn't really the age of albums. The exceptions would be (as if you didn't know) The Beatles.
    Even in 1966, I'd say that only The Kinks' Face To Face came somewhere close to the fab 4's level (among UK/Irish bands).