The Rolling Stones 1966-1967

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ZoJo9800, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

I agree somewhat, but in my case anyway I'm just not that analytical. Stones "Now" is a gem.

2. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

I've always had an interest in this time frame as well, especially the 1967 European tour, the last with Brian Jones, when Keith played a Les Paul. Some recordings exist, but an official release would be cool.
    Here's Brian Jones on the recorder live in Paris:

3. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Absolutely correct, IMO. I cannot see how this could be a controversial opinion. Satanic is flawed but has some fantastic music on there. Pepper is wet.

4. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I’m listening again, right now, to see if something clicks. Love “She’s A Rainbow”, “2000 Light Years” but I’m not hearing anything else that isn’t unfocused not-even-songs. I mean, even “Blue Jay Way” and “Flying” are more interesting and better played.

And I love psych Stones when it’s good, love Dandelion, etc. But this record is a misfire.

The best thing about this record was it kicked the band in the butt to do something much better afterwards. Which they did.

limoges likes this.
  5. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Perhaps you should try listening to it on acid. :D

6. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I add “The Lantern to those two songs ( “She’s A Rainbow”, “2000 Light Years” )

Those are the only three I play from this album.

7. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Get Yourself Together. A great Stones song from mid-summer 1966. Stones do Dylan do Otis Redding. Should have been released long ago with Looking Tired as well. Actual SONGS, not riffing.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

The last time I listened to music on acid, I set the needle onto a record and hundreds of MC Escher multi-colored lizards sparked out of the grooves and bounced off of the vinyl onto the carpet, like a bunch of bouncing tennis balls.

That was enough.

9. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

"Oh Daddy, be proud of your planet /
    Oh Mummy, be proud of your sun"

I love "2000 Man"...

Bill Diercks, Zack, ZoJo9800 and 7 others like this.
  10. John54

John54 Senior Member

and "I am having an affair with a random computer"

ZoJo9800, TeddyB, andrewskyDE and 5 others like this.
  11. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

[​IMG]

12. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Citadel is brilliant.

Bill Diercks, Hep Alien, dsdu and 9 others like this.
  13. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

So you physically pull this vinyl or CD and just play those 3 tracks? Wow.

Chemically altered likes this.
  14. treaclefingers

treaclefingers Señor Miembro

And I prefer it to poppy psych Beatles!

15. treaclefingers

treaclefingers Señor Miembro

Well Citadel, 2000 Man, In Another Land are all great...even Sing This Song Altogether has a shambolic likeability. On With The Show, while not a great track on it's own is a perfect album closer for this foray into psychedelia.

16. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

"On With The Show" has an inherent non-musical mystery: how did Jagger get this Warholian idea of taping people with a cassette recorder? It ends with some woman at a party and she asks: "You're not recording this, are you?" Mick: "No, I'm not."

17. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

Yes, I only listen to A Day in the Life from their 1967 album...
    But then again, it is the Beatles' best recording.

[​IMG]

treaclefingers likes this.
  18. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Let us know what you think.

19. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

Is this the best live sound from this period?

Here is also Brian pictured with the recorder (16:39)
    The Rolling Stones Live 11/04/1967, L'Olympia, Paris 1967 - FULL

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  20. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

From what little I know, I think so, unless there is a TV performance somewhere, everything else seems to be audience tapes, this seems the only broadcast, unless the band ran their own tape, which was probably not done. I still hold out some hope they did, but so far nothing has emerged. If anything, this seems the best candidate for some kind of official release.

Europe 1 radio broadcasted this show for their program Musicorama, so they may have the original tape and the complete performance, mono I’d imagine, so it may exist in better quality in their archive. Various “dubs” exist, under various titles, some have cobbled together the complete show, as Google will reveal.

Update: Apparently this did have an official release from ABKCO for copyright preservation on iTunes around 2018 titled “‘67 Sessions”, the links, such as they are, or were, are not available for those in the USA so if you search from Europe you may be able to see if they still exist, though it seems unlikely. So, it is there, but so far that’s all there has been. Some reports are that the sound quality of this Olympia show is similar to that of the existing “dubs.”

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  21. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I’m a big defender of The Stones later material.
    I’m also very tired of those who think Brian Jones was the beginning and ending of The Stones. In my mind he was absolutely not that important.

That said, I’m VERY fond of his musical contributions on diverse instruments. And therefore I’m a really big fan of Between The Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request.
    They are, for me, much more interesting than Aftermath. Aftermath (UK) has most of Side 1 and a couple of Side 2 songs which are great.
    On Buttons it’s nearly the whole album I enjoy. Same with Satanic, save for that acid-jam on Side 1. I really think those 2 albums are fantastic and not least because of Jones’ creativity on diverse instruments where he often plays counter-melodies under the songs.
    I will defend those 2 albums for the rest of my days. They are misunderstood classics.
    And that’s not to say that what they did afterwards was not better -it was, but show some love and respect for Buttons and Satanic. They are adventurous masterpieces.

22. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

....In the grass!

23. All Down The Line

Under My Thumb
    Lady Jane
    Mother's Little Helper
    Out Of Time &
    Iam Waiting

Would like a word!

A well respected man likes this.
  24. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I keep hearing the raves on this forum (you got eight "likes" on your post -- showing the support for this song).

But I've played Citadel a bunch of times and I just don't get it.

I also don't get why The Lantern is so rarely mentioned as one of the album's best.

:confused:

25. All Down The Line

Now playing She Smiled Sweetly from......

Between The Buttons 1967
    The Rolling Stones

UK Mono Decca Cat: LK 4852
    Polylined Company Inner Bag
    Matrix: 6A/4A

[​IMG]

[​IMG]